Modern Arnis...a dead art?

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by Bob Hubbard, May 17, 2007.

1. hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands New Member

still is 'mate! the sad part is that a lot of the people teaching arnis in high schools aren't actual practitioners. some of them just picked up arnis from PE teachers before them who really just picked up a book and tried to teach their students on what their interpretation was.

their focus on teaching the art wasn't really there. kinda like teaching basketball or baseball. once you get a few shots in, or if you're able to hit the ball with the bat, you get your passing grade.

i found that out later when i saw how different it was to be studying under a real arnisador.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Do you think it at least helps get people interested in the art? Nothing I ever studied in P.E. in high school ever got me interested in it.

3. David F

David F New Member

Personally my view is Modern Arnis suffered an immense loss with the passing of Professor Remy, but it will continue to live and grow as long as there are dedicated practitioners committed to furthering their skills and understanding. .

Dan Anderson and Bob were correct in my view with there statements.

From what I have seen of Modern Arnis in the Philippines, Professor Remy Presas in a way provided his followers with a framework on which to further explore. By this I mean to further explore the material he transmitted to them in their training with him, but also in their exploration of other FMAs as well as other martial arts systems. All the Senior Msasters in the Philippines I met have evolved from what they were taught by Professor Remy and this can only benefitthe art.

4. hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands New Member

that's the whole idea of arnis being integrated in PE. unfortunately, i'm not sure it's that effective.

based on my experience, the people who i know that practice arnis got their influences from watching seminars, relatives who used to practice the art, etc. not a lot of them mentioned that they continued to practice even after PE, because they liked what they were taught. i myself took the PE-arnis class, forgot about it when i went to college, but got reunited with the art through my father-in-law who's a practitioner.

please don't nail me to the cross when i say that PE-arnis sucks. it's just the damned truth. Most PE teachers have done more damage than good by being that bad at it. Hell, a lot of them even ride on the numerous misconceptions!

if someone wants to learn the true meaning of the art, i suggest that he/she should look outside of their high school PE class. there's really just so much more to it that just crackin' your stick on someone's noggin'. go out and look for the true masters, not PE teachers, and i swear YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

5. eskrimador

eskrimador New Member

GM Remy died, but Modern Arnis keeps evolving.....

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Seen on MT.

Alive and well in France:

[yt]FQX3bEHW-1g[/yt]

7. Matt Lim

Matt Lim New Member

Nice, France!

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

9. Baddmojo

Baddmojo New Member

I think to say Modern Arnis is dead is rather insulting. It's like saying JKD is dead. Although the founder has passed on, the art lives through his students. "And thads' all I gottda say bout that"(My best Forrest Gump impersonation).

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I think the analogy to JKD is a good one. There are now different lineages of Modern Arnis evolving. Soon we'll speak of Modern Arnis through the lineage of so-and-so compared to Modern Arnis through the lineage of such-and-such. It's effects are still felt even as it is changed by others.

11. Fiddlesticks

Fiddlesticks New Member

My thoughts exactly.
    If a martial art is only considered alive if it's founder is still alive, that would mean there are only a handful of martial arts that would actually be considered 'alive' today. Taekwondo, Kenpo, all Okinawan karate styles, etc. - would all be considered dead. :nixweiss:

Also, for those whose parents have passed - are you now dead, or have you taken what you learned from them and continued to evolve and grow based on their teachings and influence? Seems rather rhetorical to me...

12. anubis4b

anubis4b New Member

If Modern Arnis is dead, then I'm in heaven!!!!! My children and I have been blessed to study under Datu Hartman, meet some of the most wonderful people, all while having a great time.

13. Far Walkers Moon

Far Walkers Moon New Member

In truth I have skiped reading most of the answers but want to say that from what I have seen and those that I have had the oppertunity to greet, the art is alive and well.