Modern Arnis...a dead art?

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by Bob Hubbard, May 17, 2007.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

On another forum, the comment was made by a poster that he considered Modern Arnis a dead FMA art as of Remy's passing in 2001.

My opinion is that it is not dead, but very much alive as it continues on today, under the guidance of numerous individuals who were taught the art by Remy, who have carried on the work he began, and continued to research and extend and preserve it.

But, what are your thoughts?

Modern Arnis. A live art, or a dead memory?

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I would say that the individual in question then knows very little about Modern Arnis. Modern Arnis is still thriving around the world!

3. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

I would consider the source.

4. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Its most certainly not dead, but it has suffered a terrible loss with the Professor's passing.

Just by hearing posthumous stories about him, it seems to me that he was clearly more than a great martial artist. He was a leader, a motivator, a friend, a confidante, and someone willing to go all over the world to introduce strangers to the Filipino arts.

There were many hurt feelings and dashed expecations when he passsed away, and there continue to be squabbles. Sometimes I hear something to the effect of "This didn't happen when the Professor was alive." Well...no it didn't because he had the leadership to make decisions. He also had the charisma and perhaps more importantly the stature to make the decisions stick.

Now the Modern Arnis community has been growing and changing and continuing to find its own way, sharing memories and stories of the beloved professor and even...sometimes...reaching out to each other to help one another succeed.

I think the future is quite bright. :)

5. JBrainard

JBrainard Arnis Yellow/Green belt

There may continue to be squabbles, but it seems that there is more comradery amongst different FMA practitioners than strife.

6. SAL

SAL Junior Member

Maybe for the coffee and danish crowd Modern Arnis is dead because hatred is clouding their vision.
    As for the rest Modern Arnis community, it is alive and well and getting along much better. Considering all that we've been through, I think that we have made good progress and will continue to do so. My own group is larger than ever and continues to grow with a good mix of young and old and from various other art forms. As long as we stay focused on training and avoid the politics we will continue to thrive and grow while keeping Professor's dream alive.
    "Bring a Stick", leave the politics home.

Sal :bow:

7. Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson Member

In the words of Frank Zappa, "Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny."

Sorry folks, that's the first thing that came to mind.

Modern Arnis dead since the passing of Prof. Remy? Au contraire. Modern Arnis is flourishing. The only thing is that there is no organization or lead figurehead for the art. Before his passing there was no disputing who was the head and source of Modern Arnis - Remy Presas. Now we have many of us who are leading our own groups. We all have a different flavor of what we have been taught.

I liken Modern Arnis to Baguazhang historically. The founder of baguazhang, Donghaichuan, taught established martial artists. He adapted his teaching to the capabilities of the student and according to his background. Cheng Ting Hua was a suiai jiao wrestler berfore training with Dong. His bagua is laced with close quarters combat and many throws. Yin Fu was a northern Lohan Shaolin expert. His bagua is quick and longer ranged. They learned the same set of principles from the same teacher. Each school trains the same principles yet has its own flavor.

The students who have gone on with Modern Arnis have varying backgrounds. Their Modern Arnis is influenced by what they previously trained in and what they have trained in since then. That is the natural order of things.

Since going to the Philippines to the 1st Remy Presas Memorial Training Camp last year, I have seen for myself that there is no "pure Remy Presas Modern Arnis" on the face of the planet. None. Modern Arnis was always an evolving art when Remy Presas was alive and will continue to evolve under his surviving students.

Yours,
    Dan Anderson

8. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Art Evolves, It Lives

Modern Arnis far from dead! It lives in all of those whom are still teaching & training. As each one continues the ever evolving adventure of martial arts training, Modern Arnis is a living martial art, that itself evolves thru the experience of each of its practitioners. No it is not dead. :bow:

9. Matt Lim

Matt Lim New Member

Whoever thinks that modern arnis is dead doesn't just smells funny, he stinks. Stinks of envy that is. Jazz.....

10. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

I'd heard the comment a few times before then though, over the last few years. The basic premise of course being that without Remy at the helm, the ship's done for.

Now, there are arts that are 'dead'. There are even those who will study a dead variant of Modern Arnis...always has been, always will be.

Remy kept evolving his art, and as he moved ahead, he often left some people behind. They kept working where he had been, but failed to keep up with him. Some stayed there. Those are the ones studying the 'dead' arnis.

Others, went in their own direction, made it 'theirs', and grew a branch off the main tree.

In the mean time, Remy kept adding new rings to the tree, dropping seeds here and there like a Filipino Johnny Appleseed, and even though the Master Gardener is gone, the orchard he planted continues to grow, and bear fruit. Like any fruit, it will vary from tree to tree, some a little sour, some a little sweet, but at it's core, always Presas Arnis.

So, I don't see it dead, just continuing on where Remy left off.

11. hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands New Member

dead? dead?! that guy must be joking! i'm practicing with one such group now, and it's been growing in numbers to be honest. i also know of several within Metro Manila and in the Visayas/Mindanao areas.

sheesh!! maybe he/she should check before posting such non-sense.

12. hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands New Member

dead? dead?! that guy must be joking! i'm practicing with one such group now, and it's been growing in numbers to be honest. i also know of several within Metro Manila and in the Visayas/Mindanao areas.

sheesh!! maybe he/she should check before posting such non-sense.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Growing in numbers in the Phil.? Great news!

14. Haku

Haku New Member

The art is alive, I just wish the politics where dead.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Heh. Well said.

16. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Absolutely! [​IMG]

17. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

how can the art be dead with so many people who still study modern arnis?the art will continue to live through them.

18. young blade

young blade New Member

I grew up in the philippines. I remember when I was at sophomore high school, we took up the basics of arnis in P.E. class. Just like judo in japan and taekwondo in korea, it's sort of a mandatory thing according to our teacher. I don't know if it's still part of the high school curriculum nowadays....I hope so

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I know Remy Presas played a big role in getting arnis into the schools in the 1970s.

20. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Amen to that. Welcome to FMAtalk, Haku!