Miscellaneous Modern Stick Usage.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Feb 21, 2006.

1. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

That is so true thats why I want a cane made of 'bahi'. Good cane and good weapon.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Attached Files:

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Clubs Used in Bolivia.

Bolivians retake airport from national troops

The picture in this paper showed men with clubs who had re-taken the airport from soldiers. From another source:

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Pakistan.

Lots of pictures in the paper recently showing riot sticks being swung in Pakisatn the past few days...in a quick search I only came up with a non-action shot:

Attached Files:

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've been seeing lots of pictures in the news about Kenya that show men with sticks (including what are obviously boards taken from a structure) and machetes.

Attached Files:

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The use of clubs (and machetes) in Kenya continues:

Helicopters swoop to save Kenya refugees

The slideshow here has many pictures of machetes and sticks being waved. Obviously, they're also being used.

Attached Files:

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

In addition to the panga (machete), apparently there's a traditional regional stick weapon:

Attached Files:

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Attached Files:

9. tellner

tellner New Member

The knife, the big knife, and the knob-stick are the fundamental traditional weapons of Man from Swaziland to Saskatchewan.

10. tellner

tellner New Member

Trench maces were important weapons in WWI. The German version, a two to three foot stiff coil spring with a spiked ball on the end, was later turned into a police and self defense weapon and is one of the distant ancestors of the ASP police baton.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, but this was given a particular name which unfortunately I did not write down--I just didn't know a weapon by name from there as I do know jo and dan bong and baston and such. That's what caught my attention!

12. scubamatt

scubamatt New Member

In the picture with the bows (previous page of this thread) those are slings not slingshots. Slingshots use elastic bands for power, those are slings which use rotation.

That is still a great photo, though, because modern use of slings is very rare, and very inaccurate unless you've trained a long time with them. On the other hand, a sling that size/length, hurling a stone that size, is more than capable of killing an unarmored man out to around 100 meters (and with a lead ball, out to 200 meters). I spent most of a year training to use a sling, because of my interest in military technology (and I'm in the SCA). I could routinely hit a man sized target at 50 meters, and I could hit the same target at 100 meters more than half the time. I used golf balls at a driving range - ammo was cheap, the targets well marked, and the safety factor was adequate. With more practice and lead ammo, I feel quite sure I could kill a man at those ranges using a sling.

The Greeks and other ancient cultures had regular troops who specialized in the sling (they trained them from childhood), and combined them with skirmisher infantry to brutal effect. The sling was easy to manufacture, and easy to resupply, but required extensive practice for accuracy, and they could not be used in dense formations - this is why the bow replaced it over time. Manufacturing lots of bows could be done by government sponsored militaries, required less training to be effective, and could be fired in mass volleys by closely spaced archers (multiplying the shock effect of arrows).

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, thanks! I think I knew the distinction at some level but never thought about it.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Khirbet Susiya Journal
    Cameras Emerge as a Tool in a Conflict Over Land

Attached Files:

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The current unrest in Thailand.

Thai leader orders protesters ousted from airports

Thai protesters seize police officer as tensions at Bangkok airport standoff escalate

Eh, having batons isn't exactly being unarmed, but I suppose I know what they mean.

My point in this thread remains---it can still pay to know how to use a stick in this world!

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Bikers brawl through Australian airport; 1 dead

19. chiangmaiheadman

chiangmaiheadman New Member

during the airport takeover in Bangkok, members of the UDD were trained by former Thai army general to use staves for self-defense and for a possible attempt to forcibly remove PAD from the airport.

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member