Miscellaneous Modern Stick Usage.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Feb 21, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Santa Fe artist's work screams of injustices

This is a story on a photo book of the horrors in Rwanda and Sudan ("Africa: The Holocausts of Rwanda and Sudan"). The story itself is quite depressing. However, I wanted to comment on this small part of the story:

We watched an episode of Conquest recently. It discussed stone-age weapons, starting with the stick and progressing to the club, etc. In this day and age, though, there are still people going into battle armed soley with sticks.

There is a slide show of four images here; the third one shows a young boy with a rifle.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Clubs and the Great War.

Speaking of stick usage in armed conflicts post-firearms, we watched the "Trench Warfare" episode of Conquest tonight. They showed trench knives, of course, but indicated that there were also medieval-style clubs used in the trenches, and even demonstrated a person invading (with others) an enemy trench with a rifle in one hand and a spiked club in the other. Is this accurate? I'm sure it happened sometime, somewhere, but they made it seem as though club usage was common in WWI trench warfare.

3. seibukan

seibukan New Member

It looks like there was some club usage. This site would be the place to find out moore (has a nice edged weapons section too)

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=93561&highlight=trench+club

[​IMG]

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I knew of trench knives, but not trench clubs! It's amazing to me how late in the technological era the stick remains a viable and used weapon.

Welcome to the site, by the way!

5. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

How bout the simplicity of the Sudanese Freedom Fighter knife methods...Jab, Grab & Stab. Can't get any easier to master and very functional to say the least.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Stick usage in Dhaka and Kanchpur (Bangladesh).

Dhaka put under siege, streets turn battlefields

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Rattan Canes for Whippings.

An article on Islamic Law in Indonesia discusses the application of the rattan cane in judicial punishment.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Club Used in Brazil.

Brazilian Indians storm mining complex

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

More on Primitive Weapons in Sudan.

Poisoned Arrows vs. Machine Guns

Only a preview online, but the article goes on to state that most people carry a bow and arrows and "[m]any also carry spears and swords" for protection against the rifle-carrying attackers.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Slingshot.

Accompanying the copy of this story in my local paper (Terre Haute, IN) was a picture wherein a "Palestinian uses a slingshot to throw a stone at Israeli border police". I would estimate the length of the slingshot to be about 4 feet.

Again, I am amzed at how often 'primitive' weapons are used in third millenium conflicts.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Slingshots, again.

Police in Tijuana issued sling shots

The photo caption begins "A Tijuana city police officer, who did not want to be identified, displays one of numerous slingshots that were distributed to police..."

Attached Files:

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Club and Pen vs. Mountain Lion.

Wife uses branch, pen to fight off lion

In the version I read in my local paper (a shortened version appears at the end here) it said:

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Slingshots--Seen on MartialTalk.

A slingshot site, with a forum for slingshots and also "Other Primite Weapons" such as the spear, bola, chackrum, knive, sword, bow, atlatl, whip, blowguns, axe, boomerang, siege engines, etc.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Palestinian demonstrator vs. Israelis.

Seen on Yahoo!.

Attached Files:

15. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Sling Shot

There was a great picture in the New York Times (front page) last week of a Palestinian boy using a sling against Israeli army soldiers a hundred yards away. The boy was siloetted against a wall of flames in the background and he was just about to hurl his stone.

I couldn't find the original picture but here's something similar:

http://www.catholicconvert.com/Portals/0/SlingPalestinian.jpg

I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who thought about the biblical reference brought up by the picture.

Best,

Steve Lamade

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Mace in a H.S.

Gary student pulls medieval weapon

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Seen on MT.

91-Year-Old Uses Cane To Fight Off Attacker

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Resident's hammer puts end to attack

19. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, they can be "hidden in plain sight" as the saying goes!