Mind, Body and Kickass Moves FINALLY comes to U.S. Television!

Discussion in 'FMA in the News' started by Carol, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Move over, Human Weapon. ;)

Chris Crudelli's 2004 BBC series "Mind, Body, and Kickass Moves" is finally being shown stateside!

The series has been renamed for U.S. television, and is called "Mind, Body, and Kickin' Moves". The show is on Fox Sports Network's local cable channel...or whatever channel used to be Fox Sports Network local cable channel. 11PM Sundays, with a replay at 2:30AM Wednesdays. (time may vary by market).

Its Comcast Sports Network where I am, Florida Sports Network down in the Sunshine State...check local listings, yada yada yada.

I've heard that they've shown two 30 minute episodes so far, both set in the Philippines. There are several segments that have been posted on YouTube...if you haven't seen the series, IMO it is VERY well done. Worth a look...or a TiVo. :D

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Found it, as Mind, Body, & Kickin' Moves on FSNOH/FSI. Thanks! I'm TiVoing it tonight. Are tonight's episodes the first ones?

3. Seidogirl

Seidogirl New Member

Thanks Carol for letting us all know about this show! I read your post just in time to catch a couple of episodes late last night. The first one was mainly about karate, Chinese MA and chi and the other spent a short time on FMA and Japanese swordsmen. It's an interesting show and much better than Human Weapon, but I wish the host would spend a little more time on each MA instead of maybe 10 minutes on one and then switching to another. I think it would be better to devote an entire show to one type of MA. I have my DVR set to record more later in the week. Thanks again.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

5. Kickass Will

Kickass Will New Member

Glad you like our show. It would have been great to concentrate on the martial arts and masters for longer, but the brief was to be accessible. At least that way I hoped non MA people would get a glimpse behind the door...and maybe venture in a bit further and take up an art. It seemed to work... one of my Sensei's actually thanked me for increasing numbers...it was probably just the time of year.

6. Kickass Will

Kickass Will New Member

BTW it isn't really Crudelli's show at all, he became a semi knowledgeable (?) presenter, hmm if that. In fact we made it in spite of him...

Mind Body & Kick Ass Moves was a team effort, a team that, unfortunately, he excluded himself from.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well, it certainly has a lot of high-quality footage of martial arts experts. I am of course skeptical at times, but I really enjoy it!

8. Kickass Will

Kickass Will New Member

Sceptical...probably a good thing. Although whatever works for you is also a good motto...
    Glad you enjoyed it, the main idea was to open ideas for folks in an entertaining way.

9. pguinto

pguinto New Member

The MA stuff is pretty cool. That said, i confess that i got mixed feelins about this one. Ive seen the youtube clips and there are a couple segments that portray pinoys as superstitious whack jobs.

The segments on spirit channeling, orracions, amulet rituals, sticking your hands into boiling oil, and inserting stones (haring bakal) under the skin do not paint a picture of a civilized people.

The presentation is that these practices are the norm and not the exception.
    To top it off, the locations can make one think that the Philippines is one big ghetto.

Starting @ 3:58
    [yt]CXfZ9C9vJso[/yt]

[yt]2R2Ej-Y_65Y[/yt] [yt]W5r8_ZsLzs8[/yt]

EDIT:
    OMG i just remembered this very disturbing pinoy clip:

[yt]i5hCczfGYv0[/yt]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

In fairness, a lot of the Chinese martial arts shown also could be viewed in that way. There was a lot of chi stuff and demo. tricks, for example. I don't think the FMAs are being singled out. I enjoy watching it and take the more out-there stuff with a grain of salt!

11. pguinto

pguinto New Member

I feel ya, bruttha. Just kinda upsetting. Whenever these things are presented, its presented in a manner that steers one to believe that all of the people, of whatever culture is being presented, believes in the supernatural stuff. In a sense, pointing out that the people arent completely civilized.

I think it is the duty of these shows to point out that some these rituals and beliefs are relevant to the domain of the few and not the many. Personally i feel these shows purposely do not point it out bc they want peeps to make that connection. Next thing you know, the morning hub bub at the office water cooler is about the whack jobs who insert stones into their foreheads and arms... Sad bc it means some peeps will watch it simply for that stuff, people who have no interest in martial arts. But, hey, i guess whatever helps boosts the ratings, right?

The caveat and saving grace of all this is, as arnisador pointed out in another thread, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Any exposure of the Arts to the world populous is conducive to garnering interest and growth to the Arts in general. The show does does portray the martial arts material well.

12. Kickass Will

Kickass Will New Member

We generally filmed where we found the contributors; for example Haring Bakal was in their downtown Manila location, whilst Bakbakan was in their choice of gym. Other places ranged from beaches to backyards. The boiling oil was somewhat inexplicable and certainly not everyday whilst the amulets and oracion, to my mind, fit quite comfortably into the tradition of St Christopher charms etc. We didn't mean to portray the Philippines as anything other than a real and modern place with mighty fine indigenous martial arts. In the UK most people would be unlikely to know anything about the Philippines I hope we generated some understanding and a desire to know more.

13. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

That's part of the culture though, and to some it is very interesting. It would be naive to think that everyone in the Philippines believes in these things. Your hard pressed to find a lot of people that are even aware of Arnis, Escrima and Kali in the Philippines, let alone the rituals and beliefs that accompany their traditions. It's also for television, and the more extraordinary and extreme stuff plays well.

Some of the stuff isn't uncommon though. You can buy blank Anting-anting outside of every major church in the Philippines. You can also buy potions and herbs there. I've seen people sacrifice animals to and put the blood on the new truck they just bought to bless it with luck. These superstitions and what have you are very alive, especially in the provinces.

The show is pretty balanced on the FMA too. It shows Bakbakan in their Makati HQ with all the movie stars and stuff. It shows Balitok at the beach training and it shows the Black Eagle eskrima guys, just hanging out and training in their yard.

I think there has been a lot of good press about FMA and other martial arts lately, and I think it is good for recognition. It shows that FMA is more than just stick fighting which has long been the perception.

Pete

14. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Good enfuff for me, I retract my earlier statement about the PI presented as a ghetto.

Regardless of intent, imo it seems these programs purposely overlook properly informing the public that these mystical rituals are only practiced by a few. None of these shows, including MBKAM, ever make it a point to properly educate the masses about the frequency of such.

To know more about what? The martial arts? The myriad Philippine subcultures? These things are fine, but it is your responsibility as a media
    outlet to present the material more responsibly. Think about it. If you are one of those individuals who know nothing of the Philippines or its people(s), after watching this programming, you would think that the whole of the Philippines is an uncivilized and unmodern culture, filled with backward a$$ voodoo-practicing over-the-top folk. Not once in any of those clips does Chris outwardly come out and inform the masses that these rituals/beliefs are followed by a few devotees and not the whole population. The show does nothing to dispel the notion of the Philippines as a third world country; it merely reinforces it.

Keep in mind, ive watched the recent FMA episodes of Fight Quest, Human Weapon, as well as MBKAM. And MBKAM is the only one that managed to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Dont get me wrong i still like the show and the material. I just wish one of you media outlets would do the right thing and think of the people and the effects the material will have on the world view, as opposed to worrying about what gets ratings.

15. Kickass Will

Kickass Will New Member

Sorry MBKAM left a bad taste in your mouth.

I don't think the practices we showed are uncivilized or unmodern they are different and some, like anting anting, weren't uncommon. We, as a BBC show, filmed what we uncovered, and we were particularly interested in indigenous martial arts, and the associated cultures. We didn't want McDojos stripped of any local roots, we could have filmed that in London.

16. pguinto

pguinto New Member

You've got to be joking. You're presenting material of people fighting hand to hand, with sticks and stones. Civility? Cmon, every martial art is a throwback to our primitive past and primal roots. Nothing wrong with presenting what u uncover. It seems you dont get the gist of my issue. What im saying is present the material responsibly. Dont just present just the surface. It is your duty as a BBC show to properly present information. But we all know the BBC (and America, as well) likes programming that has a lot of shock value.

MBKAM formula:
    - Cool MA stuff
    - But check out these backward ass practices
    - More cool MA stuff
    - However more backward ass practices
    - Even more cool MA stuff
    - Again even more backward ass practices

Conclusion: Phiippines has an effective indigenous MA. The filipinos are still a backward ass people.

Seriously a full third of the programming was presenting mystical stuff and hocus pocus culminating to a guy almost hacking his own arm off. Again, imo the program very much likes presenting material more for its shock value than garnering interest about the Philippines and its people. Your programming doesnt present the Filipinos as spiritual people, it does more to present them as a superstitious folk. Whereas a show like, Fight Quest did a great job of presenting Flips as spiritual.

HOWEVER, with all this said, i still like the show. I like any show that presents martial arts esp FMAs. Just venting about some issues that irked me.

Note: Sorry for all the edits, too many typos. I think faster than i type...

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I didn't get a negative impression of the Phil. at all, nor of the other places they visited. They had men strengthening their penises in China. It was just a particular bunch of martial artists doing something different. I think you're taking this too personally!

18. pguinto

pguinto New Member

It's not the material that bothers me, its the underlying message. Rewatch the clips on the 1st page of this thread. If you can whole heartedly tell me this material isnt being presented in a tongue-in-cheek manner, i'll reconsider my stance on the presentation. Until then, i'll stand by my statement that MBKAM presents filipinos more as a superstitious lot and not a spiritual people.

19. Kickass Will

Kickass Will New Member

I found the Philippines both very spiritual and very superstitious neither of which are unmodern in my book. They are part of the human condition, and not unusual around the world; witness religion and any talk of touching wood, lucky clover, rabbit's feet, St Christopher etc. Depends what you define as modern and doing that wasn't part of our brief.

Each to their own.

20. pguinto

pguinto New Member

You still dont get it do you? It's not the material that left a bad taste, it's how you presented it.

But hey, seeing as how you want to focus on the material, i will reiterate my point. Coming from a Western society, you know as well as i do that there are varying degrees of what is acceptable. We all know that when one rub's a lucky rabbits foot, one doesnt actually believe the rabbit's foot has anything to do with anything. But once you delve into the realm of the belief systems and rituals involving the supernatural, you know that Westerners scoff at such notions that cannot be emperically verified and measured; which brings me to my point.

I reiterate, when programs fail to properly qualify the material by prefacing who actually believes all the hoohah, one is left to believe that all individuals of said people subscribe to it. It is irresponsible to not take into consideration what outside observers might glean from the material when not presented properly. You, as well as many others here, are obviously well educated and may be broadly cultured. And being intelligent, cultured metropolition individuals, we can interpret and decipher the material with an open mind and take it with a grain of salt.

But there are many people worldwide who arent so and also there are those who live in bubbles; extreme eg's could be peeps in Siberia or maybe even some Kansas farmer who's only connection to Asians is Chinese take out. And since your program reaches people worldwide.... Well, hopefully you can see what i am alluding to. Moreover, I never said it was your intention to make Flips look bad. Im just saying the way you presented it can be damaging to the worldwide perception of the pinoy people.

If you want to further debate the issue, then please address the real issue instead of dodging it.

All this said, i still enjoyed the program and will continue to watch/pvr the other episodes as well. My hope is that you as well as other educators can take my gripe as constructive criticism for any future endeavors.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008