Metal-Tipped Sticks?

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Mar 15, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A fellow FMA instructor was speaking to me the other night about sticks with metal caps or inserts. Someone posted a link recently that, coincidentally, shows such a stick; see here, under the heading Carrenza Series ("The Carrenza series sticks with weighted tip palasan rattan sticks."). I've swung baseball bats, billy clubs, and axe handles, but I don't think I've ever handled an intentionally weighted Filipino-style baston. I'd be curious to hear from those who have used them--what do you think about them? Sounds good in largo to me, unless it's weighted enough that you can't control the swing-through well.

Weighted tips are one thing, but this instructor was speaking to me about a type of stick that had a more sword-like shape--not round, but a wooden "stick" with a clear flat side and a dull edge--that was metal-capped so as to get a harder striking surface as well as the extra weight. It was not sharpened. He gave this weapon a specific name but I didn't catch it clearly.

2. Waltyr

Waltyr Member

metal-tipped stick??

"...a type of stick that had a more sword-like shape--not round, but a wooden "stick" with a clear flat side and a dull edge--that was metal-capped so as to get a harder striking surface as well as the extra weight. It was not sharpened...."

Sounds like from what your describing is a wooden, flat-edged arnis stick. The metal part I've never heard of, but is the name of this 'flat-stick' called a 'garrote'? (sp?) In fact, to see if were talking about the same thing, they have 'flat-edged' sticks (w/o metal) at www.pmasupplies.com, and look under there Arnis flat sticks and see if its the same thing that you are describing.

Watler

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, it was 'garrote' (or garrote something, maybe)! Thanks. The flat arnis sticks are exactly what was described to me, down to the pseudo-handle, save that there was a metal cap on the striking end. As I understand it, the cap was more for the cutting-on-impact (though again, it was not sharpened) than for the weight.

4. Waltyr

Waltyr Member

Ya, those garrote's are pretty awesome. I"m looking into picking one up from a couple different sources. Right now I'm just shopping to see if I can get the best price for a flat stick. I've heard that the flat edge can break bone if swung hard enough on a strike. As I was told, alot of homes in the filipines have flat sticks for personal home defense, and for the occasional street gang fight that might ensue!! I'm hoping to pick one up here in a couple of months once relocate.
    As far as training I'm sure that it would help with refining one's blade techniques sense now you have an edge to focus on.

Walter

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Walter, look over at www.kriscutlery.com . That is were I get my garrote's. They have the type of garrote that you are looking for. Most people who use these strike with the smallest flat part of the stick for better penetration and damage.

Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

6. Brian R. VanCise

Hey Walter,

You are moving? Virginia Beach sounds great right about now. When do you take off? Let me know and maybe we can hook up for some training before you go.

Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

7. Waltyr

Waltyr Member

Ya, I'll be leaving Flint in a about 3 weeks for the east coast. I found a permanent position over on there in virginia. I told my instructor over in at the flint dojo about my departure, though Rich is out of town so I haven't been able to get in touch with him yet to let him know.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm going to order one. The pmasupplies.com garrote looked fine to me; is there a better source?

9. Brian R. VanCise

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I have always been happy with Kris Cutlery--but I don't see the garrote at their site?

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I couldn't figure out how to place an order at PMASupplies' site, and the Kris Cutlery garrotte doesn't look like exactly what I'm after (hard to tell from the small picture). I'm looking for another source.

12. Waltyr

Waltyr Member

hmm...

I believe that with PMA supplies, you have to write them an e-mail, tell them what you want, and they'll get back to you with the shipping and total price. Its a little bit slower than the point-n-click method but ya, its the way they run the business.

Another source for a garrote stick would be the site listed below, and with this guy, you have to also write an email, and he'll hook you up with a price and total shipping price as well.

http://www.psdtc.com/Filipino.bladed.weapons.htm

And I thought I knew of another source, but it slips me right now.....I'll see if I can remember later ..oh wait, now I remeber. Here is the address for it:

http://www.sandatacrafts.com/flatkali.php

This company you also have send an e-mail, tell them how many you want, and they will hit you up with a total price with shipping cost. I personally have dealt with this company (eventhough I didn't end up buying from them for a reasons having nothing to do with them!) and they are really good about contacting you in a timely fashion and very professional.

Hope these help.

W.v.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, I see! The Snadat Crafts stick looks like what I'm after too. Thanks!

14. Brian R. VanCise