Memorial Day (with a 25% sale too)

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by Crafty Dog, May 28, 2017.

1. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

www.dogbrothers.com

Memorial Day 2017
    Brave Little Boy

[​IMG]

Another Casualty of War
    [​IMG]

Loyal Friend
    [​IMG]

Native American Wake
    Memorial Day of 1982

[​IMG]

President Ronald Reagan offered these words in honor of Patriots interred at Arlington National Cemetery:

“I have no illusions about what little I can add now to the silent testimony of those who gave their lives willingly for their country. Words are even more feeble on this Memorial Day, for the sight before us is that of a strong and good nation that stands in silence and remembers those who were loved and who, in return, loved their countrymen enough to die for them. Yet, we must try to honor them not for their sakes alone, but for our own. And if words cannot repay the debt we owe these men, surely with our actions we must strive to keep faith with them and with the vision that led them to battle and to final sacrifice.”

, , , “Our first obligation to them and ourselves is plain enough: The United States and the freedom for which it stands, the freedom for which they died, must endure and prosper. Their lives remind us that freedom is not bought cheaply. It has a cost; it imposes a burden. And just as they whom we commemorate were willing to sacrifice, so too must we — in a less final, less heroic way — be willing to give of ourselves. It is this, beyond the controversy and the congressional debate, beyond the blizzard of budget numbers and the complexity of modern weapons systems, that motivates us in our search for security and peace. … The willingness of some to give their lives so that others might live never fails to evoke in us a sense of wonder and mystery. One gets that feeling here on this hallowed ground, and I have known that same poignant feeling as I looked out across the rows of white crosses and Stars of David in Europe, in the Philippines, and the military cemeteries here in our own land. Each one marks the resting place of an American hero and, in my lifetime, the heroes of World War I, the Doughboys, the GI’s of World War II or Korea or Vietnam. They span several generations of young Americans, all different and yet all alike, like the markers above their resting places, all alike in a truly meaningful way.”

, , , “As we honor their memory today, let us pledge that their lives, their sacrifices, their valor shall be justified and remembered for as long as God gives life to this nation. … I can’t claim to know the words of all the national anthems in the world, but I don’t know of any other that ends with a question and a challenge as ours does: ‘O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave, O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?’ That is what we must all ask.”

MEMORIAL DAY SALE
    25% OFF DVDS, DOWNLOADS & CLOTHING
    SALE ENDS MONDAY 5/29
    COUPON CODE: DBMEM2017

2. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

October 1944.
    US Army/Air Force Base Spinazzola, Italy. “Dear Son,

I hoped I would never write this to you. In a little less than an hour, ill be strapping myself into my old plane and pointing her nose westward. I’ve seen the orders, I think it will be for the last time.

And so suddenly I find my life stripped away, like the branches of an old black tree. All that matters, is I write this to you. I know you won’t remember me, not really. I spent 3 days with you last year, when you were 6 months old, and though you can’t yet understand it, I… loved you more then, than you might imagine loving anyone right now.

Now listen to me, this uh… life. Know, that it is precious. You’ve gotta grasp at every little whiff of it that passes by you. It won’t be easy. It won’t be certain, not now, not in your unimaginable future. Don’t be surprised, no, embrace the stiff winds, and the lonely heights. Remember your name… never turn away from the right course because it’s hard. Above all, love. Scrape out the bottom of your soul, and love for all you’re worth. And when you find her, risk everything, die a thousand deaths to get her, don’t look back.

When you grow older (older than I will ever be) blow on those embers of that first heroic choice. You’ll be warmed…sustained.

If some day you have a son, remember he’s your greatest gift. Tell him these things. Make a man of him. Love him. Don’t live to get money, have a few things, but make them good things. Take care of them, learn how they work. There’s beauty in the smell of good machines and old leather. When you walk…alone, in autumn, down roads at night, trees tossing in the sunset, know that I would give everything to walk with you, & tell you their names. But I am there, in the light through the branches and I’m loving you where I see you.

I must go now, all my love…forever ever,

Dad.”