Me: The 10-cent tour

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by ap Oweyn, Nov 13, 2005.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

Hello there. Stuart here. I started studying martial arts about 23 years ago, with taekwondo. I'm a bit of a mutt. Practiced some boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Western fencing, and a smattering of Shotokan karate. In addition to FMA of course.

I began studying Doce Pares arnis in 1989. With the Patalinghug family, just outside of Baltimore, Maryland. Trained with the Patalinghugs exclusively for about 6 years. Then I started studying Inosanto kali (for lack of a better term) with Guro Pat Finley, also in Maryland. Now I'm practicing with a Modern Arnis group in Northern Virginia, headed by Guro Roman Picardo.

I suppose that's about it. Unless anybody has anything they particularly want to know.

Cheers.

Stuart

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome!

How did you find the Inosanto blend kali? Many JKD styles are criticized for having just the surface aspects of the FMA in their stickwork, but I understand that Dan Inosanto teaches a full system.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

He probably does teach a full system. But I think that it's a fair criticism to be completely honest. I don't think "surface" aptly describes Guro Dan's understanding of FMA. But kali does sometimes get treated more as an attribute-building exercise in JKD than it does a comprehensive system. So you might do a bunch of sinawali drills "to build coordination" and a bunch of knife sparring "to develop footwork." But there might not be a cohesive progression of skills.

I think my teacher felt the same way, because when I last spoke to him, he'd consolidated a lot of his teaching. Presumably so as to avoid the "technique of the moment" syndrome.

That's one of the pitfalls to what I call the duffel bag approach. You collect lots and lots of different sinawalis, hubud variations, etc. Throw them all into a duffel bag. And then reach in and pull a few out during practice. But it's not very objective focused. I felt like it was too easy not to envision an objective and then identify the right tools to achieve it.

In all fairness, though, I went to that class more to learn kickboxing than kali. So my perceptions are probably also coloured by that.

Bottom line: I think both Guro Dan and Guro Pat (my teacher) are excellent FMAers. I do think it warrants a more organized approach than it sometimes gets in a JKD context though.

Stuart

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Interesting to hear it from that end--I study JKD through Paul Vunak's org. and it's much the same. Sinawali is for coordination/ambidexterity, knife sparring is for that fleet-footedness in your footwork, and so on. It's all about the attributes. That's fine if that's your focus but can be a bit of a letdown for a hard-core FMAer!

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

Exactly. For me it was an odd situation. I originally got interested in FMA through JKD. (Through articles featuring Dan Inosanto.) Found my way to Doce Pares by blind luck. A school opened up near me as I was researching FMA. Then, later, when I went to a JKD teacher, I already had a firmly entrenched FMA background.

Stuart