Mbc

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by Doc, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Doc

Doc New Member

Is anybody here practicing Michael Janich's "Martial Blade Concepts"? This is my primary knife method and I really like it alot. I think it is very workable. I recently started working on his "Counter Blade Concepts" which is his empty-hand defenses vs. the knife. It is based out of the MBC movements so there is lots of cross-over. I also recent purchased his videos on "Damithurt Silat." Looks like good stuff as well! I'm becoming a "Janich fan" and was just wondering if there is anyone else on here that feels the same?

Keith

2. rooke

rooke New Member

Opinion

I like some of Janich's material. Other stuff I find so-so. I was impressed with some of what I saw on his Silat vids (still waiting for my order to arrive, so I just have the trailer to go by).

His reverse grip method DVD seems to play alot more passing drills, than concentrating on finishing the guy. But I suspect that may be because its more geared towards beginners. I watched the videos. He really likes Hubud. That seems to play big into a majority of his material.

His movement is larger than it needs to be as well, but I suspect this may be related to making it visible for the camera.

All in all, I like alot of it, and he definitely is better organized, and more clear than a vast majority of folks out there. I don't think anyone would go wrong by looking into his stuff.

Rooke

3. Doc

Doc New Member

Hey Rooke!

---Thanks for the feedback!

I was impressed with some of what I saw on his Silat vids (still waiting for my order to arrive, so I just have the trailer to go by).

---I got mine about a week ago. They're pretty good! I like his approach. He emphasizes building on instinctive responses and using gross motor skills. Let me know what you think of them when you get yours.

His reverse grip method DVD seems to play alot more passing drills, than concentrating on finishing the guy.

---Pallusut and Cover & Slash are big with the reverse grip. But realize that this portion of Janich's material comes from James Keating's "Drawpoint" method. The emphasis is on controlling the attacker's weapon, since at this range there is little margin for error!

He really likes Hubud. That seems to play big into a majority of his material.

---Yes. Same is true on the Damithurt Silat videos. The 3 count Hubud coordination is something that you can drill the hell out of to really establish muscle memory and that can work for a large variety of situations. I think that is why is plays a large role.

His movement is larger than it needs to be as well, but I suspect this may be related to making it visible for the camera.

---Maybe so.

All in all, I like alot of it, and he definitely is better organized, and more clear than a vast majority of folks out there. I don't think anyone would go wrong by looking into his stuff.

--I agree!

Keith

4. rooke

rooke New Member

misc...

---Thanks for the feedback!
    ---
    No problem. There are so many BAD DVD's out there, that finding good stuff is rare.

---I got mine about a week ago. They're pretty good! I like his approach. He emphasizes building on instinctive responses and using gross motor skills. Let me know what you think of them when you get yours.
    ---
    I found his silat DVD's to be FANTASTIC, and would recommend them to anyone looking to develop empty handed skills. Alot of it mirrors what I've done in prior silat (I'm sure, hence his naming of it). But he lays it out clearly and concisely. I think 2 DVD's were one of my best purchases.

---Pallusut and Cover & Slash are big with the reverse grip. But realize that this portion of Janich's material comes from James Keating's "Drawpoint" method. The emphasis is on controlling the attacker's weapon, since at this range there is little margin for error!
    ---
    I'm not too familiar with Keating. The Pallusut and Cover/Slash are typical of most FMA I've seen. I'm not 100% sure I agree with what he does here though. But you know what they say! Opinions are like...noses.

---Yes. Same is true on the Damithurt Silat videos. The 3 count Hubud coordination is something that you can drill the hell out of to really establish muscle memory and that can work for a large variety of situations. I think that is why is plays a large role.
    ---
    A couple of MINOR gripes here from my perspective.
    1) The way Hubud was used had alot more tapping than striking. Then again, the taps could indicate strikes to the limb, in which case, its good. But this could be because these were intro type tapes.
    2) From what I've seen, Janich, Simonet, Worden, and quite a few folks in that area really promote Hubud. Its a useful drill, but they present a very much identical overview on it... It also seems to be in alot of his videos, making it redundant. But then again, I know Hubud, so this may be geared towards people newer to the martial arts.

--I agree!
    ---
    His reverse grip blade video wasn't my cup of tea. >BUT< I loved his Silat vids and I buy alot of them. I'd say they're one of the better vids you can get. I also got that one video he did for the Firearms Teaching set that goes over blade tactics. I thought THAT was very well done too. All in all, I'd say Janich's stuff is very well presented, and I don't think folks would go wrong looking into his material (despite the few criticisms I had...which may well be unfounded...).

Rooke

5. 5thprofession47

5thprofession47 New Member

I've been training with Mike since 2004. I recently received my MBC Proficiency Certification and Associate Instructor Certification from Mike as well.