Masters of Arnis, Kali, and Escrima!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Fewskivvie, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Fewskivvie

Fewskivvie New Member

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Wow, glad that I got my copy of it years ago when I was in the Philippines.. National Bookstore was the mecca of martial arts books back in the day.. Between them and the old squadron shoppe in greenhills, I never went away empty handed

3. geezer

geezer Member

Hmmm... just another book to me. I'm not a book collector nor a LAMECO practitioner, and as far as martial arts knowledge goes, I could never learn all that much just from a book. Now if you were a personal student of Edgar Sulite I can see where it would have a lot more value, especially if it were signed. Still, $200.00 seems unrealistic.

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

This book was not a how to do book, It was written in the format that outlined several of PG Sulite's instructors over the years and was the predecessor of the book that Rey Galang wrote.. It is a good collector's item, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

5. billc

billc New Member

I'm glad to have my copy. I also have a copy of his other book as well. He was a great practitioner, a great teacher and a good man.

6. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

In my humble opinion this is one of the all time great books written in regards to the Filipino Warrior Arts. Although this book does offer photo tutorials being demonstrated by various Masters it is more valuable in terms of the text which each contributed. About 90% Percent of the contributing authors are no longer with us, with the majority of those interviewed receiving their training in the early 20th Century, most became quite famous but even those with lesser notoriety contributed something fantastic in revealing that great generation of Eskrimadors who have long since passed.

I received my autographed copy of "Masters of Arnis, Kali, and Escrima" as a Gift directly from Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite as soon as he received his first inventory of it on September 26, 1994 after one of my Private training sessions with him at the Lameco Eskrima Headquarters in Los Angeles, California known to us his Core students as the "Back Yard". I have read this book from cover to cover on numerous occasions and I always get something beneficial which I missed in previous readings or something comes across with a more clear and concise perception than before. Reading about the contributing authors experiences and opinions first hand in their own words really gifts us all with something special. My only regret is that this Book has been out of production for too many years and most likely will continue to be so denying many of the younger generations of our Filipino Warrior Arts Community from benefitting from this extremely useful and relevant information :(

Regards,
    Guro Dave Gould

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I think I got my copy of it about the same time.. It was in the squadron shoppe where I bought it and when I got it, I found some of the instructors who I personally know in it.. One of them is an aikido instructor here and was instrumental in introducing aikido into the Philippines.. He is also a survivor of the actions in ww2 where he was a filipino scout.. I have known him and his family since I arrived on island and he was one of the first instructors to welcome me open armed as he knew some of my instructors from the time in the Philippine Scouts.. To me that says a lot as far as history