Maryland Open?

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by ryangruhn, Dec 25, 2005.

1. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Hey All,
    Does anyone know the status of the Maryland Open for this year? I assume it is still a go but have heard nothing. The following page is all that I have found from last year:

http://mdopen2005.tripod.com/

Gruhn

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Here is an update I received via e-mail:

APRIL 9, 2006
    2nd Grand National Kali Labanan
    Filipino Stick Fighting Tournament

For the 2nd time the REAL KALI Sports Competition presents a refine works of art under the hands of trained Kali warriors whose intense training was based on the real indigenous technology in full contact stick fighting to include the Filipino knife culture of close quarte combat.
    This event will establish a landmark of succeeding events that leads to the professionalism of the art for sports competition and combat sports.
    Many sports events in the future will present a spectators that will inspire the people to see the real world of stick fighting done in the most artistic refine presentation.
    It has been observed that Stick Fighting Full Contact is an expectator's sports with full expression of skill done in a manner of reality to be real and it happens in the past, so as it is today.
    The event is open to all styles of Filipino Martial Art.
    Tournament Policy and Regulations:
    A. All competitors must be registered at the gate with the presentation of proof of training.
    B. All competitors must submit for physician checking and must submit insurance policy.
    C. All competitors must submit to security check. NO blades or weapons other than rattan sticks and rubber knives or aluminum knives.
    D. All competitors should act as gentlemen before and during the tournament.
    E. All competitors are restricted to alcoholic drinks inside the tournament arena.
    F. All competitors should abide to restrictions of any forms of drugs while inside the tournament arena.
    G. All competitors must sign the waiver before entering in the tournament.
    H. All competitors are required to pay the required cost of entry.
    Who are qualified to be competitors? Person in good health and had obtained sufficient training at least two years and more.
    Ground Rules: 10-point system:
    A. Weapons (optional)
    1. Hard Padded Rattan Sticks
    2. Unpadded Rattan Sticks
    B. Head Gear + light armor and gloves
    TIME: Three (3) 1-minute round
    Legal target areas:
    1. Center line from the top to the groin
    2. All right sides of the body down to the toes
    3. All left sides of the body down to the toes
    Counted points are made by heavy Slash with a follow-up of multiple attacks.
    Counted points for power thrust with a follow-up of multiple thrusts.
    Counted points for close quarter butting attack to the head or arm or body. Counted points to the hands and arms if the competitor stops with disabled arms or hands and discontinue to fight.
    Counted points if weapons is drop or lost along the series of attacks: Technical knockout.
    Counted points if weapons are detach not by grabbing the stick but after hitting of the hand followed by disengaging the sticks or knife.
    Counted points if clinching is executed during the close quarter contact and one is brought to the ground and lock by the stick and surrender. If no surrender, no points.
    Counted points for solid kick with a knock out or surrender of the competitor.
    Counted points if hit in the legs and one rifuse to continue.
    Counted points for one solid blow that stops the competitor.
    Counted points for all forms of locks: arm locks on standing position or leg locks forund ground takedown.
    Deductions of point / Removal from the Arena:
    A. Stick or knife is thrown to the competitor.
    B. Refuse to stop if the referee command to stop after the competitor surrenders (5) point deduction.
    C. Shouting at the referre or uttering curses inside the arena: Removal from the Arena
    D. Ungentleman behavior to create confrontation.
    E. Interference by any member or friends of the competitor: Removal from the Arena.
    F. Refuse to wear proper uniform as prescribed by the Tournament Committee.
    Three man Judges will be coming from Philippine Embassy, Washington, DC. Referees will be designated by the Tournament Committee.
    CATEGORIES:
    A. Light weight division: 120 lbs to 159 lbs.
    B. Middle weight division: 160 lbs to 180 lbs.
    C. Heavy weight Division: 181 lbs to 250lbs.
    The Tournament Committee designates three rings for each division: (9 Judges and 3 Referees)
    WINNERS:
    A. Each division winner will be declared Champion with a Champion trophy and a Medallion.
    B. A second runner up will be declared with co-champion trophy.
    C. A third runner up will be declared with a third place winner trophy.
    ALL competitors will receive a Certificate of Recognition from KALI WORLD COUNCIL.
    After the tournament, everyone is invited to join the ceremony for the awarding, declaration of the awardees for the KALI HALL of FAME and special promotions for the Instructors scheduled for higher ranks. Night of the Warriors.
    The KALI WORLD COUNCIL, USA, INC. TOURNAMENT COMMITTEE
    Chairman: Apolo Ladra
    Assisted by: Supreme GrandMaster Leo T. Gaje, Jr. Guro Dan Inosanto Guro Jun DeLeon

3. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

=)

4. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Just got off the phone with Apolo.

It appears there will only be 2 divisions... padded or live stick. The events will be WEAPON ONLY events to showcase weapon skills. I was very happy to hear this and look forward to seeing the art!

I was also asked to officiate again and as before I will encourage fighters to utilize combat application and good technique. I want to see good control of range, footwork, evasivness, power, combinations and defense.

Tuhon Gaje and Guro will be overseeing the event!

Best of luck to all who play.

JohnJ

5. The Boss

The Boss I am the Law! Supporting Member

Any word on how many people will be at the event?

6. WT_ATL

WT_ATL Member Supporting Member

I spoke to Apolo today, he's expecting at least up to 5 to 6 hundred participants. There are already 400 pre-registered. Last year he had about 800 participants. This is for the entire tournament, including the open martial arts divisions.

SMAK-Stiks will be the official equipment for his padded division. Additionally, we ar still considering actually going to the event as official sponsors.

Thanks,

Winston.

7. The Boss

The Boss I am the Law! Supporting Member

How many FMAers does he have for the event?

8. WT_ATL

WT_ATL Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure. Based on what I've heard, the hope is that last years event will generate much more interest in the FMA divisions. Depending on how the tournament is structured, there is a potential of having a good turn out for the FMA events.

For example, at the Queens City Laban Laro, Tim Hartman had it set up that there was one price for all the events. Additionally, he supplied all the equipment, SMAK-Stiks and Protective Gear. Lastly, the tournanament was broken down into different divisions based on skill level, age, and sometimes gender. This made it much more accessible for all the competitors. Consequently, I would guess that 95% of all the competitors participated in the Stick Sparring.

--Winston.

9. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Anyone from the board plan on going?

Gruhn

10. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Weapon Only???:

Counted points are made by heavy Slash with a follow-up of multiple attacks.
    Counted points for power thrust with a follow-up of multiple thrusts.

Counted points for close quarter butting attack to the head or arm or body. Counted points to the hands and arms if the competitor stops with disabled arms or hands and discontinue to fight.
    Counted points if weapons is drop or lost along the series of attacks: Technical knockout.
    Counted points if weapons are detach not by grabbing the stick but after hitting of the hand followed by disengaging the sticks or knife.
    Counted points if clinching is executed during the close quarter contact and one is brought to the ground and lock by the stick and surrender. If no surrender, no points.
    Counted points for solid kick with a knock out or surrender of the competitor.
    Counted points if hit in the legs and one rifuse to continue.
    Counted points for one solid blow that stops the competitor.
    Counted points for all forms of locks: arm locks on standing position or leg locks forund ground takedown.

I'm confused.

Gruhn

11. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

I hope to read about how the event turned out. I'd love to see some video!

12. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

I wish I had some. I am at a loss for words on the situation and will be posting back when I can figure out how to respond without sounding negitive.

Respectfully,

Gruhn

13. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Please allow me to review my experience with the MD Open 2006 “Full Contact Live Stickfighting Tournament” from today. You can then make of it what you will.

Please let me start off by saying last year was a blast. There were some GREAT live stick fights and I was more then happy to be a part of the event; having Leo Gaje & Guro Dan as judges and Sled Dog as a ref was really cool. Last year there were no “rules” per se as everyone wore light armor (I wore a fencing mask and street hockey gloves). SD allowed us to clench, take down, grapple, punch, kick, knee, elbow; the whole nine yards. To quote GT Gaje “You can kick, punch elbow, knee, spit head butt, grapple . . . . .” In all I could not ask for a better event within driving distance. This year however was different.

I received an email for 2006 stating the EXACT rules as last year so I assumed everything would remain the same. The addition of Gaje and Inosanto was a bonus as well (they unfortunately did not come for some scheduling reason). I was promised about a month out when I called the man in charge of this tournament that they would have a fighter for me in my weight range to fight, as they marketed it “Full Contact Stick Fighting.” This made me extremely happy because as you all know in the MMA/NHB world it can be hard to secure a fight. On several accounts I called, emailed and Instant Messaged and confirmed with him that there would be someone for me to fight. Our group came from State College, PA (about a four hour drive), this wasn’t just a short skip to the next town over. We actually left State College at 3AM to get there in time to weigh in at 7:30. When I got there I again asked “I still have someone to fight right?” directly to the man in charge. He insisted that he would have a person for me to fight and if he didn’t he would get one of his kids to fight me. Everything was great except for the fact that they charged my corner men $50 a pop just to get in and be able to corner me (this struck me as odd, now $150 deep into this thing plus gas). When we were then getting closer to go time I approached the registration personnel and asked them who I would be fighting. They proceeded to tell me that all of the registered “stickfighters” except for me were only fighting “soft stick.” At this point I was a little worried. I then approached the fighters and asked each and every one of them if they were willing to fight me with rattan stick and I got excuses from “I don’t have insurance” to “I have to work on Monday.” I apologize for the language but my opinion has always been: “You stick fight, but at the end of the day you will still have to wipe your butt. If the right hand is broken you use the left hand to wipe.” In other words there should not be any excuses. I then resorted back to the man in charge and he tried to convince one of his fighters to fight me (which was nice on his part) but the kid declined. I was not sure to make of his promises up to that point. We were lucky enough to get a refund for the day which turned into a hassle itself and spent some time at the Aquarium. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I just have a hard time understanding how something like this could happen. As I said at the beginning; make this what you will. I don’t want to impose my thoughts on the subject because at the time I don’t think I would be able to in a positive manor. Did I do something wrong? I don’t know, I’m just befuddled at the whole ordeal.

Thoughts?

Gruhn

14. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Hey Ryan,

I am very sorry to hear of your ordeal especially after taking the drive. Apolo contacted me a few days prior to the event to ask if I would still be officiating in which I replied possibly depending on my weekend schedule. Oddly enough he then asked me if I would fight the live stick event. Knowing that you were probably one of only a handful of “live stick” players I humorously replied, is it for Ryan Gruhn from PA? I then asked why he or his brother could not fight and was told because it was their event. I then proceeded to ask if SD (a student) would do it since he expressed a strong interest to play me “live stick” at an event last year and was told that he would not. I found it a bit hard to comprehend why an instructor of one school regardless if he was hosting would ask another instructor from a different school to fight a participant. I have no worries of playing anyone as the experience is essential BUT I will not do it for someone else. Needless to say, unforeseen circumstances did not allow me either way to attend.

There should have been at least 1 guy fighting. His name is James Lafond, author of “Logic of Steel” on Paladin-Press. He runs ModernAgonistics.Com a sort of DBMA / SCA group in Baltimore. We have been exchanging dialogue about a sparring session. I guess he was a no show??? How many total stick-fighters were there?

As far as a cornering fee, that is unjustified. I have never heard of it and would not have paid it regardless of cost. Now, back to your predicament… I would tell Apolo exactly how you feel and the poor handling of this particular event. Maybe, he will let you fight for free :biggrinbo next time?

Regarding a friendly exchange, aside from me I have 2 students that play live and will gladly welcome you to play either here or a halfway point. I have a buddy in Philly that has access to a gym. Maybe we can schedule something for this summer. Feel free to contact me anytime.

John J
    www.swacom.com

15. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

John,
    Thank you for your response. I only have a minute so I will spend some more time on a response later tonight. In regards to James he too was one of the gentleman that was not interested in fighting me, he only wanted to do stick fencing for a lack of better words; I wanted to fight. Nonetheless seemed to be a pretty cool guy. I think the gatherings are more my scene after this weekends performance of unprofessionalisim and bad business. Apolo will not see me or anyone else from our group for that matter at his event ever again. Is James a part of this board?

Gruhn

16. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Ryan,

I only met James once and that was at Apolo's Kali Labanan 2005. Not interested in fighting you OR under the tourney rules??? I am not sure what you mean about stick fencing? Can you clarify? The FMA is a weapon based system first and foremost. Therefore, weapons are primary. The DBMA format is good but can also be counter productive in terms of developing your weapons skill.

I like your enthusiasm, "I wanted to fight" :EvilGrin: !!! I too enjoy the contact. However, make certain it is not taken out of context and refers solely to competition & testing. Someone may take it the wrong way.

Yeah, it's unfortunate cause these type of unarmored, live stick events are a rarity.

Is James a part of this board?
    [/quote]

I don't think so.

Like I said, if you are simply looking for more people to play...let me know and we will set up something. I also know David Wink's PTK group in Frederick, MD. David is Top Dog's peer in PTK.

Look forward to chattin'.

JohnJ

17. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Only being able to strike with the stick. While yes the FMA’s are a weapon based art I am confident in saying that by no means is it restricted to just weapon. In fact, I think the FMA’s are more diverse than many arts out there. This was exactly what GT Gaje was getting at last year.

I agree. I was under the impression that the fights would be the same as last year. Everyone there was just looking for a sparring session. You were there last year and can attest that those fights were the closest to DB gatherings that a stick event can get. It’s sad that they would market it this way then change the rules like that. In fact, people showed up to see the “FULL CONTACT” stick fights and were ticked to learn that it was not going to happen.

I guess my next question to everyone is if you believe it was ethically wrong for the promoter to pull me along like he did and lead me to believe I had a fight. Up to the last minute he was still saying “I’ll get you a fight” and he knew fully what I was looking for. When he could not produce one I think it would have only been professional for him to personally apologize. Was it right for us to pay to drive down there only to turn around and go right back? Are we entitled to travel compensation? I dunno, I hate to turn this into a financial situation but I feel a little violated. Anywho . . . .

Gruhn

18. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Ryan-

How many people actually came to stick fight at the event?

19. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

I would guess two hundred spectators (mostly moms who came to watch their children) and there were five soft stick fighters. I believe there was only one rattan stick match and as I said the rules were only hitting with the stick.

Gruhn

20. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

I concur. It is not restricted. However, when people claim they do stickfighting, spectators expect to see stickfighting. Not a sloppy brawl into a ground and pound game. I am just as confident to say that a nicely timed strike to someone's head or limb can end it rather quickly. Some of the best examples seen in early DBMA material.

Actually, I believe it was Tuhon that decided this year should showcase more of the art...AND that means weapon skill! My question to you is, "are YOU confident enough to fight stick only"???? Don't take this the wrong way but rather than decline a match cause someone wants weapons only, accept it with the conditions that they also fight you with E-H and grappling included. This could have been a solution to the dilemna, had both parties agreed.

Now, regarding the improper handling of the event prior and throughout, it was wrong. And there should have been even a lilttle gesture to compensate for the trouble.

Just my thoughts...