Lua

Discussion in 'The Den' started by The Phalanx, Jun 24, 2009.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I was looking up about Lua... The Hawaiian Martial Art... I seen some footage and the ideology of the art is very similar to FMA...

Anyone ever tried this art or have any knowledge about it?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I have a book on it at home and watched the recent episode of Warriors (the series hosted by Terry Schappert) that featured it. It looks interesting, but I have no first-hand knowledge of it!

3. The Phalanx

I saw the show as well but I knew about Lua prior to it... But I could never find anything else about it... Just general info and stuff...

4. sjansen

sjansen New Member

The grabbing the spear when it is thrown at you is some cool stuff. I saw it on warriors as well. I'd just have some trouble learning it. It is great historically, but doesn't have a whole lot of real world application.

Do you think that they still do it for historical correctness or to learn the body dynamics so that they can grab punches and get to the arm breaks?

It'd be nice to hear from someone who has trained in it.

5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

When I was in Chicago, John had a LUA instructor who taught regularly at the school. First time I saw his application of techniques, I thought it was Kajukenbo until I was told different. The instructor was top notch and if I had more time, I would have had taken the classes with him along with the dekiti tirsia that John teaches.. Lua is a hardcore art, reminded me of old school training.

6. The Phalanx

The one thing I would like to know is does it have any modern street/ring/cage applications?

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

It's not the art that makes the man an effective fighter, it's the man who makes the art effective for fighting.. Not all arts evolve around the fighting in the dog kennel... Lua would be a serious art for the street, if it works for it's chicago practitioners, it will work damn near anywhere.. But as I said, the man makes the art work for them, not vice versa

8. The Phalanx

This isn't one of those "too deadly" for the ring types of argument is it?

9. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I'm above arguing with people.. The art proves itself by the individual who uses it in the time of need.. Nothing about it being too deadly, its the individual who measures the level of force to protect himself or those who he is responsible for.. Nothing more, nothing less..

10. Taiaha NZ

Taiaha NZ -== Banned ==-

Lua is from Hawaii but you find it in all of the Polynesian groups. It is similar to FMA in that you are taught to fight with weapons that develop empty hands. It is the Polynesian combat training. Our people did not have metal so as you see they used what they had available to create cutting edges, points etc.......... to make effective lethal weapons and moves. Taiaha is a 2 handed weapon but can be used in close range and if you would read history the British had a healthy respect for how deadly a Taiaha can be !

11. NAGA

NAGA Member

I know a little bit about this!

Hello Everyone,
    Lua historically speaking is a hard art too come by. The University of Hawaii actually set up a progran too try to keep what elements of tha art that were alive from disappering completly. At my school we train with Olohe (this is the term for master in Lua it means literally "hairless") Solomom Kaihewalu. He has his own family system of Lua. The the name of the system Lua literally means hole or latrine, this was the place the opponents body was thrown. Empty hand techniques abound the most famous being the bundling technique where every major joint is broken and the opponent is folded into a neat package. Combatants in battle fought nearly naked covered in pig grease and had all their hair plucked out so it could not be used as a lever against them. Think about it if fighting in heavy surf trying to reach a beach and somebody latches on to your hair and pull you under the surf, you are in a world of trouble. This package was usually sent back to the enemy king as a warning. Since there is no steel in Hawaii weapons are made exclusivly of wood, rope and sharks teeth. Also for more information check out www.Olohe.com or our website www.Midwaykodenkan.com ...

Thanks,
    John

12. Brock

Brock Asha'man

This is another art that I've been interested in as well. Thanks for the info!

13. The Phalanx

I heard of one instructor in Honolulu who teaches Lua as well as Japanese Jiu Jitsu... I forgot his name but he cracked me up with his "too deadly for the ring" talk about JJJ and Lua when I was talking to him on the phone...