Loyalty and the martial arts

Discussion in 'General' started by kevin hand, Jan 20, 2015.

1. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

loyalty to one's instructor or system has always been a confusing issue for me. i have always walked my own path in martial arts. over the years i have had the opportunity to train with a few instructors and i saw that over time various instructors expected me to stay loyal to one art, one teacher. because of this, i have never trained with anyone for more than one year at a time. i have spent the greater part of my life teaching others and learning from every available resource. most of my teaching has been used as a way to investigate martial arts and the various methods i have learned through the years. i have a very open mind to all systems of martial art but dont enjoy the idea of having to simply follow someone else. i was liberated from the classical karate frame of mind before bruce lee ever wrote his infamous 1971 article in black belt.
    now, on the other side, i have trained with people that i am loyal to as a friend and totally appreciate the qualities and abilities of these instructors. but i still walk my own path. because of this i know that i have possibly missed out on some aspects of training. it seems that the martial arts world is filled with people who want to cluster students to themselves rather than guide a person to find his or her own way. i love to learn from people but i still have to find my own way. freedom comes with a price.
    i just wondered if anyone else has experienced this? i love the fma. and i am preparing to 'get back into training' now as i am soon moving to an area where there are more opportunities for me to learn and to train. i know that some of the people tend to want you to train solely with them. but my mind is so wide open for learning that i dont want to focus just on one thing. i never have. and i have been training and teaching for 46 years now. mostly privately. so, what experiences have any of you had with this issue? i do have to say that i am not against anyone following one instructor. if it works for you then its great! there are only a handful of martial arts instructors that i could say i would have followed for many years. dan inosanto is one that comes to mind. but then, he is the kind of person who pushes people to explore and find themselves....