Looking for some info

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by Bobby135, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Bobby135

Bobby135 Junior Member

Hi All,

I am going to check out a serrada school in Boston (Combat Serrada Escrima-Boston) and I was hoping someone could give me some background in the art. I am not familiar with it and have not been able to find a great amount of information. I have studied Modern Arnis in that past and loved it and I am curious about more stick arts. Any info and or reviews that you have of the art or school would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bobby

2. sjansen

sjansen New Member

From what I understand, which isn't a whole lot, serrada uses alot of the sumbrada techniques. Rodondo is also a staple of the art, when in a defensive or offensive mode. We use many of the techniques combined with other styles.

3. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

In the "About Us" section of the Combat Serrada Escrima-Boston website (this is the school, right?) I read their Escrima lineage comes from J.C. Cabiero. A search on Master Cabiero brought up Combat Sercuerdas Escrima. Here's the youtube url for Serquerdas with two videos showing Master Cabiero.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SerCuerdas

IMO, the footwork is different than the Serrada I'm familiar with but there's definitely the same focus on speed.

4. sjansen

sjansen New Member

There was a whole lot of abanico, but not a whole lot of anything else substantial in the video. Unless someone sticks a knife at you and leaves it there, I don't think anything on the video was helpful. It looks like old video and what I have seen from serrada is much more in depth.

5. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

I agree. I've continued looking around and aside from a book he co-wrote and an article in Black Belt magazine in '96, I haven't found much else about him or his system. Apparently there are many instructors who credit him as their teacher but no other info was given. Good luck with your search. I'm surprised there isn't at least one person here who knows about him or his teaching methods...

6. Maybe this will help?

I took it from this website:

http://www.practical-martial-arts.co.uk/about.html

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Did you look into it?

8. blindside

blindside student

I (briefly) studied under one of his instructors about 10 years ago, it was pretty standard Cabales Serrada, at least in the basic curriculum that I was exposed to.

9. Bobby135

Bobby135 Junior Member

I have checked out the class and it is a lot of fun. The instructors are very helpful and it is a relaxed environment. This is a big plus for me!!! I would suggest that anyone in the Boston area looking for some fun with sticks to check them out. We spend about half the class (3 hours on saturdays) working on 12 strikes and counters and the other half doing empty hand translations. We also try to push the technique with some resistance, because knowing what to do when your opponent isnt as compliant as your training partner is very helpful.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hey, great news! Thanks for letting us know!

11. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

12. Charlie

Charlie New Member

I have herd a lot of good things about the Combat Serrada group in Boston never had the chance to meet them. I didnt know that they worked with JC Cabaro thow I looked at the Securdis video that foot work is not orginal Cabales Serrada Escrima. There is a term Chicken Stepping that Grand Master Angel Cabales used to do to transition his footwork on ocasion not all the time it was alot of time's used to confuse the other person. I have noticed that some people have incorperated this to most of there techniques thats what the foot work looks like in the securdas video.