looking for fma instructor.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by kevin hand, Sep 24, 2014.

1. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

hello. i am not new to the fma talk pages. but i have taken a few years off due to some personal illnesses and life changes. one of these changes is that i have moved to crestview florida, near pensacola and fort walton beach and am seeking more instruction in the filipino arts. if anyone knows of any instructors near me i would be very grateful for the knowledge. thank you. kevin hand

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

There seem to be two Spring Valley, IL's in existence. Which one are you in?

3. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

My good friend and training partner lives and teaches in Navarre fl, I can put you in touch with him he's probably gonna be the closest instructor to you in crestview. You're out in the sticks man!

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Crap. Never mind. I didn't read your post carefully enough to see that you had moved. I just skimmed it. Mea culpa.

At one time there was a SEAMOK group in Pensacola. I'm not sure if they are still there. http://www.myfma.net/group/seamokpensacola

5. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

yeah...im in the sticks! and thankfully i have sticks with me! lol. ive seen navarre on the map. ive studied the martial arts for 45 years now. i have been following and studying the filipino arts since 1974 or so, as soon as dan inosanto and richard bustillo started promoting them after bruce lee died. and of course, modern arnis via remy presas' book. over the years i have trained in seminars and with one particular instructor in south florida but i wish to continue my training with someome more skilled than myself. i love the filiipino arts more than most of the other arts i have trained in. i love the flow. i have purchased all of dan anderson's books on modern arnis and one by bram frank. i also purchased three books on silat, to help me brush up on both arts. in my opinion, both arts work really well together. thanks for your inputs!!! oh, and yes, i moved from spring valley illinois. there was nothing there. but then i come here, and all there are is two tae kwon do schools and a kick boxing class at the ymca. so i have an open door to start teaching my own version of martial arts at some point, which i named, creative martial arts, back in the early eighties.

6. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

I replied to your private message. What's your martial arts background? Have you trained FMA outside of books and seminars? Tell us about creative martial arts! What's your goal with it? What does it consist of?

7. Diesel_tke

Diesel_tke New Member

Hey, I am located in Pensacola. My friend and I spar with stick and knife. We also do some empty hand and ground work. We have been training for years. Not really FMA exactly but more of a FMA Japanese blend. We both have pretty wide backgrounds. You are welcome to come soar with us sometime. We can meet up. We usually train in public places. Just let me know.

Hey, Speedy! Haven't talk to you in a while. Hope you are doing well.

8. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

Hey man! Fancy meeting you here! I'm alright diesel, I'm down in Orlando now. Still training FMA!

9. Diesel_tke

Diesel_tke New Member

Cool! Glad to hear it!

10. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

i started martial arts in 1969 when i was ten. the only thing offered in illinois small towns at the time was tae kwon do/karate styles. i actually started learning from books and magazines. friends told me i couldnt learn that way. i laughed at them. and did it anyways. my art background has given me the ability to perceive motion from the illustrations in the books. ive always been able to see and understand most of what i read. about a year after i had begun teaching myself i met a fellow who was a brown belt in hapkido and he helped me with understanding even more of what i was doing. we sparred constantly. as time went by i began taking classes here and there in tae kwon do. during my four years of high school i studied judo with our wrestling coach and wrestled with most of the guys on the wrestling team. i didnt get into high school wrestling because my goal was self defense, not sport. through high school i trained in shorei ryu karate and tae kwon do as well. all the time i was also teaching my friends for free so i would have work out partners. and teaching led me to understand what i was doing even more because i had to explain everything to the people i taught. from the age of ten to eighteen i had collected over 300 books and over 300 magazines on martial arts. of course, jeet kune do became a big subject of study for me. after bruce lee died, dan inosanto became my favorite martial artist. he was intelligent, diverse and i consider him to be the actual father of mixed martial arts. bruce didnt cross train in the arts the way dan did. bruce was more about picking the arts apart whereas dan was more into cross training and understanding the arts and appreciating all their qualities. that is just my opinion though. after high school i joined the usaf and continued training on my own religiously. i did take some tae kwon do and was exposed to buck siu lum gung fu through a friend. i was stationed in atwater cali, at castle afb, and had an opportunity to visit carson cali with some friends. i made them drop me off at the filipino kali academy both days of the weekend that we visited. there i was able to meet dan inosanto, richard bustillo and actually met paul vunak. this was 1979. paul was a young student there. he and i talked a bit. i talked to dan a bit. dan gave me two batons from baskets in his school, which i still have today! and richard and talked the most. i gave him and dan some pencil drawings i did of bruce lee. it was a great weekend. after i got out of the usaf, i ended back in illinois. i continued in tae kwon do. almost made black belt. walked away from the school because of internal politics and the fact that i wasnt really getting what i wanted. so in 1981/82 i started a quest for a better understanding of myself and what i wanted out of martial arts. one book that started me on my way was not a martial arts book, but a book on systems analysis. with this book i began to understand what a system is. and the difference between system and style. we often throw those words together but they mean something different. a system is simply a collection of data, in the case of martial arts, used to teach. it is a learning system. style is the individual expression of the knowledge learned. everyone has their own style no matter what system you study. this led me to re examine all that i had learned up to that point. i had been studying various martial arts for almost 12 to 13 years now and needed to understand what i was going to do with it. so i studied all the books i had to find a common denominator. common threads. i wanted to understand the martial arts as a whole. over the next few years i found what i had been looking for and i also found a hole in bruce lee's philosophy regarding systems and styles. but what he spoke of so many years ago were basically true at the time regarding the existing systems in use. he claimed that systems were dead. but what systems have lacked was their understanding of the systems life cycle. the one part of most traditional martial arts systems that caused a system to become static was the lack of feedback and reassessment. that is the part that keeps a system fresh and up to date in the ever changing world. with that knowledge i have tried to keep myself aware of the changes in society and in the martial arts as a movement, if you will. with my discovery i created the term, creative martial arts, because most of what i do in life is based on creativity. i do artwork, martial arts, play guitar, write, etc. and creativity is essentially problem solving. and problem solving is essentially what we do in martial arts. once we have the tools, we play at sparring to learn to use those tools. we train and discover attacks, counters and counters to the counters. what i have always done with my teaching is to present the basic ideas of combative situations and help the students to discover how to counter and counter each attack. that is why i love the filipino arts. they are among the most productive in this area with the notion and practice of the flow. counter for counter. wing chun and wrestling and judo all have those qualities as well. the being alive idea is important to me. over the years i have trained with various instructors in numerous arts. ive gotten a couple black belts. ive been granted teaching privelages. but belts and such dont matter as much to me. being a renegade martial artist, as i always have been, i dislike such things. when i teach martial arts i dont teach like most people. i dont like being called sir. or sifu. or guro. im just kevin. teaching has always been my passion. and so has learning. when i have taught most people, we tend to work together. because even someone who doesnt know martial arts can teach me something. and the idea of having belts is silly to me. ive gone into schools as a white belt but have had more experience that the instructors teaching, but because i dont know some forms i had to start as a white belt. i loved sparring with people who dont really know martial arts because the offered more of a challenge! well, i know this is kind of long winded, but these are some of my ideas and thoughts on martial arts. and i have been in the arts for so long that i have a lot of experiences, as dan inosanto was fond of saying. as for the filipino arts, i started researching them about 1974 or 75. thanks to dan and richard. i have only attended about 9 seminars for fma. i spent a year at a school in west palm beach which included a great deal of fma instruction. that year was 1991 and that is the year i was able to attend most of my fma seminars. but i have always supplemented my training and knowledge through books, magazines and now videos. thanks for your patience in reading my mini book. lol.

11. Diesel_tke

Diesel_tke New Member

-------

Welcome to the area. Perhaps, sounds like you are asking for students and not instructors. If you are looking for FMA instructors, there are only a few FMA schools in Pensacola area. From what we can find; they include Balintawak, SEAMOK, and FCS. There are probably some schools in Tallahassee which might be just as close from Crest View. We recommend you try everything and find a style that suites you.

The reason for my reply to your latest post is because you wrote about the importance of alive training and sparring, perhaps we are what you are looking for in the area.
    We have many years sparring sticks, knives, and unarmed and we continue to learn. we are a performance based combatives fighting group (from what we can find perhaps the only sparring/performance based weapons and combatives group in the area). We are always looking for training partners. As i posted previously, if you want to get some sparring with us feel free to PM me.

We train in an ego free friendly environment we spar all ranges of weapons and unarmed at varying intensity levels based on the partners choices. As with anywhere you go; its train at your own risk ... we are getting older as well; we are out to train with like minded people and have fun.

Good luck on your school and your search.

Note: Seems like everyone has their own definition of "sparring" now a days. For the purpose of clarity; We follow the definition that sparring is 100% resistance with varying levels of intensity.

Pensacola Combatives Training Group

12. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

jspeedy. i just found adam on a website and connected with him on facebook. thanks for the info!!!

13. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

thank you for responding. i have always loved the martial arts ever since i started. and i agree with you about the ego thing. ive always hated traditional schools because people get inflated egos partly due to rank and partly due to the idea that their training is somehow better than everyone else. i guess a lot of that comes from the years i did tae kwon do. i never really liked traditional arts. and yes. i am looking for instructors to learn more fma from. i have trained in fma over the years but never to the degree i have wanted to. i spent a year at a school in west palm beach and we did quite a bit of stick training then, but i wanted more. at some point i plan to take on private students at my home but for now i just want to do more research. and i guess having students, or training partners as i prefer to look at them, is a great way to do more research. i would love to come to pensacola and meet your group and hang out and talk about the arts. i have some physical limitations due to foot surgery i had a few years back but i still love martial arts and want to continue training just for that reason...thanks for your reply!