Looking for FMA club in Baltimore, MD

Discussion in 'General' started by Danlinho, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Danlinho

Danlinho New Member

Greetings to all.

Does anyone know of a FMA group in Balitmore, MD? Or, perhaps, a Silat group?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! I don't, but someone here will!

3. Shonin

Shonin New Member

Try the following, both excellent schools. I've trained at both. Both are just a little south of Baltimore. You'll probably have to drive about a half hour to reach them, but I drive an hour north, so it's not out of the question.

Apolo's Karate - (410) 923-5222 (Pekiti Tirsia, under Tuhon Gaje)

Kick Connection - (410) 544-2828 (Doce Pares, under both Cacoy and Diony Canete)

Hope this helps.

4. Delta

Delta knowledge seeker

I would highly recommend Guro Bob Shin at maharlika martial arts He teaches Sayoc as well as Atienza Kali.

Guro Bob is very skilled and an excellent instructor

www.MDKali.com

5. Forceanchors

Forceanchors New Member

+1 on Guro Bob Shin First Class!!!

6. Epa

Epa Member

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any FMA groups north of the city, so like Shonin said you will probably have to drive awhile to the south side of the city or down to the Laurel/Columbia area. To add to what others have mentioned:

You might check out Steve Braun, particularly if you are interested in Silat. His website is here.

There is also the Maryland chapter of SWACOM which draws off of Kali Ilustrisimo and Reality Based Self Defense. The website is here.
    Good luck

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I've trained with several of these groups. Only briefly in some cases. A couple of visits to Guro John Jacobo's SWACOM group (both of which were a blast). A handful of classes with Guro Steve Braun. A long-time association with Guro Pat Finley, also from the Inosanto lineage. And I trained with the Patalinghug family at the Kick Connection for many years. I still train there periodically.

I'd recommend any or all of the above.

Stuart

8. Dec

Dec Junior Member

The only "stick related martial art" north of the city that I can find is a cane masters class. Its just not what I'm looking for. I cant make the drive to kick connection, but if I could that would be where I went. If you find something north / east of the city please post it.

9. jayz1006

jayz1006 New Member

This might be of interest:

World Nickelstick Balintawak
    [​IMG]Escrima Maryland

Towson - 21286
    [443] 763-0420

10. Dec

Dec Junior Member

Thanks! I will call / stop by soon.

11. bmoreKali

bmoreKali New Member

I am starting a goup in baltimore(north of tunnel) under the guidance of Mandala Doug Marcaida of the Rochesterkali Pitbull Brotherhood of the Blade. He will be here in M.D. next month on Jan 10 2009 for a seminar at the Towson YMCA. Anyone that can come is more than welcome. To see Kuya Doug in action check his vids on youtube under kalisong1. See why he's my chosen mentor for our local group! For info on seminar call me.

Kenny Veader
    #(443)-955-9127

12. Hickory

Hickory New Member

I happened across this thread a few weeks ago and, since I was also looking for Kali instruction in Maryland, followed up on Delta's recommendation for Guro Dr. Bob Shin at Maharlika Martial Arts.

I observed one class and have attended three, and I'm hooked! Dr. Bob is indeed an excellent instructor. I like the Sayoc system - very different than what little I knew of Kali before.

Even though it wasn't a direct response to me, I just wanted to say thank you, Delta, for that recommendation.

13. Delta

Delta knowledge seeker

Hickory,

Glad to help. Please send Guro Dr. Bob my regards and I hope to see you at Sama Sama this year in Pennsylvania.

With respect,

Nicholas Stevens

14. Hickory

Hickory New Member

Will do!