Long guns anyone?

Discussion in 'Marksmanship Arts' started by Carol, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Personally, I'm not really in to long guns. I don't hunt, and don't live in an area where a long gun would be a wise defensive choice. I do shoot at the range, but I usually have a lot more fun on the pistol range....I'll confess to being a better shot with sidearms at 21/40 feet than I am with long guns at 25/50 yards. :eek:

However, I had a chance to try an AK-47 and an M-16 at the range not long back...which was my first chance firing rifles of that size. I didn't expect to do particularly well downrange...and unfortunately I didn't. Well...a few of the shots actually made it in to the black...LOL! Fighting the recoil was a helluva workout. My instructor wants to try his Mossberg 590 next time out. :D

Anyone like long guns? Share some stories! :)

2. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

right now I own a CZ 858 which is a semi auto version on the VZ 58 which is the service rifle used by the Czech Republic.it is very similar to semi auto variants of the AK rifles.the AR series of rifles(AR-15,M-16,M-4) are really easy to shoot once you learn how just like anything else it just takes time and good instruction.you should have fun with the shotgun hold it really tight against your shoulder and lean forward.

3. anubis4b

anubis4b New Member

The only long gun I have is a Remington 1100 shotgun. However, I have several handguns.

4. Carol

I had a chance to fire the Mossberg. It kicks like a mule...it was a workout just firing that thing...but I actually found it easier manage than the full-size rifles. I landed my slugs within the inner circles at 25 and 50 yards but when I try to hold a full size rifle, my pattern looks more like "spray and pray" :D

5. tellner

tellner New Member

An awful lot of it is getting the weapon with the right fit. My wife is pretty strong for a woman of average size, but she has trouble with the full-sized bolt gun and the Mossberg 590. They just don't fit her body, especially the arms. But she's dynamite with a Marlin .30-30 lever gun and a Remington Youth Model shotgun.

I'm a little surprised that the recoil from the M-16 was too stout. It's got a very light kick. If you try it again you might look into a different stock or make sure you've got it couched correctly. With many long guns getting the stock correctly "in the pocket" is the difference between pain and accuracy.

6. Carol

There's definitely a lot to be said about the gun fitting the body. I'm smaller than average and have felt like I could never really get the kind of hold I wanted...although it's certainly possible that I may have been couching the M-16 incorrectly as well.

Now that I think about it, the weather may have been a factor as well. This was a mid-30s-and-rainy kind of day...everything and everyone was wet and cold. But it was still a day on the range with a bunch of friends...we still had a great time :D

7. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Long guns are just another tool to know and use if necessary. M-16, etc. definately are fun to work with. [​IMG] Carol, Tellner is right in that the M-16 has a mild kick so you may have had some space in there and that might have caused you to feel it a bit more. Still I must say kudos to you to on improving your real world personal protection skills! [​IMG]

8. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Well all this talk of long guns has my juices rolling. Personally I do not consider the M-16 or any derivative there of a long gun, rather a mid range carbine. Having spent some years in the company of Uncle Sam and his A.R.M.Y. I was taught vehemently from NCO's who were quite knowledgeable that anything with the term long in it and that fired a projectile had better be a 7.62 x 39 or better thus enabling the said weapon to be able to perform at 1000 plus yards with maximum efficiency. These weapons I trained with and still use to this day are bolt action, chambered in .308 and also .300 Winchester Mag..both of Remington variety i.e. bull barrel, choate stock etc... These bad boys will definitely bust your shoulder if you don't know what your doing, any play in the seating of the weapon and you may very well be on the receiving end of a busted jaw..LOL.

As to the M-16....YUCK!!!!!...I hated that damn weapon when I was in and I loathe it now and all the derivatives. I much prefer a nice AK 47...especially the VEPR...heavy round, farther distance, and much better put away power. Also the Springfield SOCOM and SCOUT in .308 will suffice...they are easy to operate and easier to convert.

I do not consider shotguns in any form a long gun, rather a nice in tight belly buster..especially those short sawed off numbers that I love.

All in all it is still just a tool..it takes practice , determination and a hard heart to make them sing!

9. Jackal2902

Jackal2902 New Member

Guns are like tools, they all have their purpose depending on the job. Your AR varriants, are a good rifle, they are accuriate and there are a lot of gadgets for them. AK-47's, you can find them almost any where in the world, they are simple to opperate and very reliable. As far as range or accuracity, they are lacking. A 12 gauge shot gun is a great close range weapon, using Buck shot, you dont have to be a great shot to defend yourself, if someone is wearing body armor, it will cause internal tramma, and they are just scary hearing that pump action sound. I agree with the guy above, having a rifle that uses a 7X62 round has a lot more advantages than 5.56, I personally own a SOCOM 16 and enjoy the range and stopping power.
    Just my .02

10. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

I don't know anything about the Ak's and the M16's, but I know a little about the 45 cal Colt Peace Maker, Winchester Saddle Guns chambered in 45 cal (long gun) and the 1895 pump shotgun and coach gun (double barrel with outside hammers.

The 12 gauge double barrel kicks more then the 12 gauge pump. I like the pump. My various revolers are also chambered in the 45 colt, 22 magnum, 38 special, 357 magnum and a nifty pocket pistol chambered in 32 cal.

I love to shoot. I only hunt for meat. I shoot from my horses and target shoot in my back yard. I love it.

Kali Cowboy

11. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I have had nothing but trouble with the black gun from Mattel.. I first fired the plastic marvel in the early 70s when I first came in the military and have regretted it since.. I had a cousin who was in vietnam when they first issued this POS to the field troops there and all it did was bang bang O s*h*i*t* was the battle cry from the field according to what he said.. He was a marine, so he had first hand experience with it, he was also at Danang during the little vietnamese lunar new year in 68.. Needless to say, he carried more than one weapon during his time in the Corps..
    Since I had the opportunity to train with some army units while I was in Korea and the States, I always liked the recoil of the M-1 and the HK-G-3 which was the instruments of disaster that most of my friends had.. I could hit targets better with those weapons than the mattel toys we used in the military..
    There's just something about the recoil of a 7.62 fed weapon that makes the testerone flow and makes you sound like Tim Allen in Tool Time.. Better platform for modifications and long range shooting.. I have had the opportunity to fire the dragunov sniper rifle, AK-47, Chicom SKS along with the G-3, M-1 and the civilian versions of the G-3 also known as the HK-91.. The shotgun we use in my job as a cop is a mossberg 500 and the variations.. But my personal preference in firearms that I can carry on a daily basis is my 45 auto which I carry in a bianchi blackwidow belt slide for concealed purposes.. I have been asked why do I stay with the old slab slides when there are so many new weapons on the street now adays and I just tell them, why should I go back and reinvent the wheel, there's just something about the recoil of a 45 shooting 230 grain ball ammo that says the difference between toy guns such as the 9mm and the 45 speaks volumes

Just my .02 pesos

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

13. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

For my long guns i only have 10 and i am looking for a G-3 or a Fin-Fal. I hunt with a 1917 eddystone that is a 30-06. the muzzle loaders are fun my brother likes to use my spanish mauser to hunt with.the enfeild and mosin nagant are a lot of fun just shoot with as are the rest

14. Beungood

Beungood New Member

I have been trained initially with the M-16a1 and then subsequently the a2 and own a H-BAR (heavy straight barrell all the way to the muzzle),AK-47 ,M-1 Garand,Ruger Mini-30 (7.62x39) Winchester 30/30 and a savage Bolt gu. Own many pistols for on and off duty.

I think for the money and what you get for it the Savages can't be beat. They are super accurate right out of the box.