Logical Progression

Discussion in 'E-Zine Articles' started by PG Michael B, Feb 1, 2008.

1. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Logical Progression​
    (primary, secondary, tertiary)
    Punong Guro Michael D. Blackgrave​

Within the martial arts world there are systems that favor one methodology over another. These methods can be defined as striking, locking, throwing. A striking discipline may be boxing, muay thai, karate, tae kwon do etc., a locking system maybe jujutsu, aikido, Brazilian jujitsu, and of course for a throwing system you have judo, shuai jaio. These methods while very strong in their core work may at times employ other traits that may be a backup so to speak. Judoka may use the atemi waza (striking) but it isn’t a major component to what they favor same for a Brazilian jujutsu player, he may use a kick or a punch but it is not his main stay.

In the Southeast Asian arts of pencak silat, eskrima, kuntao there is a more logical progression of skill sets, there is no one area that shines above another and all are taught with equal importance. I call this three count progression the S. C. C. (strike, control, capture) method.

1. Striking via a kick, punch, elbow, head butt etc. depending on the conversation of motion asked will dictate which tool one uses at that given time. Within this element lies the key to the control mechanism. It is illogical at best to believe that when attacked a control/lock attitude will win the day. This in my opinion is nothing more than a recipe for disaster. In this first phase a strike hard, fast, and first mentality is essential. There is no waiting to be struck and then praying that a counter of some sort will save you.

2. Control is an element that some people do not understand. To truly control a person in the realm of combat one must bridge through phase one, striking. Only then will there be a clear advantage. When an attacker is struck with intent and purpose in a vulnerable area the nose, eye, throat, groin etc. it opens a gate to your controlling of the situation. Your intent now will be able to flow with solid results. It will come down to the simple question of what do you wish to do? If you understand body dynamics and train in such a manner you will understand your ramifications of opportunity. Knowing this I understand that if I severely damage his groin area his body will convulse and drop down now giving me an opportunity for flanking and a head/neck attack or a lower leg attack etc. If I straight blast the face I know that the head will rock backwards, follow that with a secondary strike to the solar plexus and I understand that his body momentum will now fall forward thus awarding me a plethora of opportunity in controlling either his arms or torso by an angling assault. Once damaged and controlled you will find yourself ready to enter the tertiary portion of the method, capturing.

3. Capturing is the component of grounding and finishing. This is the area where there is no chance of a counter. It is a brutal collapsing throw that will use the ground like a sledge hammer, hurling the enemy directly into mother earth or father concrete will surely end any desire of further attack . These type of throws are much different than the conventional throws of judo or wrestling, they are collapsing by nature and extremely hard to prepare for so when training you must be extremely cautious with students. A collapsing throw from a controlling position is one of multiple breaking opportunities. If I have come through the striking phase injuring my attacker and then flowed into a control with a breaking arm lock or neck crank the tertiary portion will now be the end. By maintaining the control and taking the individuals balance in a spiraling motion downward there is no conceivable way for him to break his fall, prepare for his fall or even counter this technique. Remember, he should be hurt, dazed from the striking, broken from the control and finally smashed from the collapsing throw. In essence you are discarding a sack of potatoes to his proper resting place, father concrete!

Once the aggressor has been firmly planted on the ground you have the option of stopping or reapplying the S.C.C. (strike, control, capture ) method yet again. This option can be dictated by numerous things, is he still fighting, is he armed etc. To reapply is now made even simpler. When taking the individual down you must remain in firm control (level2) by using a various pinning and locking mechanisms that do not hinder your ability to strike, or remain balanced. In silat there are many options to this, arm wraps from the throw, leg controls from the throw etc., these are musts, you have to control to truly capture and to strike from these positions is devastating as the ground now acts as the only buffer for his head once hit, a painful buffer to say the least.

These three elements can be applied to weaponry as well and are taught as such within many of the silat and eskrima methodologies. One must remember that it is simply movement, what matters is your intent, what do you wish to do? It is that simple and that complex but with proper training, pressure testing and resolute will this three phase element will be an excellent tool to place in your box.

2. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Very nice presentation! Even though PG Mike is takeing SEA martial arts as an example here, this particular approach is actually applicable in any other type of fighting/combat (as senn in quite a few MMA matches), as long as you train it appropriately.

Also, it does notreally amtter what techniques do you use to accomplesh the goal, as long as you get there (hence my preference for thet term tools over techniques). This is, I believe, where the "everything else is just movement" philosophy stems from, which is why I like it so much.

3. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Yes, it can be applied to other arts but it is not usually taught.

4. jeff5

jeff5 New Member

Michael. I like the way you think =). Very similar to how we view things in American Kuntao Silat, and how I personally view self defense as well.

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Nice article on logical progression Mike!