lock and block video

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by patrickdpr, Jul 7, 2009.

1. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

2. Cochise

Cochise Member

Looks solid! Thanks for sharing.

Keep at it!

Which Instructor do you train under, if I may ask?

Regards.

3. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Good video, however:

You should get on the outside before doing most of the techniques on the video or you will get clocked/stabbed by the left. If your outside, there is much less possiblility of that happening.

4. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

Thanks for the input!

I train under Guro Felix Ponce

5. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

I agree that the outside is a safer place to be in regards to defending against a stab or punch from the left. The point of this drill is to build timing, reflexes, and flow amongst other things though...
    Most of the stuff I show here are the basic follow up movements in our system, and they do have "built in" defenses for follow up strikes from any angle. I will post a video soon showing some, soon perhaps.
    Thanks for the comment!

6. Hey Patrick,

Great to see a video of you and your sis working out. Kudos to you both.

In our system Scott we also try to get on the "Blind Side" of the opponent on either the left or the right. We also can go straight up the middle but like you say, the left is a danger (the right always if your "alive" hand is dead.)

However, providing you monitor the left hand with your weapon hand I don't think it's a problem. You have the option of striking it or their body (i.e a strike to the throat is going to stop that left hand moving).

Maybe you could get your sister to throw some lefts with those padded sticks I've just sent ;) to work what happens when you move to the next stage of the drill?

All the best,

Simon.

7. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

Thanks Simon! Can't wait to get those sticks in!

I will put some video up of the next stage soon,

By the way we had a seminar this weekend managed to bust two of your budget padded sticks by the end of the day- luckily one broke right in half and I made two padded daggers =)

8. Glad you managed to resurrect one of them Patrick.

Hope the other items reach you soon.

Simon.

9. Cochise

Cochise Member

Hi Patrick, thanks for the info :)

I agree with what you said, but there's two points to remember:
    1) He's showing basic lock and block and oftentimes it can be alot easier to not go to the outside, plus it trains a solid base in replacement stepping and defending on-the-spot.

2) One of the drill's main objectives is to train those reflexes you need to defend in tight in case you can't make it to the outside.

That's just my 2 cents ;)

10. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

Yes Sir, you've got it. At this stage (our first stage of lock and block) there would be very little "passing", or moving inside to out, after the initial block. Eventually I would like to put the entire progression of this drill up, for my students reference, or anyone else too.

11. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

That's a great point... When I learned my first progression of Lock & Block I was not allowed to use the "Inside to Outside" variants or Safety but rather had to stay on the inside if that's where my counter took me.

Nice video. I'm always interested in how others have learned / practice / teach Serrada Eskrima. Thank you very much for posting it.

-wes tasker

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Makes sense to me!

Is there a special meaning to the starting position, with her left-hand daga against his right-hand stick?

13. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

That's actually a thrust from her, later in the drill that thrust will be more "live" with different angles and actually aiming to thrust rather then "sticking it out" as we do early on.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, OK!

15. Cochise

Cochise Member

Yes, Lock and Block gets very, very demanding the more you pick up the speed and start randomising the rhythm of attack and the attacks itself. But it's also a lot of fun :)

One more thing on the inside-outside switching; from my own practice in the art and from other practicioners I have seen, I can say that even when switching to the outside, serrada players don't seem to take bigger steps, but stay very close to the partner and oftentimes rather push him off-line using a replacement step and forward pressure. Can anyone else confirm this?

16. pguinto

pguinto New Member

i believe you are describing combative countering vs classical countering

17. Cochise

Cochise Member

That's not what I would call it, but you probably mean the same thing :)

My impression, however, is that it is a general area of focus in Serrada, even in the very basic striking, blocking and countering. Maybe I'm making a simple thing more complex due to my wording :)

18. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

I agree- in that we dont really move outside and away, just outside of the attacking arm, usually while checking or pushing that arm or shoulder to get them off line

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Even within the sameness, there's a lot of variety--Dekiti Tirsia takes very big steps, and Serrada takes smaller ones! I suppose Modern Arnis is in-between.

20. Raul

Raul Mananandata

What's the difference between combative and classical?