Live Hand - Bantay Kamay

Discussion in 'General' started by FENOM, Dec 1, 2008.

1. FENOM

FENOM New Member

I have watched tourneys and of course on youtube videos of sparring and in my experience, the "live hand" doesn't seem to be utilzed. This often puzzles me as I have heard many times that the live hand is/can be more dangerous than the hand with the actual weapon.

Is the live hand not used to it's fullest potential in tourneys or is this a case of different situations call for different tools?

2. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Sometimes rules limit what can be done with the live hand -- stick strikes only, no boxing, wrestling, etc. Hand protectors (gloves) also limit what can be done.

Robert

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

If not the rules (e.g., no punyo strikes, or a disarm stops the action), then the scoring system. If a light touch counts as a hit then coming in close isn't a good strategy. If getting in too tight is called a clash then it doesn't do much for you.

For me, the protective gloves drive me nuts and make me feel like my live hand is useless.

4. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

I have the same question; I am left handed and able to use my left in sparring. I usually use my right and left simultaneously. Transferring the stick from right to left during a match, Is this allowed?

5. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

depends on tournament rules. but as for the art sake' it is because using solo baston in the mastery you should able to use both of your hand on it in using and tranfering for the equevalent of the same hand strength. the empty hand suppose to be your secondary weapon it could be use as to lock and disarm opponent. in the several of the local tournament that I have been, the transfer of the stick to the other hand is allowed, your empty hand also can use as a secondary protective protection secondary to the stick but its not a score if the hand is hit with the stick its not allowed and not a score. but allowed as a strategy to inflect pain to opponent to be easily disarmed

6. Guro Marc

Guro Marc New Member

Using the live hand in Tourneys

Ok, I am wading into this conversation- look if you really want to be good FMA fighter you have to learn to use your live hand when fighting. If you do not believe me go to my web page and watch my fight video @ www.pakamut-fma-torrance.com. Look there is 14 things you can do with your empty/live hand when fighting-some are resticted when fighting certain tourneys (like punching & pulling) Look I had some great advice from GM Atillo- have a live hand when fighting! He survived death matches, so I know he is no BS! Watch him in action if do not believe me. Watch Serrada in action, they are really good live hand fighting at full speed with hardwood sticks! I have judged a lot of tourneys and what I have seen is this at WEKAF fights- somefolks hit each other toe to toe like boxers, some re-angle with foot work and ranges when striking, some block and counter, even less check & pass each other, and only some can dis-arm from all angles. I have judged USFMAF tourneys and your really see a higher level of skill in the fighters. Try fighting in USFMAF tourneys they require you to show at least 50% defense! This means if you must really be good with you live hand!