Little Little stick

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by Datu AbdulJakul Salsalani, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pguinto

pguinto New Member

...After countering, striking takes place on the opponent's weapon hand...for practice purposes only... In a combat situation... the 1st strike will often go straight to the head or body...close immediately and shut down opponent...
    - from Serrada Eskrima: Basic Concepts Vol 1 dvd by Master Tacosa

All serrada players should know internally that once you counter, you attack the head/body. That said, try to think outside the box on this one. One way (of myriad others) of practicing counters is to sometimes go from the hand to the wrist to the forearm to elbow to the shoulder to the neck to the head, or any combo thereof. Doesnt this sound quite a bit like cadena and/or blade work? All cadena movenment has its roots in the stick movement. So when you see serrada players practicing these mid range strikes, they are laying/re-enforcing the foundations for cadena/knife movements; traps, grappling, destructions, etc. The shorter sticks allow the players to practice tight movements in extremely close quarters.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks.

3. Jon Ward

Jon Ward New Member

There are indeed Media and Larga techniques within Serrada.

4. geezer

geezer Member

RE Shorter and longer sticks

Jon, when you were out in the Phoenix area last weekend you said that GGM Cabales used a variety of sticks, some quite long, stepping out to largo. Could you elaborate?

5. Jon Ward

Jon Ward New Member

Hey Sir!

Sure, GGM Cabales used a 28" to 26" inch stick in the 1960's and 70's at least. I am not quite sure when the shorter weapon came into common use. There are a variety theories that have come up regarding this change.

There are indeed several Larga movements that GGM Cabales used, the one that stand outs in my mind is his variation of the outside pass, where he steps at a 90 degree angle as opposed to stepping in at a 45.

Hope this helps.

6. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

In the 80s was when I met him & he used the shorter stick then. Met him around 84, he started us with 18" stick. From that you could learn knife moves as well.[​IMG] See that is a shorter stick then normal ! [​IMG]

7. geezer

geezer Member

Thanks for the clarification. Say, by the way, doesn't it strike you all as pretty ironic that the most active thread in this section started out as a total troll piece, by a now banned user, that really dissed GGM Cabales???
    Maybe we should get some new discussions started and bury this "Little-little stick..." thread? I'll begin by starting a new thread asking for more info on Serrada ranges. Please respond!

8. pguinto

pguinto New Member

i dont mind it

someone shows disrespect, he gets PWNed

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Admin. Note.

Thanks! I'll follow your advice and close this thread. I would've done it sooner save for the productive discussions that followed.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.