Lightning Scientific Arnis information

Discussion in 'Lightning Scientific Arnis' started by Shaun, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Thanks to Arnisador for starting the L.S.A.I.forum.
    Grandmaster Benjamin Luna Lema,the founder of Lightning Scientific Arnis is a legend of the Filipino martial arts.He was undefeated in his long career as one of the foremost Grandmasters of the Filipino fighting arts(a fact known and ackowledged in the Philippines).
    The official lightning Scientific Arnis website is:www.lsai.org
    Other Lightning websites of interest are Mandirigmang Kaliradman(in Davao City)
    and Sangkil Karasak(the University of the Philippines,Diliman,Quezon City)
    Grandmaster Lema is on the cover of the latest edition of Mark Wiley's book Filipino Martial Culture and also on the cover of Warrior Arts Of The Philippines by Master Reynaldo S.Galang.
    Mang Ben(as he was fondly called by his students)also wrote a book called Arnis,Filipino Art Of Self Defense.This book however is difficult to find.
    The Lightning Scientific Arnis organization in the Philippines is headed by Grandmaster Lema's daughter Ate Patty L.Caballero.
    Ate Patty can be contacted on +63(0)46-434-0947(landline)
    or on +63(0)919-450-3345(cell/mobile phone)
    Lightning Scientific Arnis is thriving in the Philippines and elsewhere, through the efforts and talents of L.S.A.I. Masters,Instructors and assistant Instructors.
    Mabuhay ang L.S.A.I.
    Mabuhay ang FMA
    Mabuhay ang Filipinas

2. lightning

lightning New Member

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've moved these two posts out in hopes of giving them more attention.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

5. chamber

chamber New Member

What is the relationship between LSAI and LESKAS?[/quote]

Briefly, LSAI or Lightning Scientific Arnis International is an organiztion that seeks to preserve the system of arnis/kali founded by the later Grandmaster Benjamin Luna-Lema from the island of Panay, Southern Philippines.

LESKAS or Lema Scientific Kali Arnis System started by the late Master Elmer Ybanez, in honor of his teacher Mang Ben. LESKAS is a sister organization of LSAI.

6. chamber

chamber New Member

What is the relationship between LSAI and LESKAS?[/quote]

Briefly, LSAI or Lightning Scientific Arnis International is the organization that seeks to preserve the system of arnis/kali founded by the late Grandmaster Benjamin Luna-Lema from the island of Panay, Southern Philippines.

LESKAS or Lema Scientific Kali Arnis System started by the late Master Elmer Ybanez, in honor of his teacher Mang Ben. LESKAS is a sister organization of LSAI.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, thanks! I take it the two systems are still pretty similar, then?

8. chamber

chamber New Member

Yes...

9. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Ranges in Lightning Scientific Arnis

In reply to your question Arnisador,no Lightning is not a medium or long range system exclusively.We do have medium and long range drills and techniques,probably like on the you tube demo.I have not had the opportunity to look at these yet,but they are probably the Lightning Bigay Tama drill,which shows the long and medium range. The heart of Lightning is really 'working the stick',which is a close in serrada drill,which at the advanced level involves the stick and dagger,emphasising both ranges of the stick and the shorter close range of the dagger. I hope this helps.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, thanks! I have no experience at all with this system.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Roland Dantes and LSAI.

Looking at the website http://www.lsai.org/ I notice that Roland Dantes is listed as the first person to receive Instructor or Assistant Instructor rank in this system (1979). I always think of him as a Modern Arnis player. Can anyone comment on his involvement with LSAI?

12. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Roland Dantes and Lightning

I have heard Grandmaster Lema talk about Roland Dantes,and indeed talking to Grandmaster Lema's daughter Ate Patty Caballero,she(Ate Patty)confirmed that Roland Dantes was a student of her Dad.Whilst he (Roland Dantes)is more associated with Modern Arnis,he was a friend of Lightning Scientific Arnis and held Grandmaster Lema in the highest regard.

13. Batongbuhay

Batongbuhay New Member

- Manong Roland's involvement in LSAI is like a favorite uncle. His respect and support for LSAI is greatly appreciated and highly valued, however he does not have any direct involvement in the operation of LSAI

- he is one of the GM's most famous students but is more directly connected with Modern Arnis

14. Batongbuhay

Batongbuhay New Member

while the Official Website of LSAI is still being updated the following are sites which have reliable info regarding LSAI

Academia Tercia Cerrada Cadenilla y Espada y Daga http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...littlebadboyph

LESKAS Seattle (Master Elmer Ybanez's group) http://www.leskas.com/

Mandirigmang Kaliradman (Master Manolo Del Rosarios group in Davao)http://mk.mymotag.com/aboutus.php

UP Sangkil Karasak (LSAI-LESKAS group in the University of the Philippines) http://www.trinitycross.net/lsai/

15. David F

David F New Member

Guro Roland Dantes was a student of GM Ben Lema and was in fact training under GM Ben prior to Master Vic Sanchez meeting and training under the grandmaster. When we visited GM Ben at Ate Patty's home in 1998 this was confirmed.

Guro Roland has a long association with the Lema family and Lightning Scientific Arnis and this friendship continues. There is a video of Guro Roland and his wife demonstrating arnis at a Lightning Scientific Arnis get together or tournament.

Regards,

david

16. Batongbuhay

Batongbuhay New Member

True!

How are you David?! Manong Roland has been very instrumental in helping bring together the generations in the LSAI community. He also makes a very good example of what it is to be a Gentleman.

17. David F

David F New Member

Hi Jon

All is well here in Australia and I hope all is well with yourself, family and students.

I will be in the Philippines for considerable time next year and I will bring some pics of GM Ben and Guro Roland as well as some footage of Mang ben demonstrating his system.

Take care and please extend my regards to LSAI.

Regards.

David

18. Batongbuhay

Batongbuhay New Member

Hello David!

All's well in the Philippines. Those pics will be a great addition to the albums & archives.
    It would be great to see you here in the Philippines again and perhaps Guest in the local FMA Picnics we do.

Best Regards,
    Jon

19. Supremo

Supremo New Member

Im glad to be party of FMA talk, finally! Greetings to everyone!

20. Supremo

Supremo New Member

Hello Shaun! Hows everything? Hope to see you again here in Manila :)