LEOs practicing Balintawak

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by darkpaperinik, Dec 30, 2007.

1. darkpaperinik

darkpaperinik Junior Member

Hi out there,

I wonder how many of you are LEOs and practice Balintawak?

In case of yes - do you practice for yourself or do you have a official Balintawak training group within your department?

Ciao and take care from Stuttgart

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I am a LEO on the island of Guam and Practice Balintawak, although the variation of what I train in is not from Cebu.. It was taught to me by GM Rafael Reston who was originally from Batangas, but he traveled during his youth and fought as a guerrilla during the second war..

I am in the process of starting up another group here on island due to my transfer to the states in 05 and moving back in 07, but when I was stateside, I trained guys in chicago in the system

3. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

I know of a couple police officers or other such as FBI etcetera.

Any specific reason for this question?

4. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Bill,

Did GM Rafael Reston travel at all to Cebu? Manong (GM) Ted Buot has a couple of stories of people coming from other islands and training with him and or GM Anciong Bacon and then going back home. Just curious, as I like to learn more abou the family tree while it is technically still "young".

Thanks

5. darkpaperinik

darkpaperinik Junior Member

No specific reason - I just see (and appreciate) the wide range of possibilities Balintawak offers for the job. And maybe some of my collegues does have put a special training program together which does combine law enforcement tactics and tools and Balintawak..

so just a question on a simple professional level.

6. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

That is good.

Thanks

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Rich,
    From what I understand, GM Reston might have made it to Cebu to train, but according to the manuscript that I have from Manong Reston, he named his system Balintawak due to it being the home of the Philippine revolution and in conversations while he was still alive the name Saavedra came up now and then.. But due to GM Reston's death in 06, the only way I can confirm this is to talk to his surviving wife and son to see if there are any more pages to his manuscript.. I will see what I can find out.

Bill

8. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Bill,

Yes the "Cry of Balintawak" is something that was very important and had an impact across all the islands, including streets being named Balintawak. Which is where Manong Anciong got the name of his system. The Self Defense Club on Balintawak street.

The Saavedra name was very well known in and around Cebu. Do you know when Manong Reston may have been in Cebu. Pre WWII? Or Post?

Thanks

9. teovel'sBalintawak

teovel'sBalintawak New Member

Master Bill,

I hope you can put some of your footage in www.youtube.com so that we can also see. The Balintawak movements from Bacon lineage can be easily be identified. Venancio "Anciong" Bacon used to teach in Edwardo Baculi Sr.'s home in Balintawak street and that's were the name came from.

Best Regards,

Eugene