Left hand vs right hand agak

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by du212, Jun 14, 2009.

1. du212

du212 New Member

Anyone feed/receive lefty?

I am left handed but started my FMA studies with Inosanto Kali and like all the others in my class we started our stick handling right handed because, well, thats what we were taught. As we progressed, we began doing double stick and further along trained right and left hand single stick/knife.

In my balintawak training I have been practicing left and right handed receiving from almost the start. And its funny but even though Im left handed, I still find myself favoring my right hand line....Even so, the first student I had a chance to feed, just so happened to be a lefty so what do you know.....

Anyone else train left versus right hand? or left versus left? If so, what angle or grouping did you find the most "challenging" with the "other hand" ?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

I'm left handed but, learned and train predominantly right handed. Teaching left-to-left is easy - everything is simply mirror-image. Teaching left-to-right/right-to-left is difficult. Many things need to be modified somewhat. For basic defense and counters, the #5 thrust can be challenging. As for the groups, group 2 is somewhat difficult to port over.

Robert

3. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Well I was taught by Manong Ted Buot that as I am right handed and if the student is left handed then he starts left handed and I feed right. This was the traditional method as taught to me.

That being said, I do work Left on Left with beginners as the mirror techniques as menthioned by Robert, are easier to see and do not require any modifications.

I also do train for myself, my left versus others right and would like to train against a real good left hander with my right.

So yes, people do train left on left and left on right and right on left, not just right on right.

4. Robert Klampfer

And that makes perfect sense since 90%+ of the people a lefty will encounter are going to be right handed anyway.

Robert

5. Robert Klampfer

It just so happens that Dr. Patrick Schmitt recently moved to Erie, PA. He's naturally left handed and very good with it. Maybe you guys could work something out over a weekend...

Robert

6. free2flow

free2flow New Member

I highly recommend working out with Patrick. Not only very knowledgeable and creative but very very nice guy as well.

7. guillermo taboada

guillermo taboada New Member

dr. Patrick scmitt is one of the best balintawak instructor that i have. Good teacher, good character and good relationship to his student.

Dr. Patrick, as i always remind you, be good good example.

Gm bobby taboada

8. darrell from bega

darrell from bega New Member

yes i will totally agree. If you ever get the chance to train with Patrick please do so as he has alot to offer. Hopfully he will be coming to Australia with GM Bobby in November and I will be able to catch up with him and do some training and maybe have a beer or two

Cheers
    Darrell From Bega

9. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

I was taught eskrima from a lefty! I'd have to admit it is rather different.. It took me a few years to get used to the feeding and backwardness of the strikes, and until I started recieving the strikes as just as common as a "right handed" strike it really was an eye opener. But its training everyone should encounter. For you never know when a left hander may be coming for u!! lol