Learning Inosanto Kali?

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by NJMMADude, Mar 26, 2010.

1. NJMMADude

NJMMADude New Member

I had a question for those who may have been in the situation that I am in now. I have been a student of FMA for a few years. Back in the 90's I trained in JKD and learned some of the Inosanto system. I really enjoyed learning it and am interested in learning more about it. Right now the economy has me in a tight spot so I already have a full plate with the tuition at my current school, so I can't pursue formal instruction at this time. I have a few questions:

1. I am confident that I have partners to train with and a good background in FMA. Can anyone recommend any good dvd sets that somewhat comprehensively teach the Inosanto/Lacoste system?

2. In about a year, I expect to be certified to teach my current system. Some time after that, I would like to also pursue certification in the Inosanto/Lacoste system. I live all the way across the US. Has anyone learned from videotapes and live training partners enough to even bring up the conversation with Guro Dan about pursuing any form of basic certification in his system?

Thank you for any help that you can give me, and good training to you!

2. NJMMADude,

There are no DVD's that can say that they cover the Inosanto/Lacoste system for the simple reason that it is always changing/evolving. It's components change over time. In the early 70's there was a lot more Villabraille/Largusa, Serrada, and Bahala Na in the mix. The early 80's saw Pekiti Tirsia blended, late 80's saw Lameco being added. Now he his showing a lot of Balintawak. I was at the academy once when a San Miguel Eskrima seminar was being conducted. And those are just off the top of my head. My apologies to all those I missed.

That being said, he has issued a 5 volume DVD set available from his academy.

If you want to be certified by Guro Dan, you must train under him. He does not certify by mail or video tape.

If you want to be certified under him and know someone who already is a student under him, they might be able to give you a recommendation. Otherwise, go to a seminar and train and then try to talk to him about it. Just talking won't do. He would like to know that he is talking to a practitioner, and not just a wannabe, so seeing you move is an imperative. Doing so over he course of a seminar will show you as you are.

Good luck.

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Rick Tucci's DVD's are worth a look along with Guro Dan's latest set from the "definitive" collection. I would also get the Kali knife, weapons, and empty hand (boxing and takedowns) sets from Ron Balicki. Steve Grody's empty hand set is really very good as is the Hubud/lubud set and the Tapi Tapi set. Goldstar video is worth a look if you want to rent them and see if you think they are worth purchasing down the road. They have a ton of different sets from the Inosanto curriculum including the original VHS tapes made into DVD's from Guro Dan on FMA. Those combined ought to give you a decent perspective on the changing state of the Inosanto-LaCoste system along with the influences from Lameco et al.

In regards to training via DVD and testing, you may check out Ron Balicki's organization. He has a mechanism set up for people to train in a combination fashion via video and at seminars with a variety of instructors and you can then test directly under him at seminars. Something like that may be worthy of consideration for you if that is your goal.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

I rent from Goldstar all the time and have always found them to be prompt and professional. Less expensive than buying or if you'd like to take a look before you buy. You can rent Rick Tucci's 9 volume set for about $90.

Best,

Steve

5. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I have had a similar experience for the most part. I have a few sets which were not complete (Kelly Worden's Knife set and Paul Vunak's street fighting set for example) and one set with problem disks that apparently runs all of the sets they have (Guro Dan's original FMA series) but the rest of them have been good and their service is solid.

6. NJMMADude

NJMMADude New Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. I wanted to ask about one more dvd series-I saw on another thread on here that Guro Harley Elmore has some dvds out on solo and double baston, knife, etc. Would they be good resources as well? Thanks again.

7. Epa

Epa Member

I think other people have covered good DVD sets, but I think the point about training with Guro Dan or his students should be reiterated. In order to get into the instructor's program it helps to have one of his instructors recommend you. If finances are tight, you might look for a garage group because there are a lot of Inosanto instructors that don't actually have schools. They can be hard to find, but worth it. I found one instructor who had trained at the old Inosanto Academy in the 70s and had worked with John Lacoste and some of the other older eskrimadors through local contacts.

Try to make it to seminars in your area. If you want to find out about seminars, you can try calling the Inosanto Academy and they can usually tell you about upcoming seminars. I'm sure he'll be within driving distance at some point. The seminar training lets you see what he is working on right now and will let you meet other practitioners in the area. You might find someone who can help you out that is within driving distance. The instructor who trained all the instructors at my school was 2 and a half hours away and we would drive down on weekends to take classes and private lessons when we could, then work the material on our own.

Learning through seminars and occasional training is not ideal, but it will help any effort you are making to learn from DVDs. About a month ago I drove 10 hours to train with Guro Dan for a weekend seminar and drove back Sunday night after the seminar, it was worth it.

8. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

If you scroll down you will see his current seminar schedule. http://inosanto.com/?page_id=34

I know he will also be in for a weekend seminar at Pat Tray's Trident Academy in Northern Virginia mid-late July. I'm going to see him next weekend down in Virginia Beach and I am really excited. Good luck!

9. WindyCityKali

WindyCityKali New Member

Hi. New to the forum.

Just wanted to chime in about Ron Balicki's DVD's, seminars and teaching. His Filipino Boxing, Defensive Edge and Weapons DVDs are excellent.

Best.