Learning from dvd's (Sayoc Kali and more...)

Discussion in 'General' started by grapplerskwest, Apr 2, 2011.

1. grapplerskwest

grapplerskwest New Member

So after much looking aggravated by a move I've come to the conclusion that to do any training in FMA I'm gonna have to do so thru instructional dvd's. Yes I know this isn't ideal but for now I'm stuck with no other options unless I want to travel 4 hours one way.

Anyway I've been looking at the instructionals offered thru the Sayoc Kali website (yes I know the controversy this group seems to bring) and was wondering if anyone who has viewed these dvd's could offer some opinions and insight to their worth?

I'm also interested in the Inosanto-Lacoste blend and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of any good instructionals for this style? Any other recommendations are also welcome...

2. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

3. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Have you tried checking the Training Partners thread here? I seem to recall someone looking for training in the Savannah area some time ago, so maybe they formed a training group, or are atill interested in forming a group.

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

It is really hard to learn from DVD's. However, when using them as a reference to ongoing training from an instructor they can be great! Good luck!

5. William

William Mongrel Combative Arts

I agree.

I don't know if this gentleman is still in your area but you might try checking. I believe he is/was tied to Tuhon McGrath's PTK organization.

Stephen Young
    Email: iamspy007@hotmail.com
    Savannah, GA

Also in Woodstock...

Woodstock

Alan Baker

770-926-3030

www.atlantamartialartcenter.com

Best of luck,
    William

6. medic

medic Junior Member

May want to try www.warriorswaytx.com for dvd in the Inosanto blend. Guro Elmore is also a Sayoc instructor and could problably anser your questions about both styles.

Shaun

7. DonKey

DonKey New Member

On a related note, how hard would it be to get a taste for another system beside your own via DVD?

My options are limited locally, and I'm not really interested in switching my primary system, just want to try all the flavors at baskin robins so to speak.

8. Brock

Brock Asha'man

This is a little more realistic. You can see relationships and differences this way.

9. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

There is a strong tendency among many to believe that most skills can be self-taught. Nothing is further from the truth.

Watching FMA DVD's are a window into what a particular style looks like; they are not a substitute for learning FMA's. If the closest FMA school or teacher is 4 hours away, my advice is to travel the 4 hours, take a half day to learn some fundamentals, and then spend the next 3 months practicing what you've learned. The only way to learn a FMA (as opposed to watching one) is to burn the fundamentals into muscle memory by practicing them. Coaching gives you a leg up because it generally shows the right way of how to practice, and that's worth the price of 1000 DVD's.

Traveling 4 hours every three months or so is not impossible. By way of analogy, I recently took up learning how to shoot the recurve bow; I took 2 private lessons in February, have practiced 3-4 times a week since then, and went back for another private lesson yesterday. I'm doing something similar with skeet, another one of my more recent passions. My archery lessons are two hours away and my skeet lessons are an hour and a half away. In between lessons I practice at local ranges.

One of my martial arts teachers, now considered one of the best teachers in his particular arts in the country, has done something similar with whatever arts he's wanted to learn for the past 30 years. Many of his lessons during his time as an advanced student (and he's still taking them) involved travel across the United States and across the world. This meant that, some of the time, he'd book a lesson six months in advance. It's not time spent with an instructor: it's time spent practicing away from your instructor and coming back for more fine-tuned corrections that helps you to progress.

Now, am I interested in good books and DVD's about archery and skeet? Sure I am - just as long as they help to inform what I'm actively practicing. I say this also as an owner of numerous DVD's about FMA's and other martial arts, and the co-author of an FMA DVD: DVD's give you the opportunity to see the possibilities across a range of styles, but pick a style and start practicing it with a teacher, no matter how often you get a chance to see him or her.

Best,

Steve

10. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Steve is right on in that you need hands on instruction!!! This is very, very important! ;)

11. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

I hope that I did not sound dismissive of the value of media for training. A quick look at the hard drive currently holding my martial arts DVD's or other media files in .iso format reveals 48 different folders. Since some folders only hold 1 or 2 files - but some others may hold as many as a dozen or more, I would estimate that I've decided to keep something like 200 files (mostly DVD's by the way) over the past 20 years. That doesn't count the countless media that I've watched and then discarded. Over the years I've learned to appreciate what other people do - even if I don't practice the arts that they practice. Excellence is self-evident.

When you get right down to it, though, watching media is not the same as practice, and the risk you run by practicing without a teacher or coach, is moreover, simply that you could be practicing incorrectly (or probably more likely) not practicing as efficiently as you could. The value of coaching in this regard is that it gives you the kind of feedback that you can't give yourself.

A typical session with one of my teachers runs something like this:

Coach: "You didn't do 'x' and that's why 'y' didn't happen."
    Me: "O.K." (attempt again).
    Coach: "That was a little better, but you're still not doing 'x.' Try doing 'z' to do 'x' better."
    Me. "O.K." (attempt again).
    Coach: "That's it!" (Or more likely, "You're still not doing 'x' as well as you might if you did 'z;' if you did 'x' then 'y' would happen.")
    Ad infinitum...

Whether you get feedback once a week or twice a week or 4 times a year - it's still better than not getting it at all.

Best,

Steve