Laser Eye surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by Beungood, May 4, 2008.

1. Beungood

Beungood New Member

I'm not sure if this is the section to post it, but anyone here have laser eye surgery done? Pros and cons?

2. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

I had it. I had "complications", which still haven't cleared up over 5 years later.

Heres a few threads to check out. (martialtalk)
    Lasik Eye Surgery (martialtalk)
    Laser Eye Surgery Horror Story. (martialtalk)
    Is LASIK painful? (kenpotalk)

Short version from my experience was several days unable to really see, loss of night vision, light sensitivity (I wear sunglasses ALOT), spending alot of money on eye drops, and cronic dry eye.

5% of patients attempt suicide within 5 years due to complications.

If you are considering it, get several evaluations done, don't shop based on price, and make sure you know everything possible you can first.

3. tellner

tellner New Member

My wife's goals for LASIK were to be able to read without using her distance glasses. She was probably legally blind in both eyes and said that that would change her life.

She now has 20/20 in both eyes four years out. She's a little far-sighted. Night vision is alright. She still sees a little further into the near UV than most people. The halo effects and photophobia simply did not happen.

The procedures get better every year. If you decide on it, then every year you wait gives improved results. But at some point the time is right.

4. Hertao

Hertao New Member

I'm considering it too but have been holding off. I know about 10 people who have had it and none have experienced any problems. All have said it was one of the best decisions they've made...

David

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Wow, what a success! That's great!

My brother had it and is very happy with it, despite some night vision and halo effects. I wear glasses and am just unwilling to risk it.

6. pesilat

pesilat Junior Member

My wife went from nearly legally blind and needing trifocals to 20/20. She still needs reading glasses sometimes but at nearly 52 that's not a big surprise or a big deal. She also had a complication in one eye that caused it to heal a little slower than the other but it was still only a couple of months.

Due to a traumatic incident in my childhood I am phobic about things getting near my eyes. Consequently the experience was a special little slice of hell for me. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I went from something like 20/200 to 20/15. When I entered the room for the procedure, there was a clock on the wall across the room (maybe 10' from me). I could see where the hands were pointing so could read the time but I couldn't actually read the numbers. A few minutes later, after the procedure, I sat up and was able to read the numbers with no problem - it was kinda blurry like I was underwater but I could read them. Right then I knew it had been worth the hell.

I love not having to wear glasses anymore. I love being able to wear real sunglasses. My phobia about the eyes had always prevented me from wearing contacts (had two eye doctors tell me I had the strongest blink reflex they'd ever seen). I love opening my eyes in the middle of the night and actually being able to read the clock on my nightstand without putting on glasses. I love not having to keep track of my glasses or worrying about a $300+ pair of glasses getting lost/destroyed in training or out hiking or etc.

Like I said, it was a special little slice of hell for me and I would do it again in a heartbeat if had to. I would heartily recommend it to anyone.

Mike

7. Dagadiablo

Dagadiablo New Member

Awesome---do it!!!

8. Beungood

Beungood New Member

Lasik/PRK

Well my eye doc said to wait for many years, hes super cautious. Then about a year ago he said if he had my scrip he would get the surgery. He wants all his cop patients to get it done out of safety and getting punched with glasses on. He only steered me to one surgeon who teaches the operation and so far has a 100% sucess rate. She is very selective in doing the operation. She is expensive but I dont care as long as she is skilled as they say she is.

I was told to go for PRK over Lasik as the flap never totally heals and could possibly be ruptured?? I was told PRK would be safer but a little more painful and take a little longer to heal. But I know the procedure is dependent on my prescription and cornea thickness.

The reason I decided was while on Motorcycle patrol a freak down pour started and much to my surpise my contactsd partially lifted up effectively rendering me blind. Rush hour, Boston traffic, Police Motorcycle limitied vision.... I had to blue light it, pull to shoulder and ride til I got to the exit. No accident but a very eyeopening experience (No pun intended..)

9. Beungood

Beungood New Member

I think I will steer away from Lasik and go with PRK. I talked with alot of military guys who seem to have benfitted. One guy was a Special Forces guy who had it done 15 years ago and still has perfect vision. I don't like the idea of having my eye cut...

Thanks for the warnings and the information!