Large diameter rope for striking drills?

Discussion in 'General' started by James, Sep 12, 2006.

1. James

James Crescent City Eskrima

I posted this on Eskrima digest as well, but I thought I'd put it here too:

Years ago I was at someone's school on the East Coast of the US (don't remember who's school it was) for a seminar, and they had large diameter rope hanging up to practice striking drills. The rope was probably about 2 - 3 inches in diameter. It was thick and heavy enough to stike hard, but also absorbed most of the blow so you could strike it pretty rapidly without your stick getting tangled.

Has anyone see this before? If you have, do you know the dimension of the rope and what kind of rope is used? We have alot of supply companies down here in New Orleans that carry pretty thick rope for use on oil rigs and the shipping industry, so I can probably find something suitable. Just looking to see if anyone remembers this or has had experience using this kind of thing

thanks,
    James

2. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

I have no idea what size rope but I also would be interested in finding out.
    This sounds like an interesting way to practice.

Question. was the rope free hanging or secured at the bottom also?

3. James

"Question. was the rope free hanging or secured at the bottom also?"

From my recollection the rope was free hanging. The weight of the rope kept it pretty stable when striking it.

James

4. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

The Bakbakan U.S. group has been using vessel towing ropes for developing power for close to 10 years. We have them hanging all throughout the WHQ in Lodi, NJ. They are about 3-4" in diameter and cut into 6 ft. lengths. The are set up a pulley system with weights at the end.

You may be able to find them on-line. Otherwise you can just purchase 3-4 6' strips of the thickest rope you can find at Home Depot braid them or just duct tape them in sections.

Check out www.bakbakan.com and take the WHQ Tour under the Table of Contents. It is the 5th from last selection from the first group. Once you open the page, scroll to the bottom and there are pictures.

JohnJ
    www.swacom.com
    www.bakbakan.com

5. James

JohnJ,
    Thanks. I found them on the tour of the Babakan HQ on their website. I don't think that's where I originally saw them (although it could have been), but it's exactly what I'm looking to make.

Thanks for information.
    James

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've never tried swinging at a thick rope before...I'll have to try it some time! That's something I could set up in my house, which I like. My den is my martial arts room. Something like a BOB is hard to hide away when I have company, but this might be workable.

7. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

It may have been my school...Martial Arts Research Institute in Salem, MA.

My classmate Andy just joined FMAtalk, I hope he sees this thread and can confirm if its our school that had a large rope.

Unfortunatley I've been in a handful of schools over the last month trying to make a couple of training decison and I'm starting to confuse what I saw where. :)

8. Carol

This is also something that interests me. I'd like to purchase a BOB (and may still do so), but I'm a little concerned about how the noise would resonate through my apartment building. I pounded on one at Datu Hartman's school and it wasn't quite as loud as I thought it would be...but his school is large and spacious.........not at all like my spare bedroom which is a bit small. ;)

I suspect I'd have less noise concerns with a rope. I'm guessing a heavy rope would be a good striking surface for an aluminum trainer?

I found a company in Pennsylvania called Phillistran, that sells...well...just about any kind of rope possible, including offshore ropes in 3.75" to 6.75" diameters. he 3.75" kevlar weighs 4 lbs/foot and the 3.75" polyester weighs 7lbs/foot. The possibilities certainly are intriguing.

Their product list is extensive. I put an inquiry in to them to see if they would sell these ropes by-the-foot, I wonder if they have any scraps laying about. :D

WebRiggingSupply.com will sell rope by the foot, and they have rope up to 3" in diameter.

9. Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan New Member

There is indeed such a rope in our school. :)

10. Carol

My den is my martial arts room as well...and I agree, having something that is easy to hide away has a lot of appeal

Does anyone have any ideas as to how one can hang such a rope? I'm looking around the room at the walls and ceiling and am at a bit of a loss as to how I could go about it.