Lameco Backyard Group List Revision

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by GUROBUD, Apr 25, 2007.

1. GUROBUD

GUROBUD New Member

HI, MY NAME IS GURO BUD BALANI JR,

AND I AM A PRIVATE STUDENT OF PUNONG GURO EDGAR G. SULITE and AN ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE LAMECO ESKRIMA INTL / GOODWIN AVENUE BACKYARD GROUP.

I WANT TO MAKE A PUBLIC CORRECTION ON THE PUBLISHED LAMECO BACKYARD GROUP MEMBERS LIST ,
    THAT IS LONG OVERDUE.

SOMEONE HAS BEEN UNINTENTIONALLY LEFT OUT (RODNEY WILSON) and SOMEONE ELSE ADDED (NANCY LEWIS) THAT NO ONE FROM THE BACKYARD GROUP COULD INDENTIFY.

( THIS REVISION SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE MANY YEARS EARLIER )

THE FOLLOWING LIST IS OF
    THE LAMECO ESKRIMA INTL./ GOODWIN AVENUE BACKYARD GROUP
    a.k.a. THE S.O.G.

(circa 1992 -1997 )

Lowell Pueblos Eric Koh Ron Balicki

Mar Elepano Hospecio "Bud" Balani, jr. Rem V. Cruz

Felix Valencia Dino Flores Arnold Noche

Hans Anton Tan Dave Gould Steve Grody

Elmer "Bong" Hebia Roger Agbulos Jason Ancheta

Marc F. Denny Steve Tarani Phil Rapagna

Choy Flores Gary Quan Joel '"Jay" Adriatico

Bryant Emerson Sung Han Kim *** Rodney Wilson

Pantaleon " Mang Leo" Revilles, jr. ( R.I.P. )

*** ON BEHAVE OF THE S.O.G.
    I WISH TO EXTEND OUR SINCERE APOLOGIES
    TO OUR BROTHER and FELLOW BACKYARD GROUP MEMBER ,
    RODNEY WILSON, FOR NOT CORRECTING THIS MISTAKE IN A
    TIMELY MANNER.

*** MEMBERS RODNEY WILSON and STEVE TARANI ACCOMPANIED
    PUNONG GURO EDGAR G. SULITE ON HIS FINAL TRIP BACK TO HIS
    HOMELAND IN 1997 .

GUMAGALANG

GURO HOSPECIO "BUD" BALANI jr.

LAMECO / S.O.G.

KARANUNGAN
    PAGGALANG
    KATAPATAN

2. GUROBUD

GUROBUD New Member

HI, MY NAME IS GURO BUD BALANI JR,

AND I AM A PRIVATE STUDENT OF PUNONG GURO EDGAR G. SULITE and AN ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE LAMECO ESKRIMA INTL / GOODWIN AVENUE BACKYARD GROUP.

I WISH TO MAKE A PUBLIC CORRECTION ON THE PUBLISHED LAMECO BACKYARD GROUP MEMBERS LIST ,

THAT IS LONG OVERDUE.

SOMEONE HAS BEEN UNINTENTIONALLY LEFT OUT (RODNEY WILSON) and SOMEONE ELSE ADDED (NANCY LEWIS) THAT NO ONE FROM THE BACKYARD GROUP COULD INDENTIFY.

( THIS REVISION SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE MANY YEARS EARLIER )

THE FOLLOWING LIST IS OF
    THE LAMECO ESKRIMA INTL./ GOODWIN AVENUE BACKYARD GROUP
    a.k.a. THE S.O.G.

(circa 1992 -1997 )

Lowell Pueblos

Eric Koh

Ron Balicki

Mar Elepano

Hospecio "Bud" Balani, jr.

Rem V. Cruz

Felix Valencia

Dino Flores

Arnold Noche

Hans Anton Tan

Dave Gould

Steve Grody

Elmer "Bong" Hebia

Roger Agbulos

Jason Ancheta

Marc F. Denny

Steve Tarani

Phil Rapagna

Choy Flores

Gary Quan

Joel '"Jay" Adriatico

Bryant Emerson

Sung Han Kim

*** Rodney Wilson

Pantaleon " Mang Leo" Revilles, jr. ( R.I.P. )

*** ON BEHAVE OF THE S.O.G.
    I WISH TO EXTEND OUR SINCERE APOLOGIES
    TO OUR BROTHER and FELLOW BACKYARD GROUP MEMBER ,
    RODNEY WILSON, FOR NOT CORRECTING THIS MISTAKE IN A
    TIMELY MANNER.

*** MEMBERS RODNEY WILSON and STEVE TARANI ACCOMPANIED
    PUNONG GURO EDGAR G. SULITE ON HIS FINAL TRIP BACK TO THE
    PHILIPPINES IN 1997 .

GUMAGALANG,

GURO HOSPECIO "BUD" BALANI jr.
    LAMECO / S.O.G.

KARANUNGAN -- PAGGALANG -- KATAPATAN

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Is the list in the other thread more complete than this one, then? Hmmm...no, looks to be just formatted differently.

I can delete one of the threads if you like. If there's a difference I'm not seeing, we can of course leave them both!

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

4. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

kamusta na pare',

glad you visited the site. i am confident that the members will find your knowledge of lameco, ilustrisimo and a host of others very educating.

ingat,
    john

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Threads merged.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Is there a way we can get a listing of the instructors who have been with Edgar Sulite and Lameco since the inception of the system.. I would appreciate it as a friend of mine in chicago says there is a guy there who is Lameco, but he won't reference the instructor's name due to him being in the Philippines..

Thanks

Bill

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  7. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

In the latest issue of the FMA Digest there is afeature on Master Ariel Moses of Manaois Arnis. However, I was more intrigued by his claim to be a second generatio nLameco SOG member. Even though he did apparently trained with the late PG Sulite, I was wondering what does the second generation SOG thing could mean? After all, you are either a member of something or not in that particular case, how can one be a second generation? That specific group does not exist anymore, and the way I see it, students of it's members cannot really refer to themselves as "second generation"...

8. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Dragan,

Hello there, I hope that all is well and that you are enjoying life with vigor.

I agree that a 2nd generation "Sulite Orihinal Group" student is not the right terminology to describe oneself as only the 1st generation students that were a part of that group and trained personaly with Punong Guro Sulite in his "Backyard" can utilize that lineage.

However, I do understand what this person was probably trying to convey to the public that being he is a student of a 1st generation student recognized as an original member of the "S.O.G." thereby making him a 2nd generation student of that prestigious group.

I am a private student of PG Sulite, a certified standard bearer of Lameco Eskrima and a member of the "S.O.G." (Backyard group) but I only consider my students as being 2nd generation Lameco Eskrima students with the exception of those students of mine that actually also trained with Punong Guro Sulite himself and they are recognized as 1st generation Lameco Eskrima students. Solely based on my affiliations with the system and its founder neither do I recognize them as being 2nd generation "private students" nor 2nd generation students of the "S.O.G.". Just 2nd generation students of Lameco Eskrima in general.

It comes down to terminology and semantics and as long as people are not trying to falsely claim Instructor Status in the system I don`t mind what they call themselves. Eventually when all of us 1st generation guys are dead and buried it will be left up to the 2nd and 3rd generation to become the watch dogs of the system to guard, propagate and pass it on to future generations.

In the end it does not really matter which titles, awards or accolades that one surrounds himself with but rather how one moves on the field of battle and what the outcome of that battle will be. The ability to defend life and limb when it is demanded of you far out weighs in terms of importance the politics of any system, organization or person. Live well, train with diligence and die with honor it is the most that can be expected from us be it from our peers or our maker.

I hope that this answers your query Dragan. Go well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

9. GUROBUD

GUROBUD New Member

The rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.*
    We guess someone forgot to tell us that we don't exist.*
    Perhaps it’s because we follow the secretive backyard tradition of being low key, that it has been perceived that we are not around anymore.*
    But do rest assured that we are still around… in more ways than one.* Please allow us to clarify.
    Lameco SOG is alive and well with members including: Joel Adriatico, Roger Agbulos, Jason Ancheta, Hospecio "Bud" Balani Jr., Ron Balicki, Rem V. Cruz, Marc F. Denny, Mar Elepaño, Bryant Emerson, Choy Flores, Arturo Dino Flores, Dave Gould, Steven Grody, Elmer R. Hebia, Sung Han Kim, Eric Dupois Koh, Arnold A. Noche, Lowell Pueblos, Gary Quan, Phillip Rapagna, Pantaleon "Mang Leo" Revilles, Jr. (Deceased), Hans Anton Tan, Steve Tarani, Felix Valencia and Rodney Wilson.
    We still get together to train or just hang out.* The Los Angeles – Historic Filipinotown Chapter of Lameco SOG includes Guros Joel Adriatico, Hospecio "Bud" Balani Jr., Mar Elepaño, Choy Flores, Arturo Dino Flores, Arnold A. Noche, Gary Quan and Hans Anton Tan (whenever he is in town from the Philippines).* It is also this core group that came up with the term “SOG” with the guidance and approval of the two highest-ranking Lameco Eskrima International members, Master Christopher N. Ricketts and Master Reynaldo S. Galang.* We are still in touch with the other Lameco SOG members (who are also very busy heading their own organizations) with whom we occasionally get together with to collaborate or socialize.* The majority of us who banded together after our teacher's death continue to do so since 1997.
    Master Ariel F. Mosses of Manaois Systems International, is originally from Los Angeles, did indeed train and was accepted into the backyard group.* However, he moved to the State of Washington, where he became Punong Guro Sulite’s official representative.* He continued to visit and train in the backyard several times a year in Los Angeles until Punong Guro’s passing.* Master Ariel hosted regular seminars with Punong Guro in the Pacific Northwest and Punong Guro stayed at his residence as part of the family. Master Ariel Flores Mosses is also a cousin of Lameco SOG members Choy and Arturo Dino Flores, which is how he was introduced and accepted by Punong Guro himself.* He is a member, but we left him off of the list due to geographic reasons and to avoid confusion.
    Anyway, so much for avoiding confusion.* So that’s probably what the interviewer meant by second generation – for lack of a better word.* Oh well…
    The Lameco SOG members that still train together continue their training because they simply enjoy the art.* We are not into heavy self-promotion with regards to Lameco Eskrima as there was never a need.* This, however, may have to be changed for various reasons that we won’t go into.
    When Punong Guro passed away, the members unified to keep his teachings and vision alive in ways besides the commercial route.* Hence, we began volunteering / teaching a youth program in the Los Angeles Historic Filipinotown area.* The program, which started in 1999, teaches Lameco Eskrima, Filipino Martial Arts, Philippine Culture and History as a diversion for ‘at risk youths’ from the temptations of gangs and drugs.*

Historic Filipinotown , located in Los Angeles' Rampart District, is notorious for being among the highest in gang, murder and drug activity in the country since the 1960's.* In as much so, that Hollywood has portrayed it in television shows such as “Adam-12” and most recently in “The Shield” , as well as in feature films like “Training Day". Even the video game, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas", contains a story-line reminiscent of the Rampart Police Scandal of the 1990's. It's notoriety is also mentioned in the acclaimed literary works such as Charles Bukowskis' “Ham on Rye” and Carlos Bulosan’s “America is in the Heart”.
    The initial youth program has expanded into several other nonprofit agencies to include children, adults and seniors.* We even picked up a few awards along the way.* Since then we have been involved in many aspects of the Filipino volunteer / cultural community that included being one of only two cultural groups to usher in the First Official "Filipinotown" in America– televised inside the iconic Los Angeles City Hall.* Other activities include lecturing at the Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS) Conferences and a number of prestigious universities as well and doing various newspaper, radio and television interviews in the U.S. and Philippines.* To avoid typical martial arts politics, Lameco SOG members teach these Lameco Eskrima-based programs under different organizations.* This has allowed us to focus on one of Punong Guro’s visions – to promote the Arts with honor and integrity.* Punong Guro was passionate about his culture as a whole.
    Since Punong Guro Sulite's passing the group has continued to train together and have trained a second generation of students in the Lameco SOG method.* Given the nature of our neighborhood, a number of these students have used their lessons for self-preservation with actual knife, stick and even gun situations.* We have been teaching these students since they were teens.* They are now adults and are now assisting us in teaching the next generation.
    Thank you for your time, attention and interest.
    Maraming Salamat!

Lameco SOG
    Los Angeles – Historic Filipinotown Chapter

10. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Thanks for the clarification Bud most of what you presented I was not aware of myself. It was good to see all of our brothers at the reunion in April and I was very appreciative of the segment that you and Dino presented to the participants keeping very much in tradition with the original curriculum.

Keep up the great work Bud and give my best to Dino when you see him next. Ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

11. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Thank you both for tour elaborate answers to my "not so well put" question, in the first place.

OK, first of all, I'd like to apologize for the louse expression of "that group does not exist anymore"... I simply meant in the form of being under the guidance of PG Sulite. Of course, I am aware of the fact that lots of those same people are still active and training together. In fact, I quite like the efforts put out by Kapisanang Mandirigma organization and I always have an eye on what you people are having in line next.

Secondly, by no means was my intention to dispute skills and intentions of Master Moses, since I have read the feature throughly and know about his training in Lameco, it was just that particular phrase that somehow didn't make sense and was confusing to me.

Finally, believe me, I would be the first one express my gratitude for everything all you Lameco kapatids are doing to keep the fire burning and make it spread, i.e. make the knowledge bestowed by PG Sulite available for those not so fortunate among us to have trained under/with him. In fact, Should you somehow decide to undertake some sort of enterprise along the lines of GM Galang's books or that kind of videos even, but dedicated to Lameco, you better believe you have a fan and subscribing member right here!!! Who knows, maybe you should film and put out future Lameco Tributes or reunions, especially if by some lucky design (lucky for the rest of us) you might decide to make it an annual thing...

Sorry for any misunderstanding I might have caused earlier.
    Yours truly in dedication,
    Dragan

12. GUROBUD

GUROBUD New Member

The rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.
    We guess someone forgot to tell us that we don't exist. Perhaps it’s because we follow the secretive backyard tradition of being low key, that it has been perceived that we are not around anymore. But do rest assured that we are still around… in more ways than one. Please allow us to clarify.

Lameco SOG is alive and well with members including: Joel Adriatico, Roger Agbulos, Jason Ancheta, Hospecio "Bud" Balani Jr., Ron Balicki, Rem V. Cruz, Marc F. Denny, Mar Elepaño, Bryant Emerson, Choy Flores, Arturo Dino Flores, Dave Gould, Steven Grody, Elmer R. Hebia, Sung Han Kim, Eric Dupois Koh, Arnold A. Noche, Lowell Pueblos, Gary Quan, Phillip Rapagna, Pantaleon "Mang Leo" Revilles, Jr. (Deceased-RIP), Hans Anton Tan, Steve Tarani, Felix Valencia and Rodney Wilson. We still occasionally get together to train or collaborate. Although many are busy with heading their own organizations.

A good number of the Lameco SOG members have continued to train together regularly since their teacher's death in 1997. This group is reffered to as The Los Angeles – Historic Filipinotown Chapter of Lameco SOG. This includes Guros Joel Adriatico, Hospecio "Bud" Balani Jr., Mar Elepaño, Choy Flores, Arturo Dino Flores, Arnold A. Noche, Gary Quan and Hans Anton Tan (whenever he is in town from the Philippines). It is also this group that came up with the term “SOG” with the guidance and approval of the two highest-ranking Lameco Eskrima International members, Master Christopher N. Ricketts and Master Reynaldo S. Galang.

Master Ariel F. Mosses of Manaois Systems International, is originally from Los Angeles, did indeed train and was accepted into the backyard group. However, he moved to the State of Washington, where he became Punong Guro Sulite’s official representative. He continued to visit and train in the backyard several times a year in Los Angeles until Punong Guro’s passing. Master Ariel hosted regular seminars with Punong Guro in the Pacific Northwest and Punong Guro stayed at his residence as part of the family. Master Ariel Flores Mosses is also a cousin of Lameco SOG members Choy and Arturo Dino Flores, which is how he was introduced and accepted by Punong Guro himself. He is a member, but we left him off of the list due to geographic reasons and to avoid confusion.

Anyway, so much for avoiding confusion. So that’s probably what the interviewer meant by second generation – for lack of a better word. Oh well…

The Lameco SOG members that still train together continue their training because they simply enjoy the art. We are not into heavy self-promotion with regards to Lameco Eskrima as there was never a need. This, however, may have to be changed for various reasons that we won’t go into.

When Punong Guro passed away, certain members unified to keep his teachings and vision alive in ways besides the commercial route. Hence, they began volunteering / teaching a youth program in the Los Angeles Historic Filipinotown area. The program, which started in 1999, teaches Lameco Eskrima, other Filipino Martial Arts, Philippine Culture and History as a diversion for ‘at risk youths’ from the temptations of gangs and drugs.

Historic Filipinotown , located in Los Angeles' Rampart District, is notorious for being among the highest in gang, murder and drug activity in the country since the 1960's. In as much so, that Hollywood has portrayed it in television shows such as “Adam-12” and most recently in “The Shield” , as well as in feature films like “Training Day". Even the video game, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas", contains a story-line reminiscent of the Rampart Police Scandal of the 1990's. It's notoriety is also mentioned in the acclaimed literary works such as Charles Bukowskis' “Ham on Rye” and Carlos Bulosan’s “America is in the Heart”.

The initial youth program has expanded into several other nonprofit agencies to include children, adults and seniors. The program even picked up a few awards along the way. Since then the group has been involved in many aspects of the Filipino volunteer / cultural community . This includes being one of only two cultural groups to usher in the First Official "Filipinotown" in America. This landmark event was televised from inside the iconic Los Angeles City Hall. Other activities include lecturing at the Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS) Conferences and a number of prestigious universities as well and doing various newspaper, radio and television interviews in the U.S. and Philippines. To avoid typical martial arts politics, Lameco SOG members teach these Lameco Eskrima-based programs under different organizations. This has allowed us to focus on one of Punong Guro’s visions – to promote the Arts with honor and integrity. Punong Guro was passionate about his culture as a whole.

Since Punong Guro Sulite's passing the group has continued to train together and have trained a second generation of students in the Lameco SOG method. Given the nature of our neighborhood, a number of these students have unfortunately had to use their lessons for self-preservation - with actual knife, stick and even gun situations. We have been teaching these students since they were teens. They are now adults and are now assisting us in teaching the next generation.

Thank you for your time, attention and interest.
    Maraming Salamat!

Lameco SOG
    Los Angeles – Historic Filipinotown Chapter

13. GUROBUD

GUROBUD New Member

Greetings Dragan,

Thank you for your sincere reply and support.

Salamat

Lameco SOG
    Historic Filipinotown Los Angeles Chapter

btw : What is your background in FMA training ?

14. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I trained in Tres Flores eskrima under PG Daniel Lamac, in Paris, France, and even organized a seminar for him here in Belgrade, Serbia. It is a style stemming from Arnis Koredas Obra Mano, but I wil ltry writing an orticle on it, hopefully to be published in some of the future FMA Digest issues. Ialso did some Inayan eskrima training there.
    However, lately I have been committing myself to a long-distance training, which is provided by guro Roger Agbulos, and for which I am grateful beyond any ability to express...

Finally, I must not omit mentioning a friend of mine here in Serbia, who trained in Inosanto blend, Kombatan and Doce Pares, and who is of great help and a cool training partner.
    See, when the training opportunity is scarce, as it is here, I really have to rely on all you nice people who have so much to share, and fortunately are willing to do so...

15. rogerclf1

rogerclf1 New Member

Just wanted to know if anybody off this list is in the chicago or surrounding areas.

16. GUROBUD

GUROBUD New Member

Hi.
    Try the Degerberg Academy in Chicago. That is where LAMECO Guro Ron Balicki started. I believe he still conducts seminars there.

Good Luck in your search

Guro Bud Balani jr.
    LAMECO SOG / KALI ILUSTRISIMO
    Historic Filipinotown Chapter - Los Angeles