Lameco at Long Range.

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by arnisador, Jan 4, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I was speaking recently with an FMA instructor who has worked with Lameco practitioners before but is not one himself. He indicated that one difference between Lameco practitioners and some other groups is that while many FMA people focus on backhand wittiks, abaniqos, and redondas (hiradas) at long range, Lameco people tend to use what I would classify as 'regular' forehand and backhand strikes (Modern Arnis angles 1-4) but stretched out, and that they put a lot of time into practicing how to get power in those strikes and how to recover quickly from a missed strike to be ready to strike again.

Is this accurate? (I may have misunderstood him.) Most people I know focus on backhand wittiks, abaniqos, hiradas, and maybe the occasional underhanded figure 8 at long range. Of course, most people I work with are Modern Arnis types who want to move in closer rather than stay at long range, or JKD people (not from Dan Inosanto's group) who want to stay at the longest range possible and nickle-and-dime the arm/hand.

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Fighting within a specific range even if that is what your system is based on would seem counter productive. The idea of understanding long range is for the purpose of controlling it and not allowing someone to crash in. My close friends are senior players of the late Edgar Sulite and I can assure you that their striking is not a "nickel-and-dime" approach to hand hits. The concept is based on the late GM Jose Caballero's long range system, DeCampo Uno Dos Tres (a major sub-system of Lameco). The idea is to execute multiple strikes that will maintain power and use the barrage for both offensive and defensive measures. Roger Agbulos shared some of these concepts with me and there is no doubt a sense of dynamics not only in the body mechanics but breathing which allows them to throw with consistent power in each strike. I will ask Roger to tune-in to provide more clarification.

John J

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

In the discussion I had the person emphasized the power and the ability to rapidly recover in order to throw another strike, so this seems to match.

I don't disagree that one needs to know how to operate in and control all ranges, from long to grappling...but, those I work with the most tend to be folks who want to get to medio-to-corto, and I do too, so that's what I end up mostly doing! The JKD people I work with very much want to stay as far away as possible and defang the snake with abaniqos and such to the hand.

4. Nanalo74

Nanalo74 New Member

One should be able to control the action in any range. I like to get in close if I can and I find it's a good idea to cause some pain before I move in.

Vic
    www.combatartsusa.com

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I agree! This approach, while not novel, sounded different from what I mostly see people doing. Watching people spar, you'd think that abaniqos and backhand wittiks and the occasional hirada were the only possible largo attacks! At least, they seem very prevalent to me.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I want to thank Roger Agbulos for answering my questions about the largo in Lameco this weekend with a full session on it at the WMAA camp! There is no doubt that I will be training what he showed me--he proved that it works, then explained why. It's great--simple, but very effective. As he said several times, advanced technique is just mastery of basic technique. It makes sense! I look forward to my next chance to spar at this range so I can try these ideas out...usually I am concerned about largo because it is my weak point. Of course, I know there will be much work ahead if I am to turn this session into useful skills.

Thank you, my friend!

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

OK, now I need a DVD of this so I can remember what I was taught!