.:Kumusta:.

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by pakalgrip, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pakalgrip

pakalgrip New Member

Im Johnny it's nice to meet you! I reside in Santa Clara, CA. I have previous FMA experience, about 6 years now, in various systems. I'm actively seeking consistent training in a complete system as opposed to a training partner. Besides FMA's, I'm interested in Silat, Kun Tao, Russian, and Native American knife fighting. Im very down to earth and friendly, looking for a no~nonsense tactical *complete* system.

Salamat Po,

~Johnny

<(~_~)-b

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

Hi Johnny, good look in your quest, there has to be someone up in that area. If all else fails you could make the journey North to SF, or south to Salinas.

3. pakalgrip

pakalgrip New Member

True. The problem with this area is the traffic. There are roughly 1 mil people here in the San Jose area, I'm hoping to get lucky haha :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! I used to teach at Santa Clara U., but moved to Indiana 10 years ago.

5. pakalgrip

pakalgrip New Member

Salinas, you might be talking about the Balintawak group. I was invited to their Fremont class and was quite excited, as most practitioners here are Serrada or Doce Pares people, but class was full at the time. As for Stockton, there are two systems there I'm interested in, being Bahala Na and Tenio DeCuerdas (GM Gilbert Tenio was my cousin's Godfather!!). Its just too far to drive, and I really prefer to train more than once a week! I am interested in all aspects of FMA, pure FMA. I have trained in different facets of FMA, and the movement suits me very well. Im simply not interested in Serrada right now.

6. pakalgrip

pakalgrip New Member

It seems you got out of here in good time, Arnisador! This state is going to hell in a handbasket, as for property value, its simply devastating here. Im glad not to be paying a mortgage here. Thanks for the warm welcome.

7. pakalgrip

pakalgrip New Member

I found a system of Pencak Silat that I'm interested in. Woot woot!!

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Great news! Let us know how it goes!

9. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

Yes, there are also other groups in Salinas. My first teacher in Salinas was a student of GM Tenio and one of his Guros. THen there is Backyard Brotherhood- Una Sa Laban which is a blended system. Glad you found a group to train with though!

10. pakalgrip

pakalgrip New Member

Thanks Patrick. Yes "Backyard Brotherhood" sounds like what Ive been doing these past few years. Everything Ive learned is very good, but my instruction has been limited and fairly inconsistent to the point where I just became disenchanted. I think I need to go in a different direction, which is why after never having trained in anything other than FMA's I am venturing into Pencak Silat. FMA's and Silat, in my mind, are cousins anyway... the movement suit me, lots of blade and empty~hand, takedowns, etc. I know Im going to love it :)