Kris - definition of use

Discussion in 'General' started by imas560, May 27, 2009.

1. imas560

imas560 New Member

Hello,
    I am trying to get a definitive description of the Kris and it's application. A friend is about to head over to Malaysia and P.I. and was looking at purchasing a kris to commerate the Baptism of his son in Penang (please no flames re an item identified with the Muslim culture being used to celebrate a Catholic Rite). He has contacted the local Customs Service to see if the kris falls under a prohibited items classification.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/Prohibited+Imports/default.htm

Customs has advised that

4/ With the exception of any folding pocket knife with a blade less than 10 cm in length, any knife that: -
    (a) Is designed for ease of concealment on the personÍž Or
    (b) has a double edged blade that is designed or suitable for stabbing or throwing (as opposed to cutting) Íž Or
    (c) Is a knife of any of the kinds sometimes known as an urban skinner, terminator, black eagle, black dagger, or throwing knife.

He is looking for a definitive explanation of the Kris from a reputable source that he can forward on to Customs. Specifically the use of the Kris as a weapon (primarily slashing/cutting or thrusting), and is a sword a knife?
    Wikipedia does have a nice page, but unfortunately Wikipedia may not be acceptable

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Where does one go for this? I'm not sure! A silat expert whose art uses the kris?

3. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

A qualified attorney. This is a legal issue an not really a martial arts issue.

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I was thinking the same thing Carol!

5. imas560

imas560 New Member

Have basically sorted out on bladeforums.com. Let me know if this post needs to be removed
    cheers