Kris Cutlery Pira Sword.. any reviews?

Discussion in 'General' started by 408kali, May 1, 2007.

1. 408kali

408kali New Member

Just wondering if anyone owns one of these. This model looks different to me than some traditional Piras I've seen pictures of. How does this model look to you? Share your thoughts...

http://kriscutlery.com/philippine/pira.html

Thanks, ~John

2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I have a pira i got from the Philippines..a Yakan Pira at that..authentic..it looks sim ilar but much more rustic....

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We would love to have more reviews on the site!

4. kisapmata

kisapmata New Member

I just got myself a Kris Cutlery Pira yesterday at the Knife show in Pasadena. Didn't like the unusual shape at first but bought it on the recommendation of Sword Whisperer Tina Quirino anyway. I did Arnis exercises (Lightning Scientific and Modern Arnis) with it at home until my arms hurt. I just couldn't put it down. Loved the balance and the way it handled in my hand even at high speed. The big hooked handle gave a very secure grip and weight of the front balanced blade made it feel like it had a mind of it's own. It performed better then a kukri or even my Pinuti. Great bargain too (on sale $65). I think you can order online. Go get one while they still have it.

5. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

I just took a peak at the Kris Cutlery Pira. Cecil did an excellent job of replicating the blade. It looks exactly like the modern Pira's that a gentleman from Zamboanga was selling a couple of years ago on Ebay.

They don't look much like the traditional Pira's that I have from Basilan. I am only guessing they modified the shape of the blade to compensate for its shorter length. That is something I would have to ask a true Sandata expert about, like Pendakar Style or Mr. Vargara. (the walking encyclopedias)

Anyone interested in posting photos of their Pira so we can make comarisons, antique, transitional and new?

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It would be great to see more of these swords!

7. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

8. zelbone

zelbone Guest

Why is this called a Pira Cotabato when the Maguindanao didn't use the Pira? As you say it is a Yakan sword, but the Yakan are from Basilan with a few living in Zamboanga...not Cotabato which is Maguindano territory....Pira Lamitan would be more appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2008