Krabi Krabong

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by The Phalanx, Dec 8, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

What you guys think of Krabi Krabong? We've studied some elements of KK and I feel very comfortable with it...

Anybody had any experience in it?

2. tellner

tellner New Member

I've only done a little of it. Krabi Krabong is a very effective system of military combatives encompassing a variety of weapons. The thing that most impresses me about it is how, hmmm, outgoing and aggressive it is. Using aerial kicks against a guy with swords would usually be suicidal. Krabi Krabong manages to make it work.

3. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Yes, it is very flashy yet very effective... If there was a Krabi Krabong school around here I would love to do it...

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've only ever seen clips of it. It looks cool but I haven't had the chance to try it!

5. AZEskrimador

AZEskrimador In All You Do... Be You!

KK looks very interesting and possibly very effective, although all I've done is see it on cable shows.
    It seems that one would have to be extremely athletic in order to do it.
    What do you do as you get to be an older practitioner? Just curious, as all I've seen is allot of very effective athletics.
    Any thoughts or answers would be of interest to me.

6. chiangmaiheadman

chiangmaiheadman New Member

There is a krabi krabong school here in Chiang Mai but they only teach advanced students. I have been learning Thai stickfighting from a former Thai army ranger here using a stick called a komfaq, and this is derived from krabi krabong, according to him.

7. William

William Mongrel Combative Arts

I’ve found Krabi Krabong to be a very effective system. Very raw and aggressive, hit, incapacitate, and move on to the next person….it very much has a battlefield type of feel to it. [FONT=&quot]The flow, power, and raw aggression within the expediency of take out and move on to the next opponent is still present. In the system I’ve trained the kicks are used in conjunction with set-ups/strikes. In many cases you’re left with a choice (example): My high line blade attack requires a block or counter move. I’m trying to draw your weapon up. Almost simultaneously I’ll shoot a teep into your midsection knocking you back or down opening you up for a finish.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Setting up the Teep:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.mongrelcombativearts.com/technique_15.html[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mai Sawks[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.mongrelcombativearts.com/mai_sawks_16.html[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is a raw video of my guys working some drills….[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.mongrelcombativearts.com/video_16.html[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Here is another one covering isolated drills, light and full contact sparring…[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.mongrelcombativearts.com/video_2_16.html[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The video is just mainly raw training of drills and sparring.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are different KK systems, the main one in the U.S. (that I’m aware of) is the Buddhai Sawan which is the line my instructor comes from. My exposure has been to the single and double Daabs (swords/sticks), the Mai Sawks, and staff. As I mentioned earlier, I can fully feel the battlefield attitude and technique coming through in what I’ve been exposed to. The flow, power, and raw aggression within the expediency of take out and move on to the next opponent is still present. I’ve seen some very flashy vids on YouTube that look pretty dang cool. From our perspective, when we go full contact we tend to keep it on low line and mid level for our Teeps and round kicks. Obviously most of us can’t test it out in real time (live blade to flesh) like the old days, but we can try to work it as realistically as possible without actually killing each other. Many of our training sessions will end with putting on a fencing mask/helmet, mouth guard, hand protection, and cup and work things light contact moving up to full contact. Actually working the movements at speed with an opponent who will begin by working with you and eventually as we ramp it up, be moving against you. In that context, the effectiveness of many of the movements, techniques, and set ups become apparent IMO. As I’ve posted elsewhere, when we go full contact we obviously aren’t using blades so we have to keep in mind the blade orientation of weapon delivery and not let it become a solely impact exercise.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I hope that helps a little.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Best regards,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]William[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]PS: For the pictures, if you click on “Slide show”, and set it on fast, it helps to see the techniques.[/FONT]

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Cool! I like slide shows like that.

9. William

Thanks!

We just had a two day Krabi Krabong camp (plus another full day of private instruction for me :) ) with Ajarn Steve Wilson so I'll be building more slide shows when I get a chance.

Best regards,
    William

10. William

I know I'm late in answering this question but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

A lot of the very flashy stuff you see is more for demo purposes and not likely to be used in full combat. In our full contact Krabi Krabong fighting techniques are more attack and counter-attack oriented. High jumping and kicking techniques are not utilized. That's not to say that we don't use teeps, knees, and round kicks, but they are used on the low to mid line along with slashing and or thrusting techniques. It is true that KK is highly aerobic and you will cover lots of ground with the footwork. Being in shape is a plus, and it will get you in shape training it.....but that can also be said of many other arts.

Regards,
    William

Mongrel Combative Arts
    Rhode Island

11. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Interesting stuff!

Just curious, do you work KK in to the curriculum at your school in RI?

12. William

Hi Carol,

Yes I do. I have been a long time private student of Ajarn Steve Wilson and the KK was something that I have pretty much kept to myself and a few of my long time students (a secret weapon as it were... :) ). I had previously introduced elements of it and also used it explain/demonstrate the origins of some of the Muay Thai/Muay Kacheuk ("Boran") techniques to my students. About six months ago I made the decision (and was given permission) to start actively teaching the system. Honestly, my students are loving it.

Best regards,
    William

13. William

Last night we rounded out our training session with two on one full contact double Daab sparring. Obviously the need for zoning becomes quickly apparent if you haven't done this before. One of the guys made the mistake of trying to cut between the attackers and very quickly learned that's a bad idea. We worked it with the attackers working in formation as well as free for all. We also used the numerous heavy bags and other objects in the gym as cover and zoning obstacles to make things more interesting and environmentally (as can be in a gym) realistic.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures to share, my camera batteries died.....and I had just charged them up. Well be doing this again in our next session so we'll get some footage to post.

Best regards,
    William

14. sneha

sneha -== Banned ==-

This is a really excellent read for me. Must admit that you are one of the best forums I ever saw. Thanks for posting this informative article.

15. William

Hey folks,

I know this forum is more directed at the FMA's, but since this is a KK thread I thought I would add my project to the posts. I've been trying to put together a Krabi Krabong Resource page and this is what I've come up with so far...

http://www.mongrelcombativearts.com/krabi_resources_74.html

It's a work in progress so I will continue to add to it. If you know of any other sources I don't have listed and you would like to share please let me know. It would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
    William

Mongrel Combative Arts
    Eight Limbs Muay Thai Studios

16. William

Fyi, I just recently had some training Daabs made up. Really nice quality and they're holding up real well to heavy training.

[​IMG]

William

17. William

Been a while since I've added to this thread...

We recently held a Martial Arts Of Thailand training seminar at the Just Train Gym in North Kingstown Rhode Island. We had a great day of training at an event to celebrate the martial arts of Thailand and hang out with other like minded martial artists. There was no “my school/your school” stuff, or paper tiger certificates handed out. Just a long day of training with highly trained and skilled people for a good time. An awesome day with a great group of people! We had coaches from different gyms come in and cover different aspects of Muay Thai, Muay Boran, and Krabi Krabong.

Kru William Shultz - Just Train/Mongrel Combatives
    Coach Jake Steinmann - Sityodtong Boston
    Coach George Thibault - Team Santos/Team United
    Coach Jeff Burger - Coach Jeff Burger Boston

We had it set up so that we had two sections running at the same time, eight sections in all so students had a variety of elements to choose from. Here are a couple of shots from the KK section to stay on topic of the thread. ;-) We worked single and double daab, as well as touching on the Mae Sawks and single daab with Mae Sawk.

William

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. William

A couple more shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]