Kombatan splinter or spin off groups?

Discussion in 'Kombatan' started by The Game, Jun 18, 2008.

1. The Game

The Game Pain

Just wondering if all Kombatan is under GM Ernesto or if there are independant groups or other Kombatan orgs out there?

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

That's a good question. Most groups that have been around long enough and have a big following generally have splinters eventually.

3. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

I'm not aware of any splinter groups myself, though I think there might be a number of clubs out there that aren't fully authorized to teach/give rank. I know at the WMAA camp there was mention of being an authorized school or something along those lines. Unfortunately I was paying more attention to lining up the next photo than what was being said.

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

The unathorized schools were more or less what I was thinking of when I was thinking of a splinter group. As far as other Kombaton organizations I haven't heard of any, but then again last I checked GM Ernesto is still alive. Look at what happens to almost every art when the leader passes away. I'm sure Kombaton will be no different. The best I can figure is that it's the unfortunate by-product of the confidence and leadership qualities that a good instructor instills in his student, so alot of them want to be the ones to show how well they've learned the lessons and can pass them on. Of course there are also the ones that do it just out of ego and the fact that they want to be top dog, or at least thought of that way.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I don't know of any splinter groups that use the name Kombatan.

6. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Well.. I think most splinter-groups fly under the radar 'cause they associated with other Modern Arnis Styles (and there are enough of those after Remy Presas' untimely death).

But there are a few.. I think you could say Julius Melegrito is one of them.

7. Combat Kali

Combat Kali New Member

8. Battle Born Arnis

Battle Born Arnis New Member

Shouldn't there be some legal issues if one is not authorized to teach Kombatan yet publicly teaches it under the said name? However, to answer the question, I too do not know of any splinter or spin off groups under Kombatan. Hopefully Grandmaster Ernesto Presas has learned lessons from his brother's passing and has set forth a clear continuation of the Kombatan lineage.