Kombatan--Meaning of Name?

Discussion in 'Kombatan' started by arnisador, Mar 1, 2006.

1. johnzag

johnzag Junior Member

LOL anything to procrastinate ... a good read is a good excuse ..

2. timagua

timagua New Member

more about philippine culture

As proven throughout history, Filipinos are noted for their bravery in battle. Ironically, they are also known for their fear of ghosts. While we’re on the subject of Philippine culture, here is an article by Jose G. Paman for Haunted America Tours...

http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/ghoststories/ghostscares/phillipineghosts.php

Although he works for a government agency investigating identity theft and license fraud, Master Paman wears many avocational hats. He is a sought-after lecturer on the writing trades, a graphic artist, a martial arts researcher, a sometime-singer for a top 40 and rhythm & blues band, and a language expert in Tagalog. Master Paman is also a recreational paranormal investigator. He recently concluded a ghost-hunting project in San Francisco’s historic Haight Ashbury district, renowned for its role in the 1967 Summer of Love. Hope you enjoy the read!

3. johnzag

johnzag Junior Member

interesting read.. don't know if I am a believer in this type of thing but good read none the less.

4. timagua

timagua New Member

There are many enduring native Filipino beliefs that Westerners might indeed find anachronistic. Growing up as a little girl in Manila, I heard concepts like tawas, pasma, balisawsaw, gayuma and bangungot that would seem incredible to foreigners but that form a vital part of local culture. Likewise, GGM Presas has been quoted as drawing powers from an anting anting or amulet. These beliefs are pertinent in that they reflect the fabric of the people that forged the art of arnis, the practice of which we all commonly share.

5. johnzag

johnzag Junior Member

timagua no argument on my side just said that I individually am not a believer however this does not mean that I do not appreciate the fact that others will hold a different opinion and have strong beliefs in things that i may not. I have been over to the Philippines a few times and obviously have an appreciation in the local beliefs and customs. Like yourself I believe in understanding the people behind the art in hope of gaining a further appreciation of the art itself. At least I try as best I can as a non Filipino.

6. timagua

timagua New Member

Everything is way cool, johnzag! I have actually heard of you going back to the PI for training. I think that regardless of personal beliefs and preferences, we are all sisters and brothers in GGM Ernesto Presas’ art and that in the bigger picture, we are likewise all cousins with everyone else into the FMAs.

I noticed that you have an Italian name. I have been to Rome twice and thoroughly enjoyed myself there...sort of a pilgrimage, being Catholic and all.

But, I guess, enough of the idle talk. Gotta go back and practice double, single and reverse sinawali. I just appreciate being part of a forum on GGM’s system with all the great folks.

7. johnzag

johnzag Junior Member

Yep both my parents were born in Italy but migrated to Australia where I was born. Have been back to Italy with family and yes as a catholic myself Rome is a very interesting place.. Good Luck with the practice ;)