Knife tapping,Balisong,Kerambit,Dumog

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by longrange, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Thanks, PM me with a price (even if it's a rough estimate) and I'll let you know if I can afford it or not right now.

2. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

Another site for Filipino weapons

I don't know if this helps but you should check out http://www.traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/

These are all filipino crafted weapons of excellent quality, I love my Barong and will slowly be adding to my collection over time.

3. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

I know for a fact that Mr. Snow can get you the real thing. Don't be fooled by look-a -likes. If he says he will have the blade April, I would wait and get it from him. I was very happy with my blades which came to me direct from a Grand Master.

God Bless,
    Stephen

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've been to Ron's site before and his stuff looks great and I've never heard a bad review about any of the weapons. He has the more traditional kerambit. I found the lugod on the kris cutlery site (it was under Misc. Weapons), but it doesn't look all that sturdy. Which is pretty much the standard look of most of their weapons. In fact just on looks alone I'd pay the extra cash to get one of Ron's blades. His look like they can be used while the others look a little suspect.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yup, he's got real connections in the Phil.!

6. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

All of the weapons on the traditionalfilipinoweapons.com site are made in the Phipippines, they are definitely not look-a-likes. Go check for yourself.

Marty

7. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Hi Brock,

I guess it really depends on what you are lokiing for? If you want a real Lugod or Ginunting, they only come from Negros or Panay. If you want a real Tausug Kalis or Barong, they only come from northeast Borneo or the Sulu Archipelago, If you want a real Pira, they only come from Basilan, etc. Of course, I have a real bad name when it comes to Sandata, I am so pickey that my friends call me the "Sandata *******". As a matter of fact, I am so insistent upon authenticity and quality. I recieved a bunch of replicas from Manila about 7 or 8 years ago and I was so %^&&#@ off, that I used them for throwers to stick in the side of a barn.

I am not trying to discredit Ron by any means though, I looked at the site just now and the bladesa gorgeous.

I was also not trying to make a sale or turn GTT Nene's forun into an auction house. I was simply offering to do a one time favor for you with not intention for profit in mind. It was only going to run you about 30 bucks to get an authentic Ilonngo Lugod from the mountians right next door to Talisay, Negros Occidental. I planned on getting a handful anyway and telling you when they came in. No cash needed up front. It would be worth it for me, just so other people can see that Ilonggo Sandata is so awesome that there is no need to substitute other weapons from other cultures inside or outside of the Philippines.

God Bless, Mike

8. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Mike,
    Put me in for an espada ginunting about 9 inches long so I can use it with the contradas practice with my fresh meat students

9. R. Mike Snow

Gotcha covered Bill, Salamat!

10. medic

medic Junior Member

Mike can you put one away for me also.

Shaun

11. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Mr. Snow, I was just saying that I found the blade on Kris Cutlery. Looking at it though I personally wouldn't buy it from them cuz I think it looks like it wouldn't be functional and would definatly rather have one from you that was functional. I'm a little anal about my live blades being functional at least. I strive for 100% authentic, but I'll make small concessions as long as the blade is functional. 30 bucks plus whatever it would cost for you to ship it to me is not a problem at all, so put me down for one.

12. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

I'm sorry if a over reacted, I am new to forums and hope I did not offend anyone.
    I am becoming very interested in FMA and am learning that I know next to nothing regarding the Philippines, particularly the cultural differences found in their martial arts and weaponry. I am sure that there are excellent sources for filipino weapons, it's just that I'm so new to the art that I could easily get burned by a nice looking site and end up with crap.

This probably isn't really the proper thread for that type of discussion though. Is there a thread devoted to filipino weapons?

Thanks
    Marty

Marty

13. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Marty- Ron's stuff (the site you posted) is quality work. I was commenting on the weapons from another site. The way I worded it though wasn't the best, so there was a little confusion I think.

14. R. Mike Snow

Hey Marty,

Don't feel bad about anything.......... Feel free to dicuss and compare blades and styles, that's what these threadsare for. I just didn't want anyone to think I was geedily trying to make a sale.

Got'cha covered Brock.......

See everyone in a couple of weeks........

God Bless, Mike

15. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

Thanks, I appreciate it.
    And Brock: There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of time. But this is a beginning..
    Robert Jordan RIP

16. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Thanks Mike I really appreciate it! I personally never got the impression you were trying to make a sale, more like when my wife says, "Hey, I'm running to the store. You need anything while I'm there?"

As far as I know you're the first to catch that. I've got mixed emotions about the release of book 12...

17. GLENNLOBO

GLENNLOBO New Member

i looked up lugod on google and got some weird linux stuff. are they the Filipino kerambits as described, or are they different, and how so?

I found the lugod on the kris cutlery site (it was under Misc. Weapons), cant see it there? have they gone?

many thanks
    Glenn

18. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Glenn,
    There are a couple of karambit designed tools in the Philippines, but not quite the same design.. One version that comes to mind is the sanggot which has a curved blade at the end of a small stick usually the size of a palm stick.. It is primarily used for coconut husking and with some variations of the length of stick, could have been a sickle design..

19. GLENNLOBO

GLENNLOBO New Member

nice photo

thanks for the photo Bill.
    slightly bigger than the kerambit!!

there is a similar weapon, much smaller called a sabit which is for cutting grass, and the celurit.. a favourite weapon in madura.
    the Indonesians also have a lawi ayam- cock's spur, which is more angular than the Kerambit and designed to be held in a different grip. i am a great fan of the kerambit so like weapons that are similar and am interested in their uses.

i'll try to dig mine out and photo them for you if youre interested.

regards
    Glenn

20. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Mike, could you PM me your contact info and, so I can send you my home address and get shipping info for the Lugod?