Knife Skills Illustrated (Cooking).

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by arnisador, Aug 26, 2007.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A book review in the WSJ:

Knife Skills Illustrated

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Associated with a knife maker, apparently...

I saw this in a knife magazine earlier today:
    www.tacticalgrilling.com

3. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

knife skills

I remember seeing the WSJ article when it came out and thinking, "I'd like to get that book." It's on my Amazon.com wish list.

It reminds me of what a friend of mine used to say about how the best "knifers" were people who used knives all day long. The most to be feared, he said, were oyster shuckers....

Best,

Steve

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

5. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Thanks for the link. I'm actually looking for a good kitchen knife carrying case at the moment but was thinking about having something made up in canvas to match the actual number of knives I'm carrying. (Keep in mind you should use plastic covers for the knives in addition to the case.) I keep an identical set at each place that I'm living: an 8" chef's knife, bread knife, fillet knife, small paring knife. Although it's fun to have lots of toys I find that I can do 90% of what I want to do with just the chef's knife. The reason that I want a carrying case is that it's easier to transport knifes than the water stones that I've been using to keep them sharp.

Re. Knife Skills Illustrated: I did end up getting it and it's very good - especially with regard to specialty items. The knife skills section in Jacques Pepin's La Technique is the classic, gold standard (and you'll learn how to make an omelet, as well).

Best,

Steve

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Wow, a separate set at each place--you're serious about kitchen knives too!