Knife recommendations?

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by Carol, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Combative Edge

Combative Edge New Member

ummm.. I can think of one! tehehe...

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've seen some of Rob's designs. They're pretty badd ass.

3. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I'm looking forward to seeing more. Especially the folders. My K-Bar just isn't as easy to carry about :D

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A classic problem! Everyone disparages folders, it seems, but no one wants to carry around a fixed blade knife all day!

5. Malapitan

Malapitan New Member

I used to carry a Spyderco Endura with the emerson wave feature (sold it to get a new one hehehe). For EDC and SD use, I highly recommend it. The emerson wave allows you to open the knife right out of your pocket. Plus its a spyderco in very good VG-10 steel, and its a lockback, which I favor for folding knives. I'm getting a benchmade griptillian soon and I'll post a comment on it as an EDC and SD option.

Sometimes I carry a CRKT M21-15, which has a 4 inch AUS8 blade. It's a liner lock with a LAWKS feature that holds the lock into position so it eliminated the chances of folding the knife by accident if you grip it too tight. It's a hefty knife but the profile makes it a great slicer. My only complaint is the edge geometry. Could be better but that's more important for knife nuts like me hehe

Having said all that, if you can pull it off legally and concealment-wise, I would recommend a fixed blade over a folding knife. No folding knife will match the strength of a fixed blade and when you have to draw it for SD, there's no fiddling with it to open. Pick a fixed blade that's relatively thin for better carry and concealment. One option would be a good neck knife like the Benchmade Instigator.

Hope that helps.

6. Dec

Dec Junior Member

I usualy carry a $20 gerber folder with the thumb opener. It opens easy with your thumb. It is a work knife, but if I had to use it the pointy end would go into the soft stuff of the attacker well. No way the police could say its a tactical knife.

The first one I got I put it in a bench vice and locked it open so I could test it and see how much abuse it could handle. I used a 10' piece of 3/4" steel pipe slid it over the blade and applied preasure. It didnt close. good enuff for me, I wont cut my fingers off due to lock failure and its small with a pocket clip. I went back to Lowes and grabed another to carry.

Im not a longtime FMA practioner, so take it with a grain of salt. Just my opnion.

If i were a LEO or security professional and could get away with a tactical folder I would concider one of the more expensive ones, but if I loose this one its not a huge financial hit.

Here is a link : http://www.rockynational.com/1177_22-08447_Gerber_Paraframe_II_Stainless_Serrated_Edge.html

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, I just got a Gerber (not the same model--those open handles, I dunno...) for my son when the blade I as trying to order him turned out to be sold out wherever I looked! This was just from Dick's sporting goods--it's his first, now that he's 18.

8. tellner

tellner New Member

I've carried a lot of knives over the years. But mostly it's been a Spyderco Endura. The one I wear now has the Emerson Wave feature.

It doesn't have a sexy name like the Mark XIII Blac-Tac CQC Battle-Ready Eviscerator FPI-ROI (For Physical Inadequacies - Real Or Imagined ;) ). But it is sturdy, fits my hand, opens and stays opened and does everything a knife needs to do.

How is it for stabbing and cutting on people? I have no idea and hope never to find out. But once or twice just making it casually appear has reminded people with questionable intentions that they had urgent business elsewhere, like across four lanes of traffic elsewhere.

Got no complaints. Sal Glesser should live a hundred years and make millions more dollars for coming up with this knife.

9. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I have been very happy with my Spyderco endura as well. Great knife and with them making an exact trainer to match, I can practice with the exact same knife that I carry on a regular basis. Not only will my knife ergonomics be the same but I get to practice deploying the knife in class. That is a distinct plus for me.

10. tiburon2112

tiburon2112 New Member

EDC Knife

[FONT=&quot]CRKT Crawford Triumph Folder (#1031TS);[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Tanto blade w/combined razor-sharp & veff serraed cutting edge, Outburst Assisted Opening; Frame, black G-10 scales; Blade, length 3.50in, thickness 0.14in; steel AUS 8, 58-59 HRC; closed, handle length 5in, open overall length 8.5in; Weight 6.3oz[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A workhorse of a knife. Solid construction w/ a dual-locking safety feature. Rip it![/FONT]

11. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I am interested to see if anyone has reviewed the new folders by 5.11 tactical. They have several models, including a kerambit. From what I have heard so far they are quite well done.