Knife recommendations?

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by Carol, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Looking for recommedations for my next purchase - an everyday carry blade. Currently I am carrrying a Spyderco Delica (3" blade) which I like a lot.

I'm looking for a folder that won't get me in to hot water with the local constabulary should I get caught with it. I'd rather not carry anything with a name imprinte on it that sounds like somethng Rambo would carry. I'd also prefer to keep the blade around 4", it absolutely must be under 6". I'm not looking for something cheap, I'd rather spend the money and know that I'm getting something of good quality.

Your thoughts?

2. James

James Crescent City Eskrima

Fixed or folder? I usually carry a fixed blade strong side and a folder on my complimentary side. The delica is a great knife. If you want something bigger, go for the Waved Spyderco Endura. The ergonomics are much the same as a delica and the wave makes deployment a snap.

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Carol,

Thats a nice blade. I also like several CRKT models as well.

4. Carol

Thanks guys!

Understandably, a fixed blade does have better structural integrity, but a folder has a few more advantages for what I'm looking for. The Delica is really nice, I really like how I can carry it with just about anything without it poking me in the hips. :D I don't know if I'll have the same experience with a larger blade, but I'll definitely check out the Endura.

5. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Been offline for a while, depending on your budget, you might look at carrying a Benchmade, my daily carry is an AFCK (the original design with the liner lock). Somtimes, I'll go with a pair of Spyderco Enduras one fully serrated, one plain edged. But I prefer the AFCK; a really well thought out too.

6. Carol

Thanks so much for your input Anthony!

Benchmade sure does make a sweet knife.

Have you had any concerns at all with the liner lock? It does not appear to be everyone's first choice in an EDC blade...just curious as to your input :)

7. blindside

blindside student

I haven't ever had an issue with a failure with good quality liner locks. My first carry knife (AFCK) and my current one (Emerson Commander) both are liner locks and I have abused the heck out of them trying to induce a failure, I was not successful, so I am satisfied in their quality.

Lamont

8. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

I have had zero concerns with a liner lock. I use my knife everyday to open things and cut zip ties, etc. The AFCK was designed to be able to be used as a pocket stick/yawara and in that respect it works very well. It will also deploy the blade quickly when needed.

9. Matt Lamphere

Matt Lamphere New Member

A Timberline Wortac is a good choice as well. (the smaller one) the larger blade is more like a folding pocket sword. :) It' wicked cool but kind of large in the pocket.

The small one has real nice opening action for quick deployment.

I carry that and a Delica or Endura (depending on how I feel in the morning). It's kind of like picking out what shirt to wear.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's been my usual carry, though I'm now experimenting! It feels good in the hand and opens snoothly.

11. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Carry knife

The AFCK is my every day knife. It doesn't scream "tactical folder" and is well designed and produced. As someone said above, it works quite well as a yarawa as well.

Best,

Steve Lamade

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hmmm...here's a review of a Mini-AFCK, and a review of a regular-sized one.

13. Boz

Boz Kailat Kombatives Student

I am a huge fan of the Cold Steel Scimitar. It has a 4 inch curved blade and a Ball on the punyo end for striking. Although not a Filipino design, it works very well for FMA knife techniques.

14. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I used to carry a Scimitar ( I loved that shiv) but I lost the damn thing somehow..LOL...I am now carrying a little Kershaw Ken Onion blackout...more of a utility knife than anything.[​IMG]

It is a good blade for opening boxes and daily chores one may do with a blade and It will do if it has to be deployed in harms way, It has a good point and edge.

15. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I also used to carry a Kershaw for a long time, the Vapor model, and as PG Mike said - I lost it. I then went to CRKT M16, but it was alittle big, so now I am with Cold Steel voyager... and it's very good! Small and unassuming, but functional and reliable enough.

16. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Nice Kershaw.

My new daily carry is a Chris Reeves Sebenza. I like it. A lot. Mine is from 1999.

17. Makata

Makata New Member

As of late, I favor the full-size Spyderco Manix, with a Spydie Delica as a backup. :)

18. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I have a big timberline wortac that I use from time to time as I picked it up when I was stateside.. But since I lost my afck when I moved back to the isle of gilligan, the wortac is one that I swap out from day to day.. It is like a sword from which Matt said, but then again, It's a genetics thing since I carry a big sword anyway out here

19. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

I prefer to carry my Lugod, along with my electrician license. It's my sheath knife for cutting romex. [​IMG] Accompanied by my needle nose pliers and a
    10-way screwdriver, how could they possible refute?

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hey, a needle-nose pliers isn't a bad weapon in itself! :D