Knife Crime in the U.K.

Discussion in 'FMA in the News' started by arnisador, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Yes you have to love the logic of the great British reaction to crime??????

We now all have to lock ourselves in our homes just incase it snows and we all die of frost bite and someone might attack us with a snowplough:mecry:

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sheesh! Well, I'll say this--someone did a great job of making a small folding knife look like a huge, evil sword.

3. Yep, and they'll probably get 18 months jail with a TV and Play Station.

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes that is pretty amazing. I feel for you Pat as that must affect your business. You to EskrimaKaliArnis.

5. Pat OMalley

No not really we chose a few years ago only to sell blunt trainers as we could see the law on such things going all pear shaped. If anything they are doing me a favour as more and more people are interested in training against knife attack;)

6. Pat OMalley

I did'nt realise our prisons where that rough now, must be the government cutbacks eh!;)

7. heh heh, depends what you do I suppose. If it's a nice bit of fraud you still get a PS3 I think!. Bash a granny and it's pong.

Seriously though I remember when all the Gary Glitter hurrah was going on a few months back and he was restricted travel due to being a sex offender. They published statistics to show that this law tended to be enforced several times more on football holigans (which I con't condone btw) than registered sex offenders. How they work the logic out for that one I don't know. Should take the passports away from both.

Thanks for the concern arnisador. I shifted all my training stuff onto ebay.com (american ebay) several months ago as ebay made it mandatory for customers to give ebay credit card details for training blades (blunt aluminium / wood) and the GB Pound is in the toilet. In theory the credit check is o.k but even I don't trust ebay with those details. Their track record (particulary paypal which I thought you had to be over 18 to use anyway...) is less-than-stellar with un-authorised payments.

You'd thought though that providing proof you were over 18 and your items were legal would be enough for ebay but oh no..

Pat - suggest you take a look at this announcement ASAP. Like you I only sell training blades but EVERYTHING pertaining to a knife not cuttlery (like wood knives for example) is not allowed on ebay.

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/200902.shtml#2009-02-09183038

Nice work ebay. They even announced it on TV before telling the people whose livlihoods that are affected through the site.:grrr:

8. Eskrimador Supplies

Eskrimador Supplies New Member

The couriers in the UK actually implemented this rule many years ago (Not sure exactly when, but I do remember the conversations I had about 3 years ago). They will not allow us to send anything out of the UK that resembles a knife and yes that includes wooden daggers. Haha!

I was sending something to Brazil and it just had a blunt sword and dagger in the parcel, it was scanned and returned with a refusal to carry it. Of course I phoned them up and they advised I am not allowed to send knives of any sort. I obviously questioned this further to see what other problems I might have in the future, they advised it was a new policy that all the courier companies had agreed to implement. I asked about wooden daggers and they said "If it resembles a knife in any way regardless of material or dull edge, it would not be carried".

I proceeded to phone some other couriers who all said it would be scanned and returned too, due to this new rule.

I asked if they would send kitchen knives and they said......YES!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

How rediculous.

However they have now tightened this a bit more and state that it has to be a set of kitchen knives with a purchase receipt.

Another funny thing was when I asked why I cannot send blunt or wooden knives, they said because......they do not know who's hands they will end up in.....and apparently they may sharpen them at the other end and use them to hurt someone, hahaha! Another rediculous answer. They now assume everyone wanting a knife requires it for illegal intentions, talk about presumptious.

This must mean I am a serial killer! Hehe! Or perhaps an arms dealer......cool!

I replied with, "well hopefully they end up at the address on the label".

I also mentioned that it would be alot of trouble to go to, buying one of my swords, sharpening it which would be really hard and a shoddy end result, when they are readily available to buy sharp all over the world.

So I have been having to get round these rules for a few years now anyway, so ebay is really no surprise.

Think about this.....should they not start with the children to create a new generation of passive beings if they really want to change society as they are still allowing them to be desensortised. But they still have toy guns and knives and swords in toy shops, so really....they are not taking this clean up as seriously as they make out. You can do alot of damage with a plastic sword.....they could have someones eye out!

I think I will just call myself a toy shop instead of a martial arts shop...... Then they will leave me alone, hahaha!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. Eskrimador Supplies

Eskrimador Supplies New Member

OK I have just looked it up......the first time I experienced problems with the couriers was October 2005 and that was when they told me it was a new recent rule change in their terms of service.

Best regards

Lucy

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Seen on MT.

First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      10.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Commented on this this on another thread...

Wanna bet?

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Heh. Nope.

But the average enraged person grabbing one of those and doing the Anthony Perkins "Psycho" swing should be causing less damage than he or she would have with a regular knife. You can be slashed forty times and survive, but you're not likely to survive forty stabs...

Mind you, I find the whole thing silly--making a tool less useful for its intended use on on purpose, because there exists the possibility of using it in a crime. But from a purely engineering viewpoint it isn't a bad way to address what they perceive as the problem.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

14. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Cock - a- hoop = happy,over the moon.

15. Pat OMalley

I rekon I could stab someone with it, put enough force and intent behind it and you can stab someone with a soup spoon. Good bit of marketing though. And slash the right spot and your dead anyway. If it can cut meat to the bone, your meat.

16. Pat OMalley

chuffed as little mint balls, sorted, well happy. Mint mate.

17. Shaun

Shaun New Member

LOL,Well put mate.

18. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander Junior Member

" the knife will cut vegetables, but will make it almost impossible to stab someone to death and will reduce the risk of accidental injuries. "

Funny. I had no idea that people were actually,ACCIDENTALLY, stabbing themselves.
    The only thing dumber than this knife is the people who will buy them believing the hype.

People refuse to acknowledge the fact that knife crime has NOT actually increased in well over 10 years. It's the age of the perpetrators that has changed. Not the use of knives or crimes in general, just the age of the useres has lowered.

As for this "rounded tip" garbage they are now spewing; I can testify to the fact that I am STILL carrying a mark on my stomach from a "rounded TRAINING knife" that I recieved from may of last year.
    I still managed to deflect the knife, but, I took a slight "indent", just the same. That particular knife is sold as a metal training knife. Nothing more.
    BUT, you CAN apply enough force to penetrate flesh.

Besides, certain people can penetrate the rib cage with a non-broken (or altered) credit card.
    and that has rounded edges ;-)

19. More crazyness from the land of my birth:

Apparently the police back-tracked a bit as she was initially chastised.

As somebody wrote on another forum:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Waste watchers? UK group fears trash bin spies