Knife Arts in movies...how about silat?

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by young blade, Jan 31, 2007.

1. young blade

young blade New Member

We've seen fma demonstrations in movies right? Like The Hunted, Bourne Identity, etc...

Now I'm wondering if there are movies that have silat guys to intervene in it's fight choreography..does anyone here knows some info? I'm just curious..

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Check out www.cassmagda.com There's a couple movies listed. They're low budget flicks, but it's Silat none the less.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

You can view a clip from Hawk's Vengeance here. It says the character uses Flipino Kali.

Hmmmm, a former ex-marine...so, he re-enlisted? :)

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Shhh... We try not to point out mistakes like this.

Anyway, the stick work is Kali. The knife work looks to be Silat influenced though.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Looks neat either way. I'll keep an eye out for it at the DVD store.

6. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Cass Magda is a great guy. I visited his school once. One of my bro's friends knew Cass from his World Kulintang Organization. I think we borrowed some of his gongs for CSUN's Filipino Club (FASA)'s PCN (Pilipino Cultural Night).

Anyways, the way I understand it, Cass has trained under Guro Dan Inosanto as well as many Indonesian and Filipino masters overseas.

If you have an opportunity to see him or his WKO do it!

7. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I agree. I trained with him on 3 occasions last year and plan on trying to fit 2 of his seminars into my schedule this year. My Senkotiros training may trump one of the seminars though, depends on my budget. As great as Sifu Cass is Prof. Pallen is absolutly amazing!

8. young blade

young blade New Member

Thanks dude.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Any other FMA/silat knife movies?

10. 408kali

408kali Member

Angel Cabales had a cameo in a movie titled "Tiger's Revenge" (think it may have had an alternate title?).

Contacted the person distributing the VHS-only release, who was selling it for $50. each.

If interested I will find the contact info.

There are a few others, such as "Kamagong" which I believe is a Tagalog action flick starring a former Philippine President Estrada (correct me if I'm wrong) who was also an fma'er.

One of the Ricketts (dont remember his first name - not Topher though) was in a movie about Arnis, which I believe is also a Tagalog-only flick.

Had a comprehensive list a few years back, as I am a big kung fu flix fan, so my information is a few years old. :)

11. young blade

young blade New Member

Lito Lapid is the actor in 'Kamagong', he became a politician too. And If I'm not mistaken, the Arnis movie you're referring to is called "Mano Mano" then under it it says "Arnis:the lost art"..something like that, I can't remember exactly, but I did saw the movie. Even "kamagong', it's a freakin' old film..I think I wasn't even born yet when they made that one

12. 408kali

408kali Member

Yes thanks youngblade for the correction! Then of course there's a movie I've heard of called "Arnis Sticks of Death" or I believe the alternate title is simply "Sticks of Death" ... I know there are a few old Eskrimadors out there with copies of these flicks. Shareware, people, shareware!!!
    Plus most Pinoys are bilingual and many speak english, so we should get together and translate just like Chinese Kung Fu flicks!!! It'd be funny- I'll help narrate hahaha >_<

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

14. Silence_sucks

Silence_sucks New Member

Damon Caro and Chad Stahelski did the choreography for 300, apparently the directors couldn't find anything on how the Spartans or the other Greeks actually fought so far as blades go (not including phalanx formation etc) and decided to go with kali. I think it paid off, its a brilliant movie.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What system of Kali do they practice?

16. Beungood

Beungood New Member

Anyone see "EXposure" with Peter Coyote? I do not think it is FMA,but the kife scense are pretty decent.

A Chris Kemp was the fight coordinator.

17. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I have the movie exposure. The knife/fight choreographer was Chris Kent from Guro Dan Inosanto's group.. You can tell by the first set of abcedario that it was jkd influenced... Good knife scenes and the fights were also top notch.. Peter Coyote also played in a couple of other films where he played a knife practitoner. But the exposure film was the first one that I saw which included the JKD system,

Bill
    Defensive Tactics
    Guam

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I like Exposure! I didn't know who did the knife stunt/training work, though.

19. Silence_sucks

Silence_sucks New Member

Inosanto/lacoste system, both i belive are top seinior sudents under Guro Dan,
    my sifu was talking to them about the movie at the last instructors conference, apparently they did the work on 'Alexander' too.

20. Silence_sucks

Silence_sucks New Member

Inosanto/lacoste system, both i believe are top senior students under Guro Dan,
    my sifu was talking to them about the movie at the last instructors conference, apparently they did the work on 'Alexander' too.