Kicking Technique

Discussion in 'Sikaran' started by ChrisS, Jan 26, 2007.

1. ChrisS

ChrisS Junior Member

One of the things I've come to truly appreciate about Sikaran is the the way that the hips are utilized to provide power, strength, speed, and take stress off the knee when throwing a kick. One of the big differences between Sikaran kicking and Tae Kwon Do kicking (this is not a shot against TKD in any way, merely an observation of my own) is that Sikaran doesn't place as much emphasis on snapping the knee for a snap kick, thus saving the joint some grief. While our kicks like the roundhouse and side kick have snap to them, using the hips to push and control the kicks is always present. I've found that very little speed is lost when I add thrust into a side kick, rather than only snapping my knee. Also, building strength in this area creates a very solid foundation -- an important thing for someone who is kick-oriented. In an art known for its kicks, it seems like being able to use the hips to "juice" any kick is a necessity.

Any thoughts from other Sikaran practitioners or other kickers? I'm curious how fundamental the hips are to others.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Does this mean you don't use snap kicks at all, or just very sparingly?

3. ChrisS

ChrisS Junior Member

Pure snap kicks very sparingly. There is snap to all kicks, we just ensure that the hips and body are behind the kick, not only the knee. This better distributes stress and keeps it away from the joint.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

So many arts do not take into account long term health effects. I sometimes feel that some arts are more likely to hurt your health than to save your life in combat!

5. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

I also was taught to use the thighs/hips more than the knees.

6. kindred

kindred New Member

In lethwei the same principle of POWER kicks is applied as in power drives through the legs or mid kicks through the body ,, the leg stays straight and the power comes from the body and the hips as you are visualizing kicking through the opponent and breaking them ,, are there any videos on your art it sounds very intersting like a mix of kickboxiing ,kyusho jutsu or dim mak and sticks

7. Wayuk-Oyaak

Wayuk-Oyaak New Member

Sparred a sikaran practitioner as a way of exchanging ideas (more like looking what other systems can give). For over years of doing HKD one can see the difference between Sikaran and HKD. The kicks that developed by KMAers more are chambering - try imagining upper leg up and then the foot just snaps quicker – health risks on joints later in age. Then more hip throw - twisting the body onto the side. Sikaran guys have a different approach but there are a lot of similarities. Depends on who or how the kick delivered or thrown in. Some KMAers use their kicking abilities like a big log striking onto the opponents' body. Imagine Jackie Chan's kicks, snaps quicker but the chambering of the kicks still there. Hoping someday it will not lead to any arthritic issues. Just my 2¢ worth. :)

8. BushidoFMA

BushidoFMA New Member

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Neat! There are several other clips there, including this one that reminds me of capoeira.

I see from the small kicking target that accuracy is prized in this art!

10. mkriii

mkriii New Member

As for the roundhouse (rear leg) kick I don't put much snap in it, i put a little bit. I find that if I can get a good pivot on that base leg and put my weight into the kick instead of consentrating on snapping the kick I can get just as much speed and power. I think though honestly, I might loose a little speed but not much. I think by putting more of my body weight into the kick instead of more snap it might slow me down a little but not enough to really make a difference. I'd rather have the power in the kick than a lightning fast kick with no power behind it. Getting hit with a kick with no power all thats going to do is piss someone off.