kerambits

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by Shaun, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Can anyone recommend a really top quality kerambit,that is available through mail order?

2. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Karambits

Fixed blade or folder? If fixed blade, do you prefer double or single edged designs? Do you have large hands, small hands? What is your choice in regard to ring diameter (large or thick fingered people tend to like a bit larger ring, while the thinner fingered folk like a smaller diameter ring which will not allow much oscillation when the knife is extended and retracted or spun)? Do you have a price range in mind?

Sorry to hit you up with so many questions, but it will be easier to recommend something with a bit more information. For example, James Coogler (a custom maker) has a nice fixed blade made of titanium with G-10 handles for sale right now, but it is $500.00. Is this too pricey or anything close to what you are looking for? Coogler makes top notch stuff. He is making me a custom, of my own design, out of 154CPM steel. A single edged Emerson Fixed Blade Karambit can be yours for less than $200 if you look around a bit, and these are great knives--superb balance and good fit and finish. I own quite a few karambits and have handled the majority of the production folders and many of the fixed blade producton models available in the U.S. For the last couple of years, one of my duties has been to represent my law enforcement agency at a few police and tactical shows, and I generally played with all the available toys. I also test the occassional knife out for a maker or two.

3. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Hey KaliGman.Thanks for the help.
    I had been looking at some Emerson fixed blade kerambits.The price is acceptable.
    The problem is too many training trips to the Philippines.
    Would you say that for the $200.00 price range,the Emerson fixed blade kerambits are pretty much the best?
    Thanks again.

4. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

5. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Thanks for the help Marty.I will check out your link.
    Shaun

6. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

No problem, it's always good to have options.

Marty

7. KaliGman

Karambits

Traditional karambits are great for many tasks. For actual carry and hard use (for me, use in a tactical and federal law enforcement environment), I prefer the more modern karambit designs, as they are a bit tougher.

In my opinion, the Emerson Fixed Blade Karambit is an excellent knife and my first choice in the around $200 price range. The Emersons have a smaller diameter finger ring than the Striders and, for the way that I use a karambit, better balance. The Emersons are made of 154CM steel--a tough, modern stainless steel which takes and holds a good edge and does not require as much maintenance as carbon steel when carried close to the body. The Emerson comes with a nice sheath system--kydex or concealex I believe--that holds the knife securely, comes with a removable Tek Lock device to secure the sheath to your belt, and which has multiple "lashing" points on it so you can carry the knife around your neck, use the pocket or inside the waistband tether system, or lash the knife to your gear. The handles on the knife are G-10. Both knife and sheath will stand up to wear and hard use. Should you have a problem, Emerson's warranty department is outstanding (of course, you would have to ship it back from the UK, which would be a pain).

I hope this helps. If you want, I can send you photos of the two Emerson Fixed Blade Karambits I have. One has the black coating and is set up for "tactical tether" carry, while the other is a satin finish and is set up with the Tek Lock for belt carry. Feel free to post more questions or PM me.

Happy hunting--it's always fun to buy a new knife.

8. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Kerambits-thanks

Hey KaliGman,can't thank you enough for the advice,particularly as it is so comprehensive.

Sounds like the Emerson fixed blade is the one to get.I do like a slightly smaller finger ring(a friend of mine who teaches Silat recommends smaller ring dimensions)

As you say traditional design is nice,but far more important is reliability and functionality.

If it is not too inconvenient and you have the time ,pictures would be excellent.

9. KaliGman

Karambits

Shaun,

I'll snap some photos this weekend and send them to you or post them on the web and send you a link.

Take care.

Jon

10. Shaun

Shaun New Member

OK Jon,thanks.Look forward to getting one.

11. Hawke

Hawke New Member

12. KaliGman

Cold Steel

I don't like the balance on the Cold Steel and didn't care for the feel of the handle.