Kerambit.

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by arnisador, Jan 4, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What exactly is the geographic distribution of the kerambit (karambit) as a traditional weapon? I always think of it as principally Indonesian with representation in Malaysia and the Philippines, and Wikipedia seems to agree (see here), but I hear others say that it is native to other countries in that general area as well. Of course, that would be no surprise!

I'm not sure I believe the claim that it was an agricultural tool as well.

2. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Its an agricultural tool in the Philippines, used to dehusk coconuts.

Its only recently you see it used as a weapon in FMA.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Really!?! After the debunking of stories about the sai and such being Okinawan farming tools turn ed to weapons, I was suspicious!

4. Palusut

Palusut -== Banned ==-

Actually a student of mine had found an old book about the Philippines which had an agriculural section with pictures of a Nipa (sic) hut (GM Presas had stories about his training under them as a boy) and another picture of a boy who had a agricultural kerambit.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Really! OK, I guess it is one then!

6. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Could you scan and post the picture here? Would that be infringing on any copyright laws?

7. Palusut

Palusut -== Banned ==-

Unfortunately she checked the book out of the public library and that was at least a year and a half ago.

And unfortunately, it would be a copyright issue too.

8. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Whats the book?

9. Palusut

Palusut -== Banned ==-

Sorry,

I cannot help, it was a year and a half ago and I do not remember the title.

The book was just shown to me in passing.

Best regards,

Palusut

10. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

I have found that martial arts books at the libraries are all missing, including the Universities around my home by a few hours.

Although even a local town with about 10,000 people usually has a book on culture or on dance or ..., and in there there is good information for such and also good pictures.

Check them out by doing a search at the local Library or local University, and concentrate on culture and dance, etcetera.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I got to play with a knife designer's prototype for his new kerambit recently. It had the usual curved handle but a very small blade. It was almost like a curved boxcutter! It wasn't what I think of as a kerambit--I expect a blade of length comparable to the length of the grip. It was kind of like one of those claws but with a short blade at the very end.

I liked it, actually, and will get one when it comes out if the price is right--all the more so because it comes with a matching trainer and specially designed sheath that allows for drawing into forward grip with the one hand or reverse grip with the other. It just doesn't seem as kerambit-y to me!

12. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Kerambit

As noted here my friend Wes Tasker is teaching a seminar that in part compares the knife/karambit used in Pekiti Tirsia Kali to two Indonesian Silat arts that he teaches. I'm not sure if that means comparing Pekiti knife to Silat karambit, or whether Pekiti has its own version of karambit. In either case, it's worth a look at.

Best,

Steve Lamade

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Alas, although I went to college there, I'm now in Albuquerque and won't be able to make it. I've had minimal instruction in the kerambit and would enjoy taking such a seminar!

14. dark_hadou

dark_hadou Junior Member