Kerambit anyone?

Discussion in 'Kombatan' started by JBrainard, Oct 17, 2008.

1. JBrainard

JBrainard Arnis Yellow/Green belt

Has anyone here who trains exclusively in the Kombatan system trained in the use of / with a kerambit? How did you train? Did it mesh well with the strait blade training of Kombatan? I really like the feel of kerambits, but I don't want to mess around with one if it will be counter-productive to my training.
    I've only been doing Kombatan for about a year and a half, so if this is a stupid question, please tell me :)

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I don't do Kombatan, but I have done kerambit with my Senkotiros training, and it blends well with the training we do. Especially any techniques based off of icepick grip.

3. Heikki Martikainen

Heikki Martikainen New Member

I don't train Kombatan exclusively but I do train quite a bit with Karambits of various sizes and shapes.
    Karambit is trained in a wide variety of ways depending on your instructors background. They alla differ in subtle ways depending on the "core art" of the instructor. I say "core art" because few (if any) instructors have a solid Karambit background but implement Karambit into their art as they proceed onward as martial artists.
    This is very clear especially in Kempo/kenpo whose practitioners really finds easy adaptation of their existing techniques to Karambit.

I have trained Karambit with a bunch of people of wich I'd like to mention especially Punong Guro Jeff Espinous, Pangulong Guro Krishna Godhania and Tuhon Ray Dionaldo. Great inspiration and training.

Karambit training will fit just fine into your Kombatan training when you reach a high enough level of flow in empty hand techniques. I wouldn't compare Karambit training at all with Kombatan knife training since Kombatan knife training is much more linear and straightforward (cut-kill) than the more sneaky, circular and sometimes surprising moves that you can (and should) do with a Karambit.

There is lots of clips on Youtube on Karambit training if you are interested. Just make sure you practice safe. :)
    Good luck!

4. JBrainard

Thanks, both of you.

Thank you for the good advice Heikki. I probably should wait until I'm a black belt in Kombatan before I start messing around with different styles of knife training. After all, it is when you become a black belt that you "make the style your own," so to speak. Rather than muck around on Youtube, my instructor has some DVD's that he considers some of the best stuff on karambit training.

5. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I've always wanted to learn the Kerambit... Unfortunatley I haven't met anyone in Hawai'i who trains in it yet...

6. JBrainard

I just e-mailed my instructor, Jr. GM Mike Bowers. I'll find out who produced those Kerambit DVD's I mentioned above for you. I know it doesn't replace a real instructor, but it would probably be fun to mess around with. I'll post the name of the DVD's in this thread when I find out.

7. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

Jr. GM Mike Bowers?
    Is that the same as Sr. Master Mike Bowers?

BTW, Say "hey" to Jimmy and Danny for me.....

8. JBrainard

Yep, same master Mike.

I've only been studying Kombatan for about a year and a half, which is probably why I don't know anyone named Jimmy (unless you mean master Jim) or Danny.
    You are? (If you don't want to use your real name publicly, you can send me a private message).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  9. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

James Miyake and Danny Tiliano

10. JBrainard

Dig.
    I know Jim Miyake. He is now 6th degree under master Mike and is the chief instructor for Oregon. I used to see him on a somewhat regular basis, nowadays I only see him durring tests.
    I've heard the name Danny Tiliano thrown around but I don't know him personally.

But, again, I can't say "Hi" since I don't know who you are, sorry.

11. The Phalanx

Wasn't the Kerambit originally a tool to cut rice stalks with?

12. JBrainard

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerambit :

13. The Phalanx

So I was right about it being a tool to cut rice stalks with then... Cause I could have sworn I saw a similar knife being used in the rice fields when I was really young...