Kelly Worden

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by viejo, Sep 1, 2007.

1. viejo

viejo New Member

HI does someone knows his dvd "Destroy, Trap, Lock - Secrets of Limb Destruction, Trapping, and Joint Locking ???

maybe a short feedback
    Thanks

2. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

I really enjoyed the video as well as Im in the video, to me it has useful applications, but being a student of Datu's I thought I would add a review from another persons viewpoint.

http://home.att.net/~erik.mann/dtl.htm
    (This site has a ton of video reviews as well!!)

Company: Paladin Press
    Tape Name: Destroy, Trap, Lock
    Tape Cost: $39.95
    Length of Tape/Time:
    Number of Moves/Techniques: Too numerous to count
    Return Policy: Refund on damaged or defective tapes only
    Experiences in dealing with this company: Fantastic. Great customer service.
    The Instructor: Kelly Worden
    Company's Address: PO Box 1307, Boulder, Colorado, 80306
    Company's Phone Number: 303-443-7250
    Web Page: http://www.paladin-press.com
    E-Mail: sales@paladin-press.com
    Main Grading Criteria

Production/Tape Quality: 9
    Instructors demonstrated skill level: 10
    Comprehension Score:9
    Degree to which this will make someone a better Martial Artist: 9
    Score on delivery vs hype:9
    Degree to which we'd recommend this product: 10
    Wasted Time ( The lower the number, the less " fluff ") 10
    Playback Score/Watching it over-and-over again): 10
    Would I purchase more of this company's products: 10
    Overall grade based on cost vs value: 10

Grand Total: 96 % ( Excellent - 4 Stars ) Original grade was 95%
    Secondary Grading Criteria

Beginners: Good
    Intermediate: Excellent
    Advanced: Excellent
    Time to benefit: Not immediate but a huge payoff with practice
    The need to buy additional tapes to understand this one: None Written Summary:

I have been reading about Kelly Worden for years in the martial arts magazines but this tape is the first time I have seen Mr. Worden in action. I assure all the readers of this review that he is a very good martial artist and an excellent instructor as well.

It is hard to categorize the material that Mr. Worden teaches in this video. I would describe it as primarily a Filipino based system with strong influences from Wing Chun, Jiu Jitsu, and maybe a little Kenpo thrown into the mix.

The video assumes that the viewer has a basic understanding of martial arts. This is not a "how to punch " or " how to kick " video. Mr. Worden effectively integrates the striking and kicking range with the trapping range and the locking or grappling range. Keep your rewind button handy as Mr. Worden flows smoothly from one trapping and locking technique to another. There are many subtleties on this tape such as maintaining proper attachment and dissolving an opponent's forward energy. This tape also has one of the best demonstrations of practical use of the bong sao ( wing chun ) that I have ever seen. There is just so much material on this tape that I really cannot do it justice in a review.

My only criticism of this tape is that Mr. Worden may assume too much knowledge on the part of the viewers. He makes many references to " attack lines", " opening and closing gates " and similar terminology that might be confusing to some viewers. Personally, I loved it.

I would highly recommend this video to any martial artists but beginners should be warned that this is not something that will come easily at first. More experienced martial artists should be able to add much to their personal arsenals from this video and I am including those people who have trained in Filipino systems. This video goes a long way in helping martial artists " make the connection " between empty hand fighting and weapons training that is characteristic of the Filipino systems.

I had always thought of Kelly Worden as a weapons expert and I did not know that he taught such deadly empty hand material. People, just go out and buy this video. All intermediate and advanced martial artists need this video in their collection.

CJ

3. viejo

viejo New Member

Thanks for the INfo Robert...

4. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

Well I'm not in the video and haven't seen it specifically but I am a student of Datu Worden and know how much the DTL/travel wrench material ties the Wortec system together.

If you want no-BS effective material try this tape.

5. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Sorry, hope I didnt come off as arrogant. I just thought since I trained with Datu for quite a while my opinion would be biased and wanted to present an objective review.

6. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

7. viejo

viejo New Member

I didnt get it so.....

8. Bill Bednarick

No I did not think you were arrogant either Robert.

No worries!

9. Matt Lamphere

Matt Lamphere New Member

DTL is worth the buy. As all of Datu Worden's material. Get it.

I just got back from Water & Steel ... camp wes tremendous this year. Lots of great material. I shot hours of content and am currently working on editing the camp DVD set together.

Look for it on Kelly's website ... and of course updates on my site.

10. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the update and let us know when the camp DVD is finished.

11. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Saf-T-Wrench

Hot of the press...​
    Datu showed me the concept drawing a little while ago and now the Saf-T-Wrench has been put into production and is on sale. I think Im going to order a few of these and give them out to some good friends.​

Defend yourself with the “Saf-T-Wrench”

Self defense, personal protection, and physical security is the God given right of every American and individual worldwide.
    Sadly just watching the evening news illuminates a completely different reality than what “we the people” hope for as a society. Our streets are not safe, our Cities are literally cesspools riddled with crime, and yes, crime is everywhere!

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Citizens worldwide fall prey to criminal predators, as victims we have few options to provide immediate personal safety. Firearms, knives, and cumbersome steel or wood impact weapons offer little instantaneous security without POTENTIALLY DEADLY results[/FONT]​

[​IMG]

Buy 1 get 1 free!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  12. Bill Bednarick

Have you seen the newest ad?
    [​IMG]

13. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Interesting colors. The wrenches in clear and pink look like they could pass for hair accessories ;) "Yes officer, I just had this lil ol' pink thing in my hand...."

Edit: need to resize the picture

Attached Files:

14. Neaky

Neaky New Member

I was also at the Camp with Matt is was an amazing time i would definatley recomended it to any one, the DVD's are great I like the way they are formatted, it makes them very easy to use like a "textbook"

Good Job Matt LOL

15. Neaky

Neaky New Member

The Saftey Wrench Rules i have one and untill youshow people what it is (Just like the Travel wrench) they usally have no idea what it could be used for

PS that AD Rocks LOL