Kelly Worden Seminar Review.

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by arnisador, Oct 22, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Kelly Worden was in Bedford, IN this weekend, hosted by Ryan Massette. I was only able to make the Friday evening session on Defensive Knife. I had to miss the Saturday sessions on Modern Arnis and on Renegade JKD, and the Sunday sessions on Modern Arnis and on the Travel Wrench. There was a good turn-out the night I was there, with people from various surrounding states.

The knife session focused on the importance of mobility, as we defended against a 6-7-low 6-low 7 series of attacks, first empty-hand and then with a blade of our own. He strongly emphasized turning off the line of the attack and the importance of being aware of what would happen when our blade met his arm in defense. We practiced defensive snap-cuts and a reverse grip as well. He frequently showed how a defense with the knife translated to an empty-hand defense and to one with the travel wrench, and occasionally compared itto the stick.

The best part for me was, apart from a few Professor stories, the insights he provided into why we do certain things we do, and his colorful stories to illustrate the importance of certain strategies. He had a lot of practical advice, including ways to minimize damage to the opponent in a self-defense scenario.

It was also good to see people from the Evansville group again, and to finally meet Dan McConnell (Mao) in person! He and I worked together for a while, then I worked with his cousin. I really enjoyed chatting with him.

Thanks to Mr. Massette for bringing Datu Worden to Indiana for us!

2. Tarot

Tarot New Member

Oh that sounds like it would have been a blast! :D

One of the things I really enjoy about his seminars (aside from his amazing ability) is how he is able to put things into perspective. He gives real life examples which I find refreshing and it helps me as a student to learn better. And I also find the translations that you mentioned (empty hand to travel wrench) very helpful.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Full agreement! I found myself wishing I could take the time to write down many of his comments. From simple things like "If you can't see his hands, (assume) he has a weapon" to longer stories and advice, I found him very interesting to listen to about self-defense scenarios.

4. Mao

Mao New Member

Ryann Massette did a great job! It was good meet Mr. Leader and put a face with a name. It was nice to work with him too, even thought I was trying to be careful of, and protect my knee. I had dislocated it a few days before and had a brace on it. I had to move a bit differently. I left after the Sat. morning session, which included single and double stick, again relating it to the blade and empty hand. Even some of the most basic movements, like single sinawali, were brougt to life in an entirely different way. The joke for the few of us doing this was "so you think you know single sinawali?". And then to relate THAT to empty hand was very cool. I like the relation to self defense as well as classical lines and connecting these to be "all dee same". Enlightening. It was great to see many familiar faces as well as many new ones. I know people like Tarot and others would have loved to make it to this one, but there will be more.
    Thanks again to Ryan. Nice job.

5. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Datu has plenty of anecdotes and great advice. I trained in WA for approx 8 years and I dont think I heard the same one twice.

6. Matt Lamphere

Matt Lamphere New Member

Hey guys !

I just signed onto this forum and found this thread about the Bedford seminar. It was an tremendous event. As always Kelly really shared some great material.

It was well worth the drive from Michigan.

-Matt Lamphere

PS - Um, sorry again about the leg Dan. :)

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well, at least it gave the two of us a chance to work together!

-Jeff

8. Matt Lamphere

Matt Lamphere New Member

VERY true !

9. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Welcome to FMAtalk, Matt! :)

10. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Matt,

Glad to have you here on FMATalk!

11. Matt Lamphere

Matt Lamphere New Member

Glad to be here Brian !

12. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

For those of you who have not met Matt he is a friend of FMATalk poster Bill Bednarick and a student of Brian "Buzz" Smith (of Traverse City) as well as training regularly with Datu Kelly Worden. If you are every around and get a chance to train with Matt go for it. [​IMG]