Kamusta Kayo

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by jasin, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jasin

jasin New Member

Hi, I'm Jason from Wa state.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome!

3. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

4. scubamatt

scubamatt New Member

Welcome to the FMA Talk forums, Jason!

I'm in Florida, but we have people on these forums from all over the world!
    Are you a student of the Filipino Martial Arts? I'm pretty new to FMA, but I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far.

:)

5. Guro Marc

Guro Marc New Member

Greetings from the South Bay

Our group is down here So Cal in the So Bay. Greeting from our group.
    Guro Marc

6. franko808

franko808 New Member

Welcome to this AWESOME forum!!!!Hope you enjoy......

7. jasin

jasin New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

8. jasin

jasin New Member

I'm not a student per-say, but I am learning modern arnis from my girlfriend who is filipino and from the philippines. She's not really into the modern arnis though. She likes kino mutai better, thats more her style and personality.

9. jasin

jasin New Member

I'm not a student per-say, but I am learning modern arnis from my girlfriend who is filipino and from the Philippines. She's not really into the modern arnis though. She likes kino mutai better, thats more her style and personality.

10. Mangtas

Mangtas New Member

ROFLMAO! Thats a good one. Your face must be full of scratches by now : P

11. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Mabuhay!

Welcome Jasin. And if you don't mind,Tell us more about kino mutai,for those people like me that don't know about the style.

12. jasin

jasin New Member

haha lol

13. Mangtas

Mangtas New Member

Err.. unless I'm mistaken, I think Jasin was just trying to be funny. "Kino mutai" in the Visayan dialect means a catf1ght or a fight involving clawing, scratching and squeezing, preferably each other's faces. It comes from the root word "komot" which in bisaya means to squeeze or crumple.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I think it was Paul Vunak who popularized "kino mutai" here as the art of biting the opponent. There is, well, "some debate" as to whether it's an authentic Filipino style!

15. Mangtas

Mangtas New Member

Oh it's authentic alright, as far as catf1ghts in the Philippines go. But as to whether it can be considered an art, I'm not so sure. Besides, I'm not sure any full blooded Filipino male would wanna be associated with that term, if you are a bisaya and you are accused of being involved in a "kino mutai" incident, they usually mean to imply that "you fight like a g1rl". (No offense to the women)

16. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

I am Bisaya and full Blooded Filipino, and if unfortunately i am pinned down and not capable of using anything else to protect myself other than bitting my attacker ala Mike tyson, than call me 'bayot' or 'bakla' for all i care. It's typical of Filipino's to be close minded about anything. It's Machismo I think.

17. Mangtas

Mangtas New Member

I agree, I probably would do the same under the circumstances too. But to go so far as to actually market it as a separate martial art form and get paid to teach it is a bit too much I think.

18. silat1

silat1 Active Member

It's called american marketing at it's finest. For the geographically disadvantaged filipino martial arts practitioners who fall for anything that has a remote link to the Philippines, they snap it up in a new york minute..
    Everytime I see stuff like this, I am glad that I have a degree in marketing and glad that I don't prostitute the training that I've had over the years

19. rshawtx

rshawtx New Member

Or "Agi" for all the Hiligaynons/Illonggos in the house. I know the PTK practictioners would want to know what words to look out for when GT Gaje loses his temper and falls back into Hiligaynon. :)

20. citom

citom New Member

Hmm.. does that mean I can start marketing an art called "KuKagKalSab"? That's short for "Kurutan" (pinching), "Kagatan" (biting), "Kalmutan" (scratching), and "Sabunutan" (hair-pulling)...
    :coolyello