Kampilan trainer?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by DonKey, Mar 30, 2008.

1. DonKey

DonKey New Member

Is there a kampilan out there that's reasonably priced and would stand up to a bit of abuse? I'd hate to buy a $150+ blade and then tear it up or break it....

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Look to a friend of mine named Bill Bedarick who makes some seriously good metal trainers.. I have seen his work and at the last Sulong Tourney in chicago he made several trainers that were given out as prizes for the category winners.. He made me a bowie trainer in 05 when I had just sent him a picture and the dimensions of what I wanted. This turned out to be a dull version of my combat bowie of my own design that I had made in the early 2000's, it is a sweet tool and handles the same as my bowie.

Look at the sulong tourney thread in the forum for more information with Bill's contact info and product reviews.

3. Brock

Brock Asha'man

4. tellner

tellner New Member

Are you looking for metal, wood or plastic?

5. DonKey

DonKey New Member

Those metal trainers are right along the lines of what I'm looking for. I'll be in touch with Bill. Thanks everyone!

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I can't imagine grinding down a nice blade to get a trainer--yet, I'm always frustrated by the lack of trainers for the folders I buy.

7. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

8. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

Thanks for all of the good feedback!
    I hadn't seen this thread till today, which is funny since I just mailed out a Kampilan this afternoon.
    Here is how it turned out.
    [​IMG]

9. DonKey

DonKey New Member

so pretty I almost don't want to scratch it up.... almost :D

some more detail on the handle...

[​IMG]

10. Bill Bednarick

Yup, I knew that might be an issue. I looked at it today and said the very same thing. Almost too pretty to use.:EvilGrin:

Don't worry it will take the abuse and scars will give it character.

11. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

For those in Europe I would contact Mattias Jansson in Sweden. He has made me several training blades and they are some of the best in my collection! Here is what he has made me so far!

Attached Files:

12. DonKey

DonKey New Member

I've got a pair of sticks that are almost dead, I'll give it a whirl this weekend and post pics of the carnage..

13. DonKey

DonKey New Member

Anyone have tips on taking pictures of rattan? I'm having trouble....

Bills trainer tore up my stick pretty well though

14. Bill Bednarick

Glad to hear the Kampilan is happily destroying sticks!

15. William

William Mongrel Combative Arts

I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but the Kampilan thread in the general section brought me to this one.

Just an FYI, when we were training a lot of Kampilan vs. Barong I would use chrome automotive door guard protectors to protect the edge of the metal blades from getting too gouged up.

[​IMG]

It has adhesive inside and it sticks well to the blades. Cut it to the length you need. It blends in well so from a distance you don't even notice it....other then the dull thud sound it makes when blades meet. It can take a lot of abuse, unless the temps really drop, then it gets brittle and breaks...ask me how I know. :) When it comes time to go blade to blade it comes off fairly easily. basically it's a cheap way to protect your metal trainers.

Best regards,
    William

16. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

That's a great idea. Thanks.

17. William

William Mongrel Combative Arts

Glad to share.

Oh yeah, keep in mind that it works very well on straight edges and gradual curves. If the curve is too tight, not so much. Warming it a little sometimes helps.

Best regards,
    William